Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing the J1 in New York!

• 12-03-2007 5:22pm

Any advice where to stay or get jobs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Not in the bronx
    I arranged to stay there. I flew over about a week later than the others I went with. By the time I was going they'd moved up to hampton beach (which is in NH).
    We stayed in Queens in NY for a week at the end of the summer though - which was grand.

Would we be missing out on much if we got a job in the hamptons?Is it too far from New York or would the"talent" be better there?:)

your not confusing the hamptons with hampton beach are you?
    Don't think there's much relation between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

J1 & NewYork is a very difficult combination.

NY rents are massive and short term lettings are very hard to come by .. land lords run a mile from the hoards of yound irish arriving in may and june. It took me about 6 weeks to get accomadation !!

On the jobs front it can vary .. plenty of off the books hard labour ... furniture removal etc ... bar work (unless female and blonde) is like finding hens teeth.

Try and get something sorted before you arrive or else head out longisland direction and get the usual seasonal work etc ..

In my opinion everyone should try and living in NY at some stage in their lives .. it is an amazing city and is something different to everybody !!

Oops!Yeah I got it mixed up with the Hamptons.
    Is the Hamptons far from New York city?

• Advertisement

I think the hamptons is an extremely posh area and therefore out of the reach of the typical student.
    Hampton beach is trashy, but full of irish students during the summer, and easy to get a job in, with badly crowded but affordable accommodation.
    If you are going with the intention of getting drunk a lot and meeting loose women then it's a good choice.
    If you don't like the idea of being in a very crowded trashy area lacking half-decent public transport out of it, then stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

do you know if it would be really really difficult to get a retail job in manhattan? At the moment I'm working in an international clothing store that has branches all over NYC...I won't be able to arrange a transfer coz I'll be quitting in April to concentrate on my exams in May, but do you think it'd be likely I'd get a job in one of the branches over there seeing as I have experience, or in any retail outlet easily enough?? ...no, probably :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Can anyone recommend where to stay, apparently Sunnyside and that area is ok and close to Manhattan. Also, does anyone recommend the jobs available on the j1jobs site...

How much would you pay for rent in the Sunnyside area?

also are Hostels are good choice, jst for the first few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i was in NY on a J1 last year. I headed over with neither accomadation or jobs sorted. It took us about 2 weeks to find accomadation. we found a place in wooside in queens ( irish area ). it was a big old house that was slpit into 2 apartments. we were paid 1350 a month for a large unfurnished 3 bed which wasnt bad split between 7.

i was told we were quite lucky to get a nice place in a nice area with only a 3 month lease but if you look hard enough you'll find somewhere.

my girlfriend was living out in montauk which is the very tip of long island. i was out there a good deal too and have to say the hamptons havent a patch on the city if you ask me. everyone was packed into tiny motel rooms all summer.

it is however defo easier to get jobs in the hamptons than the city. i eventually managed to land quite a handy number as a doorman in swanky upper east side apartments which was very well paid.i would adviseanyone going over to look into this type of work as they love irish kids over there for some reason. i had to do a drug test so be warned as this is the norm.

Judas, can you tell me a little more about this doorman job? The irish center in NY told me these jobs are very well paid. Do you have to work nights/days? Where is the best place to start for getting one of these jobs??

I have enquired about renting in sunnyside,woodside area and I was told around 550 month. I am going over solo so I am trying to sort out as mush as possible for security.

Cheers

• Advertisement

i heard the jobs were well paid when i went over so one day i spent the whole afternoon walking into every apartment block in park avenue from around 70th st (i think) down

eventually i was told that one big company is in charge of lots of different apartment blocks, hundereds in fact all in manhatten.

so i tracked down their HQ wandered in, quick interview, drugs test and the next day i was working! then i went and told my mate, he did the exact same thing and got a job immediately too. theyre well used to J1 ers going in there so id defo give that a shot. As long as youre pretty clean cut and dont leave it too late. i'd say they'd take you on immediately. i was making around $16 an hour + tips. i worked 7-3 which was grand too.

Another one of the lads i went over with also worked as a doorman however he got his job through the irish immegreation center in woodside. he had to work nights for a while tho which was pretty rough.

I'll pm you the name of the company, address and who to ask for ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

avoid furniture removals
    i used to work for big johns
    nightmare

lots of irish work for the padded wagon too, meant to be less money there than big johns but maybe nicer working coniditons

tough work either way, avoid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

big john's is a great place to work.

