Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transport Carlow - KK

• 12-03-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am currently living in Dublin and would love to move back home to KK however I would love to keep my job in Dublin in the process. My problem is I would need to be in City Centre for around 8am and I cant seem to find any link for buses or trains to have me there by that time. There is a train from Carlow that would have me up in time and leaves at 6:30am but the question is is there any public transport from Kilkenny to Carlow that would have me there for that time or have me in Dublin for 8am. Its a long shot I know. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a JJ kavanagh bus that would have you in the City Centre for 9am, but I don't know of anything earlier than that. There's a 6.45am train that would have you in Dublin for 8.45 am. I think you'd need to drive to get there earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I completely misread your post! Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Your early start is not that conducive to such a long commute is it? The train service from Plaoise is far superior, think there's a train at 7 in Dublin at 7.50 or so. Why not live there instead?.
    The earliest KK train is at 6.55. Why not email Irish Rail as to whether they plan to introduce an earlier train from KK in the coming years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭sk8board

isn't there a plan for hourly trains on the waterford - dublin route?

you'd like to speculate that a few of them WON'T stop at every single stop from newbridge to heuston, and get into dublin in about 1.5 hrs

sk8board wrote:
    isn't there a plan for hourly trains on the waterford - dublin route?

you'd like to speculate that a few of them WON'T stop at every single stop from newbridge to heuston, and get into dublin in about 1.5 hrs

Yes there was supposedly, but under Transport 21 it states every two hours, which won't be much more than what we have already. Also we aren't getting the new trains as soon as other lines.
    I see mary White has in her manifesto to double-track the line from Kidare to Waterford which is what's sorely needed if efficiency and speed is to be achieved on this line. It shouldn't take an hour and forty mins to get from KK to Heuston, that is ridulously slow imo:rolleyes: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

mfitzy wrote:
    Yes there was supposedly, but under Transport 21 it states every two hours, which won't be much more than what we have already. Also we aren't getting the new trains as soon as other lines.
    I see mary White has in her manifesto to double-track the line from Kidare to Waterford which is what's sorely needed if efficiency and speed is to be achieved on this line. It shouldn't take an hour and forty mins to get from KK to Heuston, that is ridulously slow imo:rolleyes: .

....and it take almost an hour to get from Waterford to Kilkenny which is farsical. A moped could go quicker:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

On a related topic, I was going for a job interview in Waterford, and it got me thinking that there is no public transport from Kilkenny to Waterford suited to people working there. The earliest train only arrives down there after 10 am, the buses only go through Paulstown and Gowran - not through Kilkenny city, and the Kilkenny to Waterford bus only goes 3 times a day starting at midday. Its pretty ridiculous.

Nightwish wrote:
    On a related topic, I was going for a job interview in Waterford, and it got me thinking that there is no public transport from Kilkenny to Waterford suited to people working there. The earliest train only arrives down there after 10 am, the buses only go through Paulstown and Gowran - not through Kilkenny city, and the Kilkenny to Waterford bus only goes 3 times a day starting at midday. Its pretty ridiculous.

Absolutely. The bus service between the two is a shambles, think there is a private bus that goes to Waterford at arealistic time i.e. before 9am.
    There should a train at 7.50am from KK to get into Waterford at 8.30am for workers and students. Afterall, KK is supposed to a connected Hub town to Waterford, the gateway...

Maybe when the new road is biult via Kilkenny from Wd to Dublin, some of the Kavannaghs buses might be run via kilkenny giving a proper connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I checked into it - the only bus service to get into Waterford by 9am is the WIT bus, which doesnt run from May - September which is kinda useless for anyone working.

Advertisement