Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking stuff veggie

Options
  • 12-03-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

There seems to be quite a few products out there that aren't marked as veggie, like a lot of soft drinks (Coke, Fanta, etc), chocolate bars (except cadbury's), HB ice cream. Does anyone know if these are veggie or not?

Do some companies just not bother marking products as veggie even though they are?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Nature Boy wrote:
    There seems to be quite a few products out there that aren't marked as veggie, like a lot of soft drinks (Coke, Fanta, etc), chocolate bars (except cadbury's), HB ice cream. Does anyone know if these are veggie or not?

Do some companies just not bother marking products as veggie even though they are?

i done a project on these companies many years ago Coke and Mars products are not veggi friendly, if you write to them they will tell you what is veggie friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just checked up on the Coke thing.

According to the Coca Cola Uk website, Coke is fine but Fanta and Lilt are not as they use fish gelatine to stabilise the beta-carotene.

I was surprised at this. Never thought they would not be suitable.

Learn something new every day.

k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Do you know about Diet Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I was on the site too. They pretty much say that everything is ok except for fanta, lilt, and a few other small brands. So one could assume that diet coke is ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes Nature Boy, they don't bother.
    Like when people don't bother to put vegan on things.
    M&M's was a big hit when I found out the red ones were not vegetarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

goodness! thanks for the info :D i'd be tempted to write to coke and ask that they label their product accordingly.

ok, i checked it out and i see what you mean!

"Can you tell me which of your products are suitable for vegetarians?
    None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:

'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit with Calcium
    'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush
    'Schweppes' Deuce no added sugar Orange & Guava"

all from http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/
    i can't believe it!!!

:Di was so surprised by all this info that i got on to the irish vegetarian society about it. they sent a lovely reply;
    "Thanks for getting in touch about this - a hot topic which has indeed crossed our desks before, but yet can be hard to get concrete information on. "
    "I am thrilled though that you have got in touch with this information, as it is exactly this type of sleuthing that we all need to share just to get info out to interested parties. I am currently putting the finishing touches to the Spring 2007 edition of the newsletter and will include some information for readers.
    If you come across any further info in the future, be sure to get in touch with us, it is always much appreciated."

so there you go. :) i guess we should share the info we come across more often!

Advertisement