The amount of students that arrive in the summer and give up after a few hard days work is amazing .. after a few weeks the work gets better and the pay alot better !!

thank you ,appreciate your help alot!!!!

one thing, do i need to fill in the ds2019 or do i just send off the DS156,57,58 forms with the visa photos?

errr.....couldnt be sure. cant really remember. all i remember is that they're a pain in the arse and that it's really important not to mess them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

listen to what a lot of what judas said. i stayed with the bastard. fill out every form fully. you'll thank me when you get to the immigration section in america. they're ****ing ignorant pigs but you can't do anything but grin and bear it. try and stay away from moving companies. you'll work six days a week for next to nothing. you'll probably get some good tips from time to time but you dont to spend your summer working. things to do: watch open air films in bryant park, go to six flags in new jersey. there's a bus that runs straight to it. ask in the bus station if unsure. go to coney island for a day. they have a music festival every year so keep an ear out. get used to using the subway as quick as you can. you'll use this every day so spending a day or so just simply travelling around would be advisable to get your bearings. go to century 21, a shop like tk maxx only better. placed down pretty much right beside the world trade center. go to woodside in queens. this is a great area where i stayed and is a ****in' treasure. stop into saints and sinners bar. fantastic. walk the length of fifth avenue. you'll recognise so much buildings. if you know someone out there spend a weekend in montauk. its a compoletely different pace to the city which you'll need a break from after a while. need any more suggestions write me back.:cool:

Where is a good place to live in Man hatten/Queens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Go to Chicago. None of the problems listed above.

Did I mention I love Chicago? Two J1s there, love it.

Tank you for your insightful post.
    So does anybody know a good area to stay in New York?
    Would it be risky to have 5 people in a 2bedroom apartment in the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to appropriate forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

ballooba wrote:
    Go to Chicago. None of the problems listed above.

Did I mention I love Chicago? Two J1s there, love it.

you were in Chicago?? Heading there this Sunday for the Summer. Never been to the states, any advice/tips/whatever??? Where'd you work? What's it like as a city? What's it like to go out in? Have a provisional Irish driver's license for ID saying I'm 21.. Any help would be muchly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hi Im a 21 year old from Mayo going to NY(Long Island i think!) on may 31st on the J1. Im going on my own so is there anyone out there who would like to share accomodation.
    Thanks
    Brian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

New York is amazing! I've been here just over a week now. I have a job and accomodation sorted, so I'm delighted :D
    If any one is in NY at the moment or coming over soon, especially any one who's alone, and would like to meet up I am starting to crack up a little with the lack of contact :p so let me know.
    I'd just love to hear an Irish accent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ConansGal wrote:
    New York is amazing! I've been here just over a week now. I have a job and accomodation sorted, so I'm delighted :D
    If any one is in NY at the moment or coming over soon, especially any one who's alone, and would like to meet up I am starting to crack up a little with the lack of contact :p so let me know.
    I'd just love to hear an Irish accent!
    you're over there already?! lucky. where are you working/living? How did you go about getting your job/accom sorted? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Myself and my friend are over here since Sunday.

We are presently staying in Manhattan, but we have been trying to find accommodation for ourselves, and our friends who are coming over at the start of June, in the Woodside area.

It is proving very difficult and demoralising:( I have been doing the usual; craigslist, Irish Voice, Irish Echo, contacting realtors, etc. 24/7!!!

If anybody knows of any contacts, links, or tips on how to get a 3 bed house/apartment in Woodside or its nearby area's, please let me know. Rent is not an issue, we are very flexible on rent, it is just a matter of finding the god damn thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

I put up a post on craigslist to find accomodation and ended up getting an email from a woman letting rooms. I was on my own so it helped in that respect. I'm in contact with a guy who's coming over who wants me to share with him and another guy. If it works out cheaper I'd love to share with other students, I'll just wait and see about that.
    For a job, I worked in Claire's at home so the very first CV I dropped in was to a Claires in Seaport, right by the Brooklyn Bridge, and I just got incredibly lucky and was hired in about 30-45 minutes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I'm heading over to two mates on Sat (9th) we are all 22 age group, students from Dublin. Have a place sorted right on Long Beach, sweet balcony view out onto Beach. BBQ in da place, DVD, Air Conditioning, Widescreen. Basically the works. Costing pretty penny though. $6k for 7 weeks between three & we have two spare beds. If any student / j1 wants to take a bed they're welcome to split the cost. $6k / 4 = $1500, not bad for 7 weeks when you convert to Euro. Only problem is the landlords very strict so we'll be having the craic, only in a civilised manner. Otherwise no deposit back. Anyone interested post a reply. Its on Beech Street, Long Beach

Advertisement