Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Joinery EcoTherm Windows

Options
  • 12-03-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm thinking of putting in Munster Joinery Ecotherm windows, they're aluminium with a thermal break, U value of 1.5 I think. 0ver 50% more expensive than uPVC though.

Any thoughts or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,444 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how are they in terms of looks vrs uPVC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭duleekboy

google is your friend here or the search box above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

In the last version of the DEAP software I had seen, the window performance (U-value including the frame) MUST be CERTIFIED by an independant body (Iab) - if not thermal performance must be taken from the Part L regulations document.
    Have they got this claim certified by anyone - that's the bottom line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SimonH

I have recently installed wood grain pvc into my house from Munster Joinery. I found the quality very good. Front Door, Back Door, Garage door and 2 large windows in the garage and 22 windows in the house.....total cost 10,000 euro. I am awainting them to return and install the conservatory windows and door for another 4000 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mysterion

I have fitted out a large extension with these windows and while they look fantastic and the build quality is impressive I have been shocked by the levels of condensation on all the aluminium frames during the recent cold spell. I have tested the moisture levels (they are normal) and even experimented with a dehumidifier but it makes no difference. On a cold morning all the frames are literally dripping with condensation. Thermal break?... Draw your own conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Isobar

I would recommend getting a few quotes for aluminium windows from some other companies... I know Window & Roofing Concepts do thermally broken aluminium windows (they can be dual colour also!) http://www.glazeireland.com

As for condensation, usually this is more of a ventilation issue, than the windows. Trickle vents or permavents on the windows should limit the amount of condensation.

OP... personally for a domestic house, I would use a uPVC window rather than aluminium window. You can get similar U-values using either, and when the cost is taken into account, uPVC is a better choise for domestic houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

ardara1 wrote: »
    In the last version of the DEAP software I had seen, the window performance (U-value including the frame) MUST be CERTIFIED by an independant body (Iab) - if not thermal performance must be taken from the Part L regulations document.
    Have they got this claim certified by anyone - that's the bottom line?

Given that most\all of the high end window systems I've seen are coming in from abroad and are highly unlikely to have IAB does this not add another item to long list of why the energy rating system is pointless? I could put in absolutely awful (performing) windows that don't meet the Part L values and get a higher rating than I deserve!

There are 5 companies with certified windows on the IAB site. 1 was a Fakro roof window certified this year, the next one was in 2002. I don't think window importers will be charging to give the IAB their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Clarelassie

Hi,

Just about to order our windows for our new build. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of trickle vents over permavents in the windows?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement