Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Pro disk thinks its upgrade version?

• 12-03-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Decided on Friday to give my system a overhaul, and format the hard disk and re-install windows.

I had built the PC myself a number of years ago, and had bought myself the full version of Windows XP Pro, as I wanted to have it all kosher, and had no problems installing it.

Now when I went to re-install windows, it booted from the CD, but asked for a "valid qualifying copy of windows to use this upgrade product"...

What the hell?

Anyone even heard tell of this happening before?

Any suggestions on what to do?

(And yes I still have my license key, as it is a proper copy of XP pro)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

If you have a copy of windows 95 98 ME or 2000 you can put that in when you get that message and then put the xp cd back in to continue the installation.
    If not you can boot into windows put in the cd and run the installation and chose "new installation" i think it is and that will preform a format and install xp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds like an upgrade CD

what is the volume label on the CD ?

or the part number on it ?

put them in to google and see what it says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Didn't have an old copy of windows, and it's not an upgrade CD.

Was a wierd situation, but I borrowed another XP Pro disk and used it to boot, and format the hard drive, then I quit the installation, and rebooted with my own disk in, and it installed no problem then!

I think that the problem was I used "fixmbr" first so there wouldn't be any problems because of the bootloader that used to be on it, and after that it thought that windows was already installed... Least thats best sense I can make of it!

Advertisement