Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/Shareware Audio Software?

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on a good, simple, free/shareware music composition program. I'm not especially proficient on any of the staple programs - Cakewalk, Pro-Tools, any of them, and the project isn't that far along so all I need is a simple piece of software where I can program drum tracks and some midi/sound files together to see how a song sound, any suggestions?

Garageband, which I have, would have been fine only the drums are impossible to program in without a midi-keyboard, which I don't have!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

sonar home studio, cubase se, mackie tracktion, fl studio. Most have demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Reaper is unbelievable and free. You can buy the expanded version for like....$40 I think, if you like it. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I take it if he has Garageband he's using a Mac? I don't think there's a Mac version yet, is there? I've heard great thing about Reaper though, must try it out soon for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I take it if he has Garageband he's using a Mac? I don't think there's a Mac version yet, is there? I've heard great thing about Reaper though, must try it out soon for myself.

Ah my bad...but doesn't garageband have amazing .wav loops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Asva

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on a good, simple, free/shareware music composition program. I'm not especially proficient on any of the staple programs - Cakewalk, Pro-Tools, any of them, and the project isn't that far along so all I need is a simple piece of software where I can program drum tracks and some midi/sound files together to see how a song sound, any suggestions?

Try using FlexiMusic Composer, a multi-track program for composing, editing and mixing of music using sampled instrument sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If you don't have a midi keyboard you're going to have a hard time getting the ideas from your head into real sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd recommend something like energyXT for PC but there aren't a lot of free/cheap sequencer/DAW options for the Mac platform unfortunately. You could go down the experimental route and try something like Pure Data or Csound, which are both free, but they're pretty hardcore. There's a massive gap in the market there actually, I wish someone could do a port of energyXT or something like that for Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 peanutroad

There is a version for Mac, still in development but one can download it and give it a try. I must admit I only got as far as downloading and haven't installed it yet to see if it's usable.

Advertisement