Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an IP Address

Options
  • 12-03-2007 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a method to find out an IP address of a device on a network?
    I haven't a clue what it could be but I do know it's MAC address. I've tried looking at the arp cache but it's not in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

What kind of device?

Does it have a name?

Need details......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Put some kind of sniffer like ethereal on the network for a while and it's likely to eventually pick up something (probably broadcast stuff) coming from that MAC address.

Alternatively pick up some tool to do a complete ping scan across your subnet .. if it responds, it'll be in your arp cache then.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

NutJob wrote:
    What kind of device?

Does it have a name?

Need details......
    It's an ascendance aeronaut 250. I'm not even sure it's working properly so dunno if a sniffer will find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

zippy28 wrote:
    It's an ascendance aeronaut 250. I'm not even sure it's working properly so dunno if a sniffer will find anything.
    Try a ping scan then. I mean, if it isn't even working properly, then what other choice do you have? Unless you have physical access to it, of course, in which case I assume it has some kind of reset mechanism built in to allow you to reset the IP address back to default so that you can re-install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

manual says
    http://www.jeffcosoho.com/manuals/a250_user_guide.pdf

under software config says all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If it's not showing up on your DHCP server - A free/quick way to check would be to run an nmap scan of the subnet adding ">c:\nmap.txt" to pipe the results to a text file (this will include IP and MAC address info). I've used it to find 'lost' devices before. If you have smart switches that allow you to read their Mac Address Tables you can hunt through to find the switch/port it's attached to.

NutJob wrote:
    manual says
    http://www.jeffcosoho.com/manuals/a250_user_guide.pdf

under software config says all you need to know.
    Cheers, I was looking for that.

I have the circuit board sitting on the desk here and did the hardware reset. Still no reply from 192.168.2.254 so I reckon it's dodgy. Anyone know where I could get a new circuit board for the rootenna enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Heres a handy tool that i use if i need to find an ip
    You can set a manual range to scan through.

http://www.lookatlan.com/

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

zippy28 wrote:
    Anyone know where I could get a new circuit board for the rootenna enclosure?

wirelessconnect.eu look for a rb133 single slot board and a radiocard , and you can communicate with it by MAC address so handy for these sort of situations .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It may not have a MAC address (yet)
    or a junk one - reset and program again
    check the default one in the manual incase it's already reset

run a network scanner like tcpdump/windump/ethereal and power up the device and see what pops up - you can filter by MAC

next step is put both devices on a hub so packets go to all ports
    if you don't have a hub then you can port forward on some switches

• Advertisement

bushy... wrote:
    wirelessconnect.eu look for a rb133 single slot board and a radiocard , and you can communicate with it by MAC address so handy for these sort of situations .
    As always, bang on the money bushy. Now had I looked at your link before now I wouldn't have had to ask that question :D.

Does the rb133 come with Mikrotik preloaded or would it need to be bought as an extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It comes preloaded ready to go.

Advertisement