Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip - NCAD

Options
  • 11-03-2007 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone

I would like to teach Art in secondary school. I currently have a first-class honours degree in design from GMIT.

I am applying for the HDip in Art & Design Education in NCAD. Just in case I don't get accepted for this, what other options (if any) are available to me?

Would other types of HDips allow me to teach Art in a secondary school?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aoife1982

Hi everyone

I am currently filling out the application form for the HDip in Art & Design Education.

As part of my 'personal statement', it is asking for my views on issues in education and school. Could anyone point me in the right direction (websites, books etc) for me to read up and inform myself on these issues?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Threads merged.. One thread is plenty Aoife1982 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Hi Aoife,

LIT and CIT also run the H Dip for secondary art teaching. the deadline for CIT is tomorrow though and I'm not sure about LIT.

I've been told by a secondary teacher that a degree is enough for you to be able to teach in a secondary school, but that you need a H dip to get a contract. (not sure on this, so if anyone can clarify... :D )
    There's nothing stopping you going round your local schools, dropping in your CV and letting them know you'd be interested in the odd substitute day if the art teachers are ill. You have left it a bit late though and the chances of you getting substitue hours before NCAD's deadline (April 1st) aren't great.

As for reading... I don't think there are any major issues in art teaching at the moment. And if you start talking about issues in your personal statement its bound to be brought up in the interview. So I guess my advice is talk about things you know (issues from your secondary school days, college issues). Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aoife1982

Thanks for the advice. Have applied to LIT and CIT also. I have a good bit of teaching experience so Im not to worried about that. Im in the process of writing letters to schools but you are right it is a bit late but I was travelling so that couldn't be helped! Fingers crossed something will come up! Anyway thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Interview date for this course (NCAD H.Dip art teaching) is now Tuesday 1st May and letters are in the post, so approx 2 weeks to get the drawing project done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement