Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fascia Board DIY

Options
  • 12-03-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I want to replace the wooden fascia-board (technically called the barge-board) on a half-gable on the front of my roof, with PVC. A cowboy roofer told me that if I took away the fascia-board that the pointing between it and the tiles would fall away. There are small black slates between the bottom of the pointing and the top of the fascia-board.

I'm wondering (1) if whether what the cowboy said is true and (2) if the pointing falls away, whether it would be easy to repoint, and what is this type of pointing made of and can I buy it?

Replies much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if the pointing was done right it shouldn't fall away. and if it does, its not hard to redo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The slates and pointing are always put in well before the fascia goes on so you should be fine.Just take it handy removing the fascia as too much movement could loosen the slate

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Bricriu

Thanks very much for replies, lads. Go raibh maith agaibh.

What does that type of pointing consist of or do you buy it readymixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Do you need to remove the fascia board at all. Most of the PVC / aluminium stuff is nailed onto the existing boards. In fact, I think if you remove the boards because of rot, you'll have to replace them with some type of similar sized boards to carry the PVC cladding.

There is an edging strip you will get to touch the pointing at the slates or tiles and the fascia slots into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the edging strip is put in before the roof tiles/slates are laid. its a basic a preformed support for the pointing.
    the traditional way of doing this was to used thin pieces of slate to support the pointing, dont confuse with roofing slates
    There are small black slates between the bottom of the pointing and the top of the fascia-board
    this is what you have here and as long as you remove the barge board without disturbing the pointing, then there is no problem,
    and beside worst case scenerio, its not that hard to fix

• Advertisement
Advertisement