Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -vs- Wales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

psi wrote:
    Keogh in for the injured Folan - Keane must be livid...

indeed but at least folan is out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

But the former Liverpool defender admits he should have no problems in motivating his men once they arrive in camp tomorrow evening as they prepare for a game he calls "the biggest in Irish football's history".
    :eek:
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600soccer/0200news/tm_headline=staunton-feels-keane-edge&method=full&objectid=18773024&siteid=50082-name_page.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a matter of interest, are they still calling it the northern terrace?

No they are calling it Hill 16 now. Someone must have given out to them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

psi wrote:
    Keogh in for the injured Folan - Keane must be livid...
    I would be livid too, he's scored a poxy two goals in the Championship this season. On the other hand, Alan Lee has got 15 for Ipswich and David Connolly has 12 for Sunderland. I understand it's important to give up and coming lads a chance, but we have already have two up and comers upfront in the form of Stokes and Long (you could nearly argue Doyle falls into this position too).

It's absolutely mind boggling that an average Jonathan Douglas gets chosen over a fantastic Liam Miller. Come on Kingp35, surely you can see past club loyalty and recognise that Miller deserves at least a place in the squad. Afterall, he bossed the midfield (and even scored once) in the two wins he participated in against Leeds and Jonathan Douglas this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Keane's quote was interesting.
    Roy Keane wrote:
    Are you telling me there are better players on better form than David Connolly and Liam Miller? Dave had a falling out years ago with Don Givens. Don’s involved with the under-21s and they all talk to each other. What’s holding back Liam Miller is the fact that he’s from Cork, without a doubt. People think I’m crazy for saying that, but I’m not. That would definitely go against him but you don’t know the FAI as well as I do.

Some of the old fire is back.

Incidently, Miller is now on standby should we pick up any injuries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's absolutely mind boggling that an average Jonathan Douglas gets chosen over a fantastic Liam Miller. Come on Kingp35, surely you can see past club loyalty and recognise that Miller deserves at least a place in the squad. Afterall, he bossed the midfield (and even scored once) in the two wins he participated in against Leeds and Jonathan Douglas this season.

Are you joking me? How much Championship football do you watch? Miller is not as good as Douglas. The two of them played together last season and ask any Leeds fan and they will tell you that Douglas is definitely the better of the two. Club loyalty has nothing to do with it. Dont believe everything Roy Keane says. Fantastic is certainly a word I have never heard being used to describe Liam Miller before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Roy Keane
    What’s holding back Liam Miller is the fact that he’s from Cork

FFS...........Yes because Cork people are so oppressed at the hands of Dublin:rolleyes:

TBH I think we will see a much better game from Ireland and will win the game by a couple of goals. You may think thats crazy but I just have a much better feeling about this game that the players know they failed miserably against San Marino and Cyprus. They will want to make it up and also they wont want to lose the first game at Croke Park.

BTW disappointed Folan is out because ive heard rumours the IFA have their eyes on him and may try to poach him to play for the North.

Oh and thats another thing. FFS get NI off their happy pearch ahead of Ireland in the rankings by beating Wales. Im sick of the whole 'Were not Brazil, were Northern Ireland' sh*te. Its getting headwrecking now listening to them going on and on about it. So please beat Wales just for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Kingp35 wrote:
    Fantastic is certainly a word I have never heard being used to describe Liam Miller before.

Don't have a strong opinion on this as I don't watch as much Championship football as others, but fantastic isn't a word I have ever heard being used to describe the coaching at Leeds. It is more than probable that Liam Miller has improved as a footballer since leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bateman wrote:
    It is more than probable that Liam Miller has improved as a footballer since leaving.
    When I've checked the Sunderland team over the last few weeks Miller seemed to be on the bench more than in the starting XI. That hardly makes a pressing case for inclusion with the national team. Maybe Sunderland have an anti-Cork bias too ;)

• Advertisement

Is there any pictures on the net yet that show the positioning of the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kingp35 wrote:
    Is there any pictures on the net yet that show the positioning of the pitch?
    Here's a picture from the Herald AM this morning. Oddly enough the picture is taken from almost the exact spot I'll be sitting on the day. Hopefully all the action will be down the Canal End.

Interestingly enough they also mentioned in the paper that the Welsh FA returned 1500 of their 6000 ticket allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

God it looks tiny. You'd need binoculars from that seat never mind higher up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why didn't they centre it a bit more?

Very lopsided looking. right at the end at the Hill 16 end but miles away from the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

BaZmO* wrote:
    Hopefully all the action will be down the Canal End. /QUOTE]

Yeah when Ireland are playing into that end I hope you mean - Will you be supporting Wales in the 2nd half?

