Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowling Related Injuries?

Options
  • 12-03-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Talking to my friend last night, she couldn't believe that you could get injured playing bowling. When you think about it though, there is a lot of force put on some parts of your body when you're chucking the ball down the lane.

I have a dodgy left knee which i'm convinced is because of bowling (or my clutch) but is probably due to the friction put on the bottom of my knee cap when I release the ball. (I never wear bowling shoes - out of habit). I also have a dodgy middle finger on my right hand (it is in bits today after 2 games last night). Others include a dodgy left and right shoulders (only bowl right handed) and hip, groin and leg problems.

These days, I can't play more than two games at a time (if there's less than 2 people generally).
    I remember a few months ago we went up for a few games the night before we went to London on the lash. Four of us took a lane each, bowled continuously for about 50 minutes. Such a bad idea.

For the whole of the weekend in London we were broken. Could bearly stand or walk at time.

People who go bowling are generally never warmed up before they play, and it is does put a lot of pressure on your arms, upper back and legs.

Any of ye got any bowling related injuries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

When I was working at Superdome I used to get free bowling so I'd bowl for hours at a time once my shift was over. As a result after three months of doing this I developed symptoms of RSI along the inside of my right forearm. Painful!

I also used to regularly lose skin from the inside of my thumb...that and the RSI was a bit embarrassing and led to the inevitable jokes about too much 5-knuckle-shuffling :o

Can't believe you don't wear bowling shoes.:eek: We had to wear them on-shift! It meant being careful when running across the top of the Brunswicks A2 and jumping from one machine to the next but we had to wear them :) I couldn't bowl without them, I'd probably kill myself trying :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I ended up with a dodgy knee years ago from bowling. I ended up straining the medial ligament due to a type of RSI. Basically my knee wasn't staying straight when I released the ball, it was moving to the side, straining the ligament. Eventually after numerous trips to a physio the problem was found and I got a pair of orthotics for my bowling shoes which kept everything in line. Unfortunately a more serious but unrelated knee injury a few years later put paid to all bowling for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

No injuries that I can think of but I have developed a callus near the base of my thumb.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 glen290

I have had surgery done on my left knee due to medial ligament wear and tear, through years of bowling.

bnwadminzh2.png

tdluserds0.png

Advertisement