Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers & Sisters

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

When I decided last September (on my 36th birthday) to go and find my Birth Mother I never really thought of who else I might find.

So, much to my delight, I now find myself with four brothers and three sisters.

I've met my Birth Mother a few times since Christmas and we have gotten along extremely well. She's exactly the type of person I warm to. She's a lot like me, basically. Which bring me to my brother and sisters.

We met once some weeks back and it was a wonderful week-end and everybody was wonderful and welcoming and generally excited and on the sort of high that has been mentioned here in this forum. Some are a lot like me, some are less like me. Which is kinda what I expected.

Since the week-end, I'd had varying degrees of contact with them. Mostly because they are seven distinct personalities and some are more inclined to be in contact than others, I think. I mean, some of my friends like daily contact and some don't get in touch much from one end of the week to the other.

We are all meeting up again in a few weeks. By the time of the second meeting, I've grown very very close to a couple of them.

Has anyone here experienced similar with regard to large famillies?

I'd like to get to know them all equally, of course, but that's hardly likely. I live a distance away from them and (I gather) nobody gets on with everybody equally within any large family. I was an only child, so I have no frame of rererence for any of this.

I should also point out that it's giving me no stress or worry, either. The fact that I and my Birth Mother get on wonderfully, and the fact that I'm already very close to two of my siblings, is simply wonderful. When I imagined the best case scenario, this is pretty much how I hoped it might play out. So, I'm not worried, just curious about how these things might play out in the months/years ahead.

When we meet up again, I'm going to be inclined to spend time with the ones I'm already close to. Does that, I wonder, just increase the 'divide' between myself and the others? Or does it matter?

Has anyone gone through this?

Advertisement