Stan said that the pitch will be 1 meter shorter each end than normal because of the positioning of the 20 meter line in GAA - it would be confusing for the keepers to have a blackened line a meter out from the goaline. I hope this doesn't take away from the atmosphere some what?

BTW I'm in the Hill with probably 3000 irish & 4,500 welsh. How many garda do you think will seperate us? word is 200 or so Swansea and Cardiff hooligans are coming over. Interesting to see if they start anything....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder how the atmosphere will hold up with the pitch being so far from the fans.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote:
    Why didn't they centre it a bit more?

Very lopsided looking. right at the end at the Hill 16 end but miles away from the canal.

It is centred as far as I know - It's just the angle of that particular picture......

PRman wrote:
    Yeah when Ireland are playing into that end I hope you mean
    Well duhhh!!
    PRman wrote:
    Will you be supporting Wales in the 2nd half?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im in the Canal end as well, have tickets for both the hogan upper and the canal but chose canal as the upper ones are at the very back so **** that :)

Wouldnt worry to much about the distance around the pitch and the atmosphear, one of the best games atmosphear wise I was ever at was in the old SudStadion in Koln for one of Fortunas games years back and it has a running track all around. Tis all down to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I see that Paddy Power have Wales at 4/1 to win, looks like a good bet to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I see that Paddy Power have Wales at 4/1 to win, looks like a good bet to me.
    We're a much better team. We'll be WELL up for it. If Stan doesn't fck up the starting lineup we should win it.

You can say that we should have destroyed San Marino but Ireland at home and away are different teams and always have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Stan gave an interview there today sayin that the players cant use blades, only studs on their shoes. Is this purely to look after the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The_B_Man wrote:
    Stan gave an interview there today sayin that the players cant use blades, only studs on their shoes. Is this purely to look after the pitch?

did he not give any reason? some managers reckon blades cause too much grip and you have more knee and ankle problems from them, that they don't allow the foot to turn when the player does.... could it be this?

Edit: Actually i just listened to the interview, it sounds more like they want the players to wear studs to stop slipping (they must dig further into the pitch, it's been a while since i wore studs meself, more a blades man). Apparently it's a problem with the croker surface, it's a bit slippy.

also i wondering, could the shorter length of the pitch play to our favour, and stop the likes of Giggs and Bellamy getting in behind the defenders a little? or is the difference too small to have such an effect?

Given
    Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea
    McGeady, Ireland, Carsley, Duff
    Keane, Doyle

That, in my opinion is our best team for the future from the squad available.

He's going to put Kilbane for McGeady or Ireland and he may start Hunt.

I'm really torn between Harte and O'Shea - O'Shea seems to do the bare minimum to get through a game for Ireland - Harte perhaps offers more, but is much more prone to a screw up.

If McShane *is* out, as some are speculating, and he puts O'Shea at CB, I think we're in for a long and nervy night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

psi wrote:

Given
    Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea
    Keane, Doyle

Sad thing is thats not a bad team on paper.

kdjac

do we have a free kick taker in that team tho? is Mcgeady any good at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i honestly cant think of one thing that mcgeady has done to warrant a starting place

when will we know what the story is with McShane is? saturday morning? i'll need more preparation than that if O'Shea is playing centre half!

VinnyL wrote:
    i honestly cant think of one thing that mcgeady has done to warrant a starting place
    In his what, 2 or 3 games? Not many players have warranted a place in the team recently. If we're to pick the best team from the current squad McGeady would definitely be in it imo. Especially at home against Wales, up against a guy off Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Especially at home against Wales, up against a guy off Swansea.

Trundle ?

kdjac

VinnyL wrote:

He's a naturally right footed attacking player.

What are the alternatives from the current squad? Kilbane? I supposed you could put Ireland on the right but imho he's a better player centrally.

I mean I'd take Steven Reid before him but I'm a firm believer in balancing teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Theres obviously a lot of anti-Stan feeling here on the forum, felt by the majority of punters from what I can see.

I know some people suggested boycotting the game but if any of the anti-Stan crew are going on saturday will they bring along a nice big banner asking Stan to go NOW please !

I've never seen it at an Ireland game but if there was ever a need for getting rid of a manager and letting him and the FAI know...

• Advertisement

Here's a quote from our fearless leader from today or yesterday. I laughed when i saw it and then shed a quick tear when i thought this is the man responsible for setting up our teams formation and tactics...

"We were booed off the pitch in San Marino and that's wrong. That's propaganda, that's like going over to Russia 50 years ago" - Steve Staunton.

