Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secret societies

• 12-03-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see what people think of the various "secret societies" out there?

A quick search will reveal a fair few of them; the Freemasons, Opus Dei, Knights of Columbanus, Knights Templar (modern verson's), Knights of Malta Priory Of Sion etc.

So do they actually have some sort of secret knowledge, rule the world or are they nothing more than clubs who like to keep themselves to themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You forgot the stone cutters and the Illuminati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I'm sure that on this forum you'll get plenty of answers :D

The British equivalent to the Knights of Columbanus are the Knights of Saint Columba (Roman Catholic brotherhood)and they are not very secretive.

One of the main goals is to highlight Christian beliefs through the workplace. That can mean anything from showing compassion when others make mistakes to demonstrating that hard work and selflessness are good ideals to hold and to helping others when they need help. Other facets are standing up to bullies in the workplace etc. Nothing sinister... now where did I put that register of the damned? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thaedydal wrote:
    I left the Illumunati out, because there is no evidence (that I could see) for them still been in existance, as for the stone cutters wel....

r3nu4l, my understanding was that the K.O.C. were secetive about their meetings ie; what goes on at them, aren't they also very discrete about been members? Admittedly they are a group I don't know alot about:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

gillo wrote:
    So do they actually have some sort of secret knowledge,

Well, you should know Gillo, with the S&C as your avatar I'm sure you're on the square too, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

gillo wrote:
    r3nu4l, my understanding was that the K.O.C. were secetive about their meetings ie; what goes on at them, aren't they also very discrete about been members? Admittedly they are a group I don't know alot about:confused:

I know nothing of the K.O.C, the Knights of St. Columba (K.S.C) are a related but distinct group. There are links and similarities in ethos but they have different governing authorities AFAIK). The K.S.C. do not openly shout about membership but this is not due to secretiveness, this is supposed to convey a sense of humbleness.

K.S.C meetings are 'secret' in the sense that the order of business of any meeting by a group to which you are not a member is secret.

K.S.C meetings might discuss using the workplace for charitable purposes.

e.g. a local charity with little funding wants a website set up. Perhaps my company can provide the setup pro-bono, say another member is a solicitor, perhaps he can offer advice on managing charitable donations or the legality of collecting via the web etc. Another member may know someone who works in a hosting company and may be able to host the site for free.

It's about serving God by serving others. The K.S.C partner with the Samaritans and other groups on projects. The K.S.C also try to create harmony and tolerance of other religions and groups.

It's not about jobs for the boys. Again, I must emphasise that I can't speak about or for the Knights of Columbanus in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I do believe in certain sects in our world that consciously conspire to control us for personal benefit, agenda or no agenda. All you have to do is look around you. Is this world a byproduct of our leader's love and happiness?

I don't think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

gillo wrote:
    So do they actually have some sort of secret knowledge, rule the world or are they nothing more than clubs who like to keep themselves to themselves.
    There's no better man than yourself to answer that one. ;)
    Enlighten us please...

gillo wrote:
    So do they actually have some sort of secret knowledge,

No and yes.

Do they have the secrets to immortality or using water as a fuel ect ect ? No.

Do they due to the extent, length and sheer numbers of their memebers have acess to information and contacts that most people would not have ? Yes.

There are no scretes there is only knowledge and they would have a creater knowledge pool.

gillo wrote:
    rule the world

Ah no.
    Could or would any of thier memebers have influence in certain circles ? Yes.

gillo wrote:
    are they nothing more than clubs who like to keep themselves to themselves.

No they are not.

Due to the knowledge pool and the quid pro quo in favours and some of the oaths sworn ie @to support a brother on the square' and the networking they are not just clubs.

What I certainly don't understand is that how someone goes in and becomes a mason wth out asking more questions then most seem to do or asking about the oaths sworn at higher ranks.
    How can you honorible swear to support someone in his endeavours when you do not know what oaths he has taken or where his aligences lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thaedydal wrote:
    How can you honorible swear to support someone in his endeavours when you do not know what oaths he has taken or where his aligences lie.

Because you are told before joining Masonry, when you meet with 3 scrutineers,that Masonry has bugger all to do with Religion, or Politics, and is for the betterment of the human spirit - in otherwords, a benevolent, charitable, fraternal organisation - whether one asks for that info or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thaedydal wrote:
    No and yes.
    What I certainly don't understand is that how someone goes in and becomes a mason wth out asking more questions then most seem to do or asking about the oaths sworn at higher ranks.

I did ask questions and had done a fair bit of research myself before joining; I was asking for peoples opinions and what they think of various "secret societies"?

As for me I don't think that any of these organisation's have any great secrets, from my experience the only secrets that the masons have is the means of identification, which even at this stage is not exactly secret anymore. As one member of the order to me awhile back said "the greatest secret is that there's no secret at all".

Thaedydal's points are interesting, having access to certain information and contacts, it's certainly interesting. I suppose any of these organisation's could because of their networking capabilities have access to information or contacts, but also in the same way any member of a golf club could use that golf club membership for networking purposes. (Maybe since I'm not an industary high flyer) I haven't seen or heard of any sort of information exchange and certainly I can't imagine networking or any sort of "information exchange" happening internationally since most masons wouldn't know brethern in other countries.

One point to make though, is that anything of an illegal or untoward nature would not be tolerated in any way by the Grand Lodge; I imagine this would also be the same in other similiar organisations.

• Advertisement

has bugger all to do with Religion, or Politics, and is for the betterment of the human spirit

Odd I hear the same thing said about eugenics and ritual magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Lol. I'm a member of one of the societies mentioned in the OP and I'd hardly call it secretive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thaedydal wrote:

I was born a stonecutter, and I'll die a stonecutter. :D

How are you #5649?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I believe these societies are not as benign and charitable as they make out, they are old boys clubs, (what ever that phrase is) they may be about charity and gving money to good cause which im sure they do, but it most likley that rich business men join it, to smooze with other rich business menin at local or national level, and politicians, and to be _seen_ to be giving to charities, and using their money to direct charities to do what _they with the money_ think should be done about various issues, which you would say well let them give the money to which charitable organisation they want but look say the city academy that have been foisted on communtiites that don't want them in england, just so some rich ultra religious guy can direct the ethos of the school and get a knighthoood perhaps, and then further up the chain the illuminati or perhaps the bildebergs which peter sutherlands and conor brady who goes to meetings and discuss and agree things in secret, you don't get the minutes of those meetings like you would the dail or the council, or shareholders review.

theyre not lizards theyre no homer clubs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement