Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to Moderators[Bargain Alerts]

Options
  • 12-03-2007 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

What would moderators think about creating a seperate section for "Bargain Alert Requests" ?

The title is "Bargain Alerts" and imo it should be for just that, just alerts to bargains, im not having a go at people who want to find a good deal on something I just ask that the forum not be filled up with requests as is currently happening.

Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

agreed, was just thinking this myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has been suggested a few months ago and the general feeling was no, to just leave it as is. I would not like a separate forum for requests as it would create more work for the moderators and the requests been lost. I have gotten many a bargain so I will happily help out someone else looking for one.

I don't think the request threads hang around too often anyway and are normally gone within a couple of hours when the questions are answered and more bargains come around. The current system works for me and is enough.
    Moving this to Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

I disagree with the proposal of a seperate forum. I look at Bargain Alerts for my own consumer purposes, not someone elses. In the middle of all that, if I happen to see a request that I have knowledge on, I’m quite happy to contribute to it. It’s less likely that I would go to a separate request forum to see if I can be of help to anyone. I think it’s human nature to look out for “Numro Uno”, hence the number of replies to a request thread in a designated forum would be reduced.

In summary, setting up a separate forum for requests would reduce the number of replies to each thread, and I think all of us who are bargain alert regulars would suffer as a consequence. (Information is power!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

FrCrilly wrote:
    I disagree with the proposal of a seperate forum. I look at Bargain Alerts for my own consumer purposes, not someone elses. In the middle of all that, if I happen to see a request that I have knowledge on, I’m quite happy to contribute to it. It’s less likely that I would go to a separate request forum to see if I can be of help to anyone.
    My sentiments also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Fair enough, was just a suggestion as the bargain alerts page seems to get completely cluttered somedays with requests, and even more annoying sometimes the word "request" or "req" isnt in title.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it does get a bit cluttered and couldn't be more annoying when there is no 'req' in the title. Wouldn't say a requests forum would work though, readership would be low and people would continue to post in the main forum anyway..

tw0nk wrote:
    Fair enough, was just a suggestion as the bargain alerts page seems to get completely cluttered somedays with requests, and even more annoying sometimes the word "request" or "req" isnt in title.

There are 4 requests on the page right now, hardly cluttered. It rarely gets that way from what I look at. I normally get around to adding Request to the titles fairly promptly if not done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ruu, maybe the point thats been raised could be looked at - ie. ensuring that "request" appears in the thread title. This is just a suggestion but if it could be put into the charter or "read before posting" sticky that unless the thread includes the word "request" it will be deleted - only an idea but could be more work for the mods though.

That is something to consider alright. Thanks for the feedback all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Cheers Mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

At this stage, there's probably a forum here for most things people are looking to buy. If they asked in the relevant forum where the best place was to buy a cheap <whatever>, they'd probably get a lot more informed decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Another forum to discuss whats happening in another forum :rolleyes: , at this rate boards will impload in 2010.

Advertisement