Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hibernia, a few QS

Options
  • 12-03-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a few specific Qs that I couldnt find answers to anywhere on this board. I would be grateful if anyone could help me.

1)Is it possible to work and earn a decent wage while doing the hibernia course? I know you can do it in theory, but is the workload too heavy to allow someone to work at the same time?

2)How hard/easy is it to get subbing jobs while doing the course? (in dublin).

3)Is the course covered by either a grant or tuition fee?

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out because I really want to do this course, but unfortunately I might not be able to afford it.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

#15 wrote:
    1)Is it possible to work and earn a decent wage while doing the hibernia course? I know you can do it in theory, but is the workload too heavy to allow someone to work at the same time?

If you have a fulltime job outside of teaching, its very difficult. Most of the people in my class are already substitute teaching in various capacities.

#15 wrote:
    2)How hard/easy is it to get subbing jobs while doing the course? (in dublin).

I cant say specifically about Dublin but with subbing, the more effort you put in meeting principals and handing in CVs, the more days here and there you'll get. From those bits and pieces come more extended subbing periods because the principals will have developed a relationship or a trust with you.

#15 wrote:
    3)Is the course covered by either a grant or tuition fee?

Neither.. Its up to you. You can claim tax relief on the fees though.
    #15 wrote:
    I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out because I really want to do this course, but unfortunately I might not be able to afford it.

If at all possible, go for the course. Its been a really exciting and busy time for me and Im looking forward to getting a class of my own somewhere in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I probably wont be able to afford the course, I'm really kicking myself for not going to pats straight after the LC. I had the points and everything.

Is it possible to get a permanent position while doing the hibernia course?

What is the situation with the postgrad in pats- I know you apply in autumn but I've heard its hard to get into the course.
    I graduate this summer, what am I meant to do until next Feb?

Its really confusing!!!

#15 wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I probably wont be able to afford the course, I'm really kicking myself for not going to pats straight after the LC. I had the points and everything.

Is it possible to get a permanent position while doing the hibernia course?

What is the situation with the postgrad in pats- I know you apply in autumn but I've heard its hard to get into the course.
    I graduate this summer, what am I meant to do until next Feb?

Its really confusing!!!

You can get long term subbing during the course but not a permanent job. You must be qualified to be permanent. Long term subbing is difficult to get because principals are compelled to make efforts to hire a qualified person first.

The 18 month fulltime postgrad is extremely hard to get into, and will be increasingly difficult as the number of applicants continues to rise.

You could maybe look to get a low interest education loan from your bank. I did that and asked for my repayments to be kept to a minimum for the first 18 months. Its working very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I ight try that, thanks for the advice trotter. Its shaping up to be a very large loan, however, with fees, living expenses, laptop+broadband, and rent. I really need to get working if I do this course!!

What are the most important elements for getting into those courses? Is there different priorities between the colleges? I feel like I would have a decent chance.
    I got an A2 in Irish in the LC, I have lots of experience of working with children in summer camps and I have a small amount of teaching experience (only about 4-5 days!!). The only thing is my Irish probably isn't up to standard at the minute. Would they allow for a lower standadrd of Irish if they know that I am capable of getting back to the level I was at just a few years ago?

Sorry trotter, I am really quizzing you!!!

#15 wrote:
    I ight try that, thanks for the advice trotter. Its shaping up to be a very large loan, however, with fees, living expenses, laptop+broadband, and rent. I really need to get working if I do this course!!

What are the most important elements for getting into those courses? Is there different priorities between the colleges? I feel like I would have a decent chance.
    I got an A2 in Irish in the LC, I have lots of experience of working with children in summer camps and I have a small amount of teaching experience (only about 4-5 days!!). The only thing is my Irish probably isn't up to standard at the minute. Would they allow for a lower standadrd of Irish if they know that I am capable of getting back to the level I was at just a few years ago?

Sorry trotter, I am really quizzing you!!!

Dont worry! I did the same thing to everyone 18 months ago. Sounds like you have a good starting point to go for interview alright. You can definitely work for the first few months of the course in any job. Its the Teaching Practices that make things awkward. They blocks of 4, 5 and 5 weeks where you'll be in a school (unpaid) doing the TP. For that you'd need leave of some sort from a job.

You will pick up plenty of subbing though.. theres lots to be had, and if you get your foot in the door early in a big school, there'll be no stopping you. Its €120 ish a day now for unqualified subs.

Where theres a will theres a way :)

Remember.. at a starting salary of around 35k gross including allowances etc, you'll be earning enough to get rid of whatever loan you get to keep you going in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Howdy Trotter,

I'm just started the Feb 07 course and am enjoying it so far.
    I was just wondering, where did you get the 35000 figure for salary from?
    Pay was fairly low down my priority list for doing the course but I assumed I'd be taking a fairly substantial paycut to go into teaching. 35000 isn't nearly as low as I thought it would be?
    Could you let me know if that's a standard or does that include all the extras such as teaching in a Gaeilscoil etc.

would appreciate the advice

Helmet wrote:
    Howdy Trotter,

I'm just started the Feb 07 course and am enjoying it so far.
    I was just wondering, where did you get the 35000 figure for salary from?
    Pay was fairly low down my priority list for doing the course but I assumed I'd be taking a fairly substantial paycut to go into teaching. 35000 isn't nearly as low as I thought it would be?
    Could you let me know if that's a standard or does that include all the extras such as teaching in a Gaeilscoil etc.

would appreciate the advice

Well I think we start on point 1 on the scale, (I think!) so thats €30420 basic, plus degree allowance for an honours degree of €4831.. so thats.. €35251.

http://www.into.ie/ROI/WorkingConditions/Salaries/CalculatingSalary/

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Hello again,

I kind of assumed the primary degree allowance was for a degree in a teaching discipline.
    Does this apply to any degree held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seastar

With regard to pay, Hibernia grads start on point 2 on the pay scale. But, every hibernia grad should protest about this as all the other post grads start on point 3, as do teachers who qualify through the UK post grads. Bit unfair really.

Helmet - You get allowances for your degree (any field), one post grad (either masters of hdip), and some other courses e.g. grad dip in special ed.

#15 - don't let finances hold you back from the course if it is what you want to do. You can go on the dole on a casual basis and get some money for the days you're not subbing. You will get by and the time flies, with a great career at the end of it.

Advertisement