Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well just got my NTL broadband back after 5 days

Options
  • 12-03-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've had no Broadband since last Wednesday, I live in the Lucan Area, when I rang on Wednesday there was a recorded message that there was a major outage in the Lucan area, rang to customer service to register lose of service anyway, they set up an engineer for the 20th of March in case it was the modem (which I knew it wasn't). Rang them on Thursday dopey girl said no reports of areas down in lucan area and I would have to wait for engineer to call. Luckily I knew neighbour across the road had NTL bb as well so called in to hi and his was down as well, so got him to log a call and rang NTL back to say that neighbours was also down. Friday got a call from tech support and they were not aware of any issues in the area, told him of neighbours being down and he said he would email his supervisior and get them to send engineer out to check local node anyway it came back this morning and seems to be working fine again, would you believe just got a call from tech support again to see if I was still having issues, I asked him when they where going to sort out the traffic routing issues and he told me in the next couple of weeks. He also told me that NTL were installing new traffic shaping system to help sort out contention issues.
    Anyway its been a pain in the arse for the last 5 days having no broadband and trying to get support from NTL.

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hi All,

I've had no Broadband since last Wednesday, I live in the Lucan Area, when I rang on Wednesday there was a recorded message that there was a major outage in the Lucan area, rang to customer service to register lose of service anyway, they set up an engineer for the 20th of March in case it was the modem (which I knew it wasn't). Rang them on Thursday dopey girl said no reports of areas down in lucan area and I would have to wait for engineer to call. Luckily I knew neighbour across the road had NTL bb as well so called in to hi and his was down as well, so got him to log a call and rang NTL back to say that neighbours was also down. Friday got a call from tech support and they were not aware of any issues in the area, told him of neighbours being down and he said he would email his supervisior and get them to send engineer out to check local node anyway it came back this morning and seems to be working fine again, would you believe just got a call from tech support again to see if I was still having issues, I asked him when they where going to sort out the traffic routing issues and he told me in the next couple of weeks. He also told me that NTL were installing new traffic shaping system to help sort out contention issues.Anyway its been a pain in the arse for the last 5 days having no broadband and trying to get support from NTL.

Snake ;)

I really hope it is in the next couple of weeks, however i really doubt it.

That new traffic shaping policy does not sound good for us torrent users.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Good Boy

for sorting things out and for keeping after them to sort out their responsibilities.
    I bet they won't reimburse you for loss of service.

Regards

Good Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I'm in the lucan area and I've actually noticed and increase in service with lower pings, probably because everyone else's connection is down eh :D

It went down for like 10 minutes yesterday, but that's sort of it

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Cheers Mang for the shadenfreude, incidently I wish (666) lightning to strike your house and your broadband/tv/electrics are gone for ever.;)

My broadband has been out since sunday. I logged a call last night and next time they can send an Engineer out is 05 april 07 so if it doesn't fix itself then no service for 3 weeks. I'll be looking for money back on that. I must go round and knock on some doors tonight and hopefully people will have same problem and call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hey Ozziej

if your sync light or ready lights are flashing then its not the modem its down in your area, if you can find one of your neighbours who has NTL bb and they confirm its down, get their name and address and ask them to log a call, then ring customer service back and say you and your neighbours are down and give them the name and address of your neighbour who will have hopefully logged a call, they should send an engineer out to check area then.

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Whats the deal with traffic shaping, can they legally do that? You aint getting what you pay for, in my view. There are plenty of legit uses for torrents. Surely the data limits should be enforced rather than just out right 'banning' (for want of a better word) a perfectly legit use of the internet??

Won't get near the download caps without the torrents, any other providers bringing in this shaping??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mollser wrote:
    Whats the deal with traffic shaping, can they legally do that? You aint getting what you pay for, in my view. There are plenty of legit uses for torrents. Surely the data limits should be enforced rather than just out right 'banning' (for want of a better word) a perfectly legit use of the internet??

Won't get near the download caps without the torrents, any other providers bringing in this shaping??

Shaping isnt banning, its limiting. Torrents by nature take as much as they can for as long as they can, restricting the speed of torrents during peak times will more than likely keep more people happy in the long run when their speeds for gaming etc heads back to normal, I only wish digiweb would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Jumpy wrote:
    Shaping isnt banning, its limiting. Torrents by nature take as much as they can for as long as they can, restricting the speed of torrents during peak times will more than likely keep more people happy in the long run when their speeds for gaming etc heads back to normal, I only wish digiweb would do it.

hmm, wouldn't have thought 10pm is peak time though???!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Jumpy wrote:

I thought most "torrent" programs had settings to limit upload & download, don't the users bother to configure them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mollser wrote:
    hmm, wouldn't have thought 10pm is peak time though???!

5/6pm till about 10pm is generally considered peak time for home internet use

• Advertisement

My torrent speeds havent been improving as teh night goes on , even at around 1am they are still ver slow. Around 40KB/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My torrent speeds havent been improving as teh night goes on , even at around 1am they are still ver slow. Around 40KB/s.

I'm in the Lucan area, have NTL bb and haven't noticed terrible torrent speeds in the past week, its very annoying. What's this "shaping" you speak of? I've never heard of it.

It basically means that NTL are letting certain data paths have full speed and other the are limiting the speed on (known as throtteling) . Thats the best way I can explain it, although I may be wrong and it may be certain types of into that they are blocking.

Advertisement