Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Mayonnaise

• 12-03-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

I've started making my own mayonnaise. How long should this keep in the fridge? Eggs not a day old.

Ditto clarified butter.

Thanks.

noby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

Oh good question, I need to know to. I'm attempting to make mayo for the first time this evening since Hellmans don't use free range, boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Up to a week seems to be the norm, from what I can gather.

FYI, the recipe I used:
    2 egg yolks (Fresh free-range)
    pinck of salt
    1/4 tsp mustard
    1 tbsp white wine vinegar (I've also seen lemon juice used)
    8 fl oz Oil (I used 6oz sunflower oil & 2oz olive oil)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I suppose take into the account the ingredient that will go off first and then take some days off it, as you will be introducing bacteria into the mixture when you are making it.

Edited to add:
    I was just reading Rick Stein last night and he says the mayo should keep for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

noby wrote:
    1/4 tsp mustard

Good to have the recipe. I started making all my own dinners from scratch a few months ago and switched from Dolmio etc and now won't even use tabasco with my bolongese because it's bottled when I can use chillies instead - point being I'd love to make my own mayo for homemade coleslaw but it kind of defeats the purpose if I'm using Coleman's mustard instead of homemade, right? I mean, I don't know how far to take the whole homemade thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

As well, according to Jacques Pépin, it'll keep longer if made using a blender/food processor than by hand, due to the ingredients being bound together better that way. Dusf, why did you make the switch to doing everything from scratch? What improvements in quality & taste have you noticed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Dusf, why did you make the switch to doing everything from scratch? What improvements in quality & taste have you noticed?

Dolmio versus homemade bolongese? Lots of improvements, and it also feels great to eat food you made yourself and I enjoy cooking, maybe you're more specifically asking about using chillies instead of tabasco? If so I'm sure it must be healthier...

Also with chillies it's fun to carefully wash your hands after chopping them only to eat a meal containing them afterwards and to put your finger in your eye thinking it's safe - hours of family fun there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

If you keep it in a sealed container in the very back (coldest) part of the fridge it can last up to two weeks. I make mine every two weeks and seem to get this much time out of it. You will know REAL quick when it's off... it's a smell you'll never forget! ;-)

If you're concerned about jarred mustard, buy organic, or grind up whole mustard seeds in a coffee grinder!

Have fun!

Deborah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

As well, according to Jacques Pépin, it'll keep longer if made using a blender/food processor than by hand, due to the ingredients being bound together better that way. Dusf, why did you make the switch to doing everything from scratch? What improvements in quality & taste have you noticed?
    That's good to know about the food processor - I just used it out of laziness.

Anyway, added garlic to the remainder of it, so it got polished off with chips well before the week was up. I need to get cracking on more now. As soon as my chickens start laying it'll be as fresh as possible.

Advertisement