Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4 X 4 ,what to buy ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

all I can base my comments on is the fact that oneofthe guys that worked for us had a Santa Fe and we had to have him leaveit in the yard at work cos we were pi$$ed off havin to tow him up hills after us

Oh and we were generaly ableto tow him with the Sierra

Podge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the Sierra

In these quarters also known as the Suzuki LJ, which was replaced by the Jimny (which has about 30 - 40% more power)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

all I can base my comments on is the fact that oneofthe guys that worked for us had a Santa Fe and we had to have him leaveit in the yard at work cos we were pi$$ed off havin to tow him up hills after us

Oh and we were generaly ableto tow him with the Sierra

Podge

The Sorento is 4WD as is the Terracan and the new Santa Fe, and some of the old Santa Fe models. Don't make such a sweeping statement based on one 2WD machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joey90

Here's my 2 cents: Suzuki loses control at the back, a friend of mine could not get rid of one quick enough. Isuzu Troopers are popular in the Limerick region.... Santa Fe and Tuscon, Nissan X Trail and Rav 4 are very good "Soft Roaders", I'd keep away from Freelanders.

I've had 3 Pajero's, niggley little problems with them, but on my second Land Cruiser (newer model), which is excellent, very solid on the road, very fast, €75 euros gets me 850km. As Eddie Hobbs says about the Land Cruiser "If they're good enough for the Taliban, they're good enough for me!"

Full time 4WD is the only way to go TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

colm_mcm wrote:
    Full time 4WD is the only way to go TBH

But only if it has a lockable center diff, otherwise it turns into 0 WD at the first sight of wet grass :D

The machine I'm thinking of (the daddy ;) ) has lockable diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

colm_mcm wrote:
    The machine I'm thinking of (the daddy ;) ) has lockable diff.

Would that be an 80 series Colm?

leaning towards 90 series actually!

colm_mcm wrote:
    leaning towards 90 series actually!

I would class the 80 as the daddy!! Especially in 4.2td guise!! You can get them with 3 locking diff's :eek:

• Advertisement

My uncle used to have one. they were very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have over 200k miles in my 97 'cruiser and its still as strong as ever, one thing to watch is the tie rod ends, they are covered with a plastic gaiter and if the cable tie that holds the gaiter in place goes it won't be long before you are looking at replacing the tie-rod joint, at €120 +labour to fit and track they are an expensive part.
    I know I have had to replace 3 of them.
    BTW Eddie Hobbs replaced his old 'cruiser and my BIL has it now, very nice condition I would say that Eddie didn't do a lot of off road in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The 3.0 litre Isuzu has a soft engine with a tendancy to destroy turbos. If you must buy an Isuzu then buy the 3.1 litre coz they are more reliable. I would say if you want a big 4x4 then buy a Landcruiser, if you want a small 4x4 then buy the Suzuki Jimny.

I had a Toyota Hilux Surf for 5 years. It's basically a Colorado/Prado with a different bodyshell. I couldn't fault it in any way. There is a few in the trader atm. Maybe check one of them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Thanks for the replies so far.Was looking at the Suzuki grand vitara since.
    Few good things said about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I had a Toyota Hilux Surf for 5 years. It's basically a Colorado/Prado with a different bodyshell. I couldn't fault it in any way. There is a few in the trader atm. Maybe check one of them out?

I agree completly,
    The Surf is an amazing 4 X 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Mc-BigE wrote:

Nice! BTW how old does a car have to be to classify for vintage road tax. Also is it the same age requirement for classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

GB15 wrote:
    Nice! BTW how old does a car have to be to classify for vintage road tax. Also is it the same age requirement for classic insurance?

must be over 30 years old for 42 euro road tax

classic insurance depends on the car, some cars can become classics after 15 to 20 years, but usually its 25years. and it must be your 2nd car to get the cheap insurance.

Advertisement