*sigh*...what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

I would opt fro the following team:

Given
    Finnan, O'Dea, Dunne, O'Shea
    keane, Doyle

McGeady is definitely worth a start, he has played well for Celts this season in particluar the away leg against Milan. O'Dea also had a very good game that night and looks a bit of a better bet than McShane to me.
    Only for his recent decent run for Spurs I would drop Robbie keane, I think he is a bad influence on the rest of the team with his moaning, whining and gesturing to the ref. He doesn't set a good example. Of all his goals for Irealnd, how many have come against bigger teams in important matches Germany/Spain/Holland - only games I can think of.
    A younger more hungry combination of Stokes & Doyle might be a better option.

Celtic67 wrote:
    Only for his recent decent run for Spurs I would drop Robbie keane, I think he is a bad influence on the rest of the team with his moaning, whining and gesturing to the ref. He doesn't set a good example.
    But yet it doesn't affect his team mates at Spurs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"We were booed off the pitch in San Marino and that's wrong. That's propaganda, that's like going over to Russia 50 years ago"
    WTF?

Propaganda that REAL people booed.

FFS Staunton, get your head out of the sand.

People aren't happy with the performances, change it, or if you can't step aside and let someone who might be able to have a shot.

And Russia? The man is deranged.

I read a great quote that apllies to Stan's paranoia that the media are trying to get him sacked.

The media will eventually get Stan sacked, if they keep printing the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Here's a quote from our fearless leader from today or yesterday. I laughed when i saw it and then shed a quick tear when i thought this is the man responsible for setting up our teams formation and tactics...

"We were booed off the pitch in San Marino and that's wrong. That's propaganda, that's like going over to Russia 50 years ago" - Steve Staunton.

*sigh*...what?

In soviet union paranoia has you

In soviet union paranoia has you

hehe took me a minute to get that. classic.

~Rebel~ wrote:

whoah he's even worse than i thought. i thought his problems was just naive tactics and failing to get the players motivated. but now i see he's just an idiot... plain and simple...

Yeah I agree with Celtic67's team selection, though to me it would be a very close call between mcgeady and stephen hunt. Hunt has been one of best Irish players in the premiership this year. mcgeady is talented but he's far from the finished article...

Anyone want to give us Stan's top 5 quotes - he's come out with some classics hasn't he? SM a handful? players don't play well in february? did u hear his interview on sky sports news on tuesday night - what a clown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

~Rebel~ wrote:

*sigh*...what?

:D:D

Thats rather odd, maybe the booing came from SM fans disgusted their team had let such a poor side beat them at the end. Come to think of it, after the 10 second elation after the 2nd goal the "holy jaysus that was brutal" feeling of a minute earlier came back, and for all i recall I booed them myself.

Stan reminds me of the Iraqi government spokesman during the 2003 war. Just swap a military officer saying the Americans were stuck at the Kuwait border with Stan claiming they werent booed.

Hes certainly turning into a Atkinson/Strachan quotable figure.

Just going back to the pitch/stadium, anyone know how far back Row RR is in the Davin Stand (Canal End)?

kraggy wrote:
    Just going back to the pitch/stadium, anyone know how far back Row RR is in the Davin Stand (Canal End)?
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/seatingchart/196746/10881

Probably around the middle of the Davin Stand.

yeah saw that chart alright, but doesn't give rows, just sections.

thanks anyway eirebhoy.

kraggy wrote:
    yeah saw that chart alright, but doesn't give rows, just sections.

thanks anyway eirebhoy.
    It does. At the very end of the Hogan Stand it says something like:

Z
    |
    A

WW
    |
    AA
    Z
    |
    A

Basically there's 26 rows in the top tier with A being the 1st and Z being the very top. There's 49 rows in the lower tier going from A to WW.

I read somewhere that the Lower Canal End has about 50 rows. The first being row A and the 27th being AA and the 28th being BB so RR would be about 44 rows from the pitch. I'm in row UU myself.

• Advertisement

how many rows does the middle stand have at the canal end?

any idea where they're dumpin the visitors? Nally Stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The_B_Man wrote:
    any idea where they're dumpin the visitors? Nally Stand?

Temporary seating on the Hill. They gave back 1,500 tickets though, and I wouldn't imagine those tickets can be re-sold, so there's probably going to be a certain amount of empty seats there.

They did sell the tickets that were sent back. There's a few tickets for the Slovakia game on sale tomorrow but the Wales game is sold out.

hmmm, i got tickets today for the Wales and Slovakia game. gettin them tomorrow from FAI. I better not be stuck in with the Welshies and Slovaks! Ah sure I'll put the missus on the Welsh side to shield me while I'm enjoying the game! :p

dyin to get these tickets now so i know where im sittin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement