Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Ring Road

• 12-03-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

According to Minister Cullen speaking on WLRfm, "news at one", The Outer Ring Road is to be designated a National Road, meaning the NRA has to take responsibility for it...

Could this mean (Fingers Crossed) that the speed limit will be increased to 100 Km/h

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bards wrote:
    Could this mean (Fingers Crossed) that the speed limit will be increased to 100 Km/h

I dont think so. The speed limit reflects the distance between the roundabouts, and that at some points, the visibility isnt overly huge because the rise of the road reduces it.. i.e. its hard to see over the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Trotter wrote:
    I dont think so. The speed limit reflects the distance between the roundabouts, and that at some points, the visibility isnt overly huge because the rise of the road reduces it.. i.e. its hard to see over the hill.

If that's the case, how come the Kilkenny Ring road, which is a national road, and is single lane with roundabouts even closer together that the ORR and that has a 100 Km/h speed Limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bards wrote:
    If that's the case, how come the Kilkenny Ring road, which is a national road, and is single lane with roundabouts even closer together that the ORR and that has a 100 Km/h speed Limit

No idea.. thats the "excuse" I was given when I asked around anyway. I agree with you though. I'd settle for an 80 limit on the road.. 60 is way too slow. Maybe its ok for now while they're working on it but it can handle an 80 limit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's sixty cos it'll be a residential area in a little while. The majority of traffic on it is going to be earth movers and heavy plant for the next few years. Try do 100 then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roen = Spoilsport!

Hopefully the NRA will resurface the bloody thing, it must be the crappiest 'new' surface ever on a brand new road.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

mike65 wrote:
    Roen = Spoilsport!

Hopefully the NRA will resurface the bloody thing, it must be the crappiest 'new' surface ever on a brand new road.

Mike.

Maybe they'll do that after they finish doing the footpaths!

It is very hard to stay to 60km/h on that road all right, 80 would be better if not a 100km/h. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

@Roen: Roads in residential areas are 50kph usually, and I doubt that the estates will have entrances straight onto the road like the golf course does, it would defeat the purpose.

@mike65: The speed limits in this country do not accurately reflect the road conditions they are applied to, except for the williamstown back road on which exceeding 50 can be dangerous, especially with the construction, and the sh1te surface.

The biggest mistake was the decision to put footpaths on that road, it is a shaggin' ring road, a mini motorway to some extent, the idea is to allow traffic to bypass the dunmore residential areas and get into town, or to Cork that much quicker. When they finish the link between the old kilmeaden road to the second bridge, and straight across Mullinbro and presumably where the Limerick/Dublin roads are meeting, where I assume they will eventually have that promised motorway to Dublin.. which will probably still be tolled in 3/4 places and have stupid sections where the speed limit drops to 60 and tiny speed signs giving drivers little time to slow down, then we will have the obligitory fish-in-a-barrel garda picking off people as they go past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

rogue-entity, you may want to visit the Infrastructure forum, there is a thread on the new by pass with a decent NRA map.

Mike.

I have seen it, okay, so the road isnt going to go from the old kilmeaden road straight across the bridge, their is an interchange where it joins another road/ that will cross the bridge, but my point is the same. On the map they dont mention a motorway to dublin, and only one toll booth. But, if they do have a motorway to dublin, it will probably have 2-3 other toll points and it will probably also bypass the towns/cities en route and link into the N25 bypass works that they are building now. You can get a map from the NRA.ie website, but this same map doesnt show the current R710 Waterford Outer Ring Road though.

I have seen it, okay, so the road isnt going to go from the old kilmeaden road straight across the bridge, their is an interchange where it joins another road/ that will cross the bridge, but my point is the same. On the map they dont mention a motorway to dublin, and only one toll booth. But, if they do have a motorway to dublin, it will probably have 2-3 other toll points and it will probably also bypass the towns/cities en route and link into the N25 bypass works that they are building now. You can get a map from the NRA.ie website, but this same map doesnt show the current R710 Waterford Outer Ring Road though.

I'll say it again.. the Motorway from Waterford to Dublin will not be tolled.. it is being built out of exchequer and EU funds hence the HQDC fudge....

• Advertisement

Still, I wouldnt put it past the Government to toll it anyway.. and then hand that part over to a private company, just to cover "maintainance", I am nothing if not cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Bards wrote:
    I'll say it again.. the Motorway from Waterford to Dublin will not be tolled.. it is being built out of exchequer and EU funds hence the HQDC fudge....

Did the guy from NTR not state on Matt Cooper a while back when he was talking about the lifting of the barriers on the M50 that it would be tolled ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

The motorway won't be tolled but the bridge will be. :rolleyes:

Junior wrote:
    Did the guy from NTR not state on Matt Cooper a while back when he was talking about the lifting of the barriers on the M50 that it would be tolled ?

The 2nd River Crossing is being tolled which is part of the Waterford City Bypass and is being operated by NTR. The Motorway will be toll free... they are trying to fool the electorate into thinking that the Waterford to Dublin road is being tolled like all the other Inter Urban routes, when in fact what they are talking about is the bypass

Advertisement