Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Updates

• 12-03-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

Trying to update vista using windows update, keeps coming back with an error, looked it up and it says its because my time is set incorrectly.

Ive amended the time manually and also tried to sync it using the internet time option, still cant pull updates down, would it be my firewall thats blocking it (Kaspersky Interent Security)?

Anybody else having this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

No .. but have tyou tried it without the firewall..

Do you have a router before your internet connection, that could be also out of sync

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

srdb20 wrote:
    Alright lads,

Trying to update vista using windows update, keeps coming back with an error, looked it up and it says its because my time is set incorrectly.

Ive amended the time manually and also tried to sync it using the internet time option, still cant pull updates down, would it be my firewall thats blocking it (Kaspersky Interent Security)?

Anybody else having this issue?

Windows Vista is a disaster, I installed it on my laptop last week and I would of had better joy if I installed Windows 98 instead. You are better off holding off for several months until some of the bugs are sorted out and more drivers become availible.

It installed on my machine just fine and mine is a custom build.. used XP drivers wherever it couldnt pick it up from the Vista install.. Only thing it didnt install was a Silicon Image SIL3132 SATA controller which isnt bad considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Will give it a bash when i get home, ill let you guys know how it goes?

Turned of Kaspersly and voila!!!! Updates went through fine

• Advertisement

Might have been a conflict between your firewall and vista updates in that it wasnt allowed through as a trusted program

Id say so, ill have to find out which program needs to be allowed out.

If anybodys knows, id would be greatly appreciated...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Did it give a error code

Yes, but the error code referred to the date and time being incorrect, which it wasnt...

Any chance that your Time Zone is wrong. Not sure if that would make a difference but may be worth checking.

• Advertisement

Check that aswell its GMT Dublin, London, Lisbon, London..

I even updated the time with the internet time option on the date and clock.

It updates and says that its fine, then i try Windows update but still wont connect, when i turn kaspersky off, it goes through no problem...

I'll just have to fiddle around with it untill i get it working wit kaspersky, just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue

I am pretty sure i saw something on the KAV forum.

Can't find it now but if you want check here.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

Ye i found it just there seems to be down to, Kaspersky scanning outgoing and incoming SSL connections, it gives a fix, so ill try that when i get home.

Cheers lads

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got rid of vista today, memory overhead was three times what xp was using. I'm sure it'll get faster with a service pack or two. Didn't mind too much as we had a few copies not being used in work so wasn't paying anything for it.

Liked windows mail though. :) Back to thunderbird.

Was thinking of doing this myself, but i like the Aero interface, and ive a few gigs of ram so its not to bad for me, around 1 gig of ram being used when idle.

I think ill stick with Vista and ride the wave, it can only get better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

MarkR & srdb20 the reason it uses more memory is because its supposed to by design it's a better system to have in the first place. This article explains it more in depth.

I'd say your already on the right track with KIS blocking the updates srdb20.

I agree with that.

On my 2GB rig, it routinely uses 1.1gb while doing very little.

However that is released very quickly when the memory is needed. Also have an XP rig which responds much slower dispite using only about 400mb when idle.

Remember, that your Graphics card now uses your RAM when it is not needed for anything else.

Advertisement