Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replumbing a washing machine

Options
  • 12-03-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

The flat I'm in has plumbing from the dark ages. Through a series of experiments I've realised that the washing machine is plumbed back to front - the cold water is going in the hot inlet and the hot water is going in the cold inlet. The result is that we're constantly heating the boiler, and the clothes are coming out far too hot (and far too small!).

Is this a DIY job - do you just pull the nozzles off and reattach them, or are there any pitfalls anyone could advise me on before I get started?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

First, make sure the water supply to the machine is OFF! Most machine connections have a little blue and red valve to turn off the water to the washing machine alone.

It's not a big job to change the water pipes. If they are connected wrong, just detach and connect the right way around. Only tighten them handtight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Or get a "Y" piece and connect both pipes to the cold supply, that way you won't keep running off your hot water.

byte

True, though I'd imagine the machine would use more electricity heating water using this method.

Of course, all new machines nowadays are cold-fill only, yet are A energy rated! Though I think this is down to them using less water and using the same water longer or something.

byte wrote:
    True, though I'd imagine the machine would use more electricity heating water using this method.

Well if you use hot water from your tank it is replaced by cold, which in turn has to be heated, so I would say swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Thanks. I'll give it a shot later.

• Advertisement

UB, as Byte says it is a simple job to change the hoses but make sure you recover and reuse the little rubber washer and that the connection threads on cleanly.If you cross threads the connection will leak and your downstairs neighbour (if you have one) will know before you do.

byte

Yeah good point.

If possible turn water back on before you push the machine into its recess, to ensure it's not leaking anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

bmaxi wrote:
    Or get a "Y" piece and connect both pipes to the cold supply, that way you won't keep running off your hot water.
    Or just turn off the supply on the Hot pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Thanks for your advice, particularly about turning off the valves! It all worked and I'm inordinately proud of my first piece of plumbing.

Advertisement