Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -vs- Wales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ibid wrote:
    Pretty much. There's not a whole lot more to be said. We all know Stan should go and that the performance was terrible. Did anyone expect anything else?

Exactly but surely us as Irish Soccer Fans can do something about it.. Surely this is the last straw, Are we so meaningless that we can't stand up to this?

It's ridiculous.

It's Embarassing.

OMG look at Stephen Ireland,

God only knows what Staunton must of said to them in the dressing room:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Surely this is the last straw
    I thought that after Cyprus. I thought that after San Marino. It wasn't then, it isn't now.

Stan will stay for at least the remainder of this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Robbie Keane's interview is the only propaganda here.

Was he playing a different game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

OMG look at Stephen Ireland,

God only knows what Staunton must of said to them in the dressing room:(

He really did look "over the moon" didnt he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whats so depressing to see is the potential team we could have fielded instead!

I think keane being out is a blessing in disguise. If stan sticks with a 5 man midfield against Slovakia, then i pray to god it'll be this

McGeady---Ireland--Carsley--Duff---Hunt
    Doyle

Hopefully Ireland will be fit for the next game anyway!

Hunt showed a lot of the other players up when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The question though is who else could the FAI (realistically) get that the fans and the team would support and who could do a job with the options we have?

Keane thinks the first half wasn't bad eh? :rolleyes:

And where the bleedin' hell is the manager for interview?

Someone writing his lines for him?

FFS

seansouth wrote:
    Robbie Keane's interview is the only propaganda here.

Was he playing a different game?

He did say 'we were lucky to get three points' but then appeared to remember that he was supposed to lie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He really did look "over the moon" didnt he

Ireland knows he's in a crap set-up. Guys like him, Doyle, Hunt etc should make themselves unavialible! :eek:

Mike.

ps that Gareth Bale's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

Happy with the result not the performance in the end. I really think hunt has to start the next game. So direct going forward, the welsh really were struggling against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I didn't manage to see hardly any of the match as I was trying to see it on the internet. I was pleased that we won and given our recent last minute disasters was half -expecting a welsh goal at the end, fortunately not, but judging by all the negative comments the game itselfwas a bag of *****.

One think that comes to mind though vis-a-vis Staunton, everybody seems to be slating him, and in terms of results and performance rightly so, but just remember the guy sweated his guts out for the Irish team as a player and he's still a smart guy imo, he clearly though wasn't ready for this level of management, 10 or more years down the line may have been the right time for him for the job, if anything the FAI and John Delaney who selected him for the job should have known better. And so if and probably when he does go, remember this guy while never a stylish player, nevertheless always put in 100% and some truly heroic perfomances as a player.

The thing about Slovakia is, they don't travel well.. So we may well get lucky again. But if they've had time to watch that match they'll be full of confidence because they are a good team.

The thing about Slovakia is, they don't travel well.. So we may well get lucky again. But if they've had time to watch that match they'll be full of confidence because they are a good team.
    That's the problem though.. We have to rely on poor performances from other teams in order to get anywhere.

Stan's on now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The thing about Slovakia is, they don't travel well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjB9ptDUwys

He hasn't a clue.. he's stumbling through it and he looks confused - watch his eyes! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We're a team going backwards fast. No idea, no inspiration, no hope. I actually feel sorry for Staunton, he was a great player and a great servant to the Irish international team, but he's destroying his own legacy right now. It's not fault he was given the job - if any of us were offered it, we'd take it and probably do just as a good a job. It's the people that gave him the job that HAVE TO GO.

Delaney out now.

"The next performance will be a lot better" - Stan.

Deja vu?

Myth wrote:
    "The next performance will be a lot better" - Stan.

Deja vu?
    More like Wishful thinking I fear! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

luckylucky wrote:
    just remember the guy sweated his guts out for the Irish team as a player

100% right, he was a great player for us and served his country well

luckylucky wrote:
    and he's still a smart guy imo,

Eh...maybe you should have just stopped at your first comment.

Comedy gold from Brady.

"It could have been a dummy"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Re: Delaney, why was I not surprised to hear at the start of the match that his dad was an FAI bigwig before him. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Delaney Jr. getting the job.

Stan is justing ruining himself with this job, every time he selects a team or opens his mouth he is embarrassing himself.

The result today was disastrous, Ireland scored a great goal but it's a waste of time. Wales may as well have been training cones and we made it look like it was a contest. Disgusting. And because we keep scraping ****ty 'results' we have to endure this painful viewing for longer.

The match today was just so boring and uninspiring, I would have fallen asleep if my ma didn't call me for dinner. Not to mention this being the big occasion of playing in croke park. uggghh sickening

Ah well , things could be worse. John Tosh could be managing us. Have to laugh at him talking on Sky News.

Staunton should model his career on that guy. It's amazing how far you can get without a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

luckylucky wrote:
    One think that comes to mind though vis-a-vis Staunton, everybody seems to be slating him, and in terms of results and performance rightly so, but just remember the guy sweated his guts out for the Irish team as a player and he's still a smart guy imo, he clearly though wasn't ready for this level of management, 10 or more years down the line may have been the right time for him for the job, if anything the FAI and John Delaney who selected him for the job should have known better. And so if and probably when he does go, remember this guy while never a stylish player, nevertheless always put in 100% and some truly heroic perfomances as a player.

So true Barry. Not his fault that he isn't up to the job, and you can see why he jumped at the opportunity when it was offered.

Oh, but it was bad though. Hunt's cameo the only real pluspoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Re: Delaney, why was I not surprised to hear at the start of the match that his dad was an FAI bigwig before him. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Delaney Jr. getting the job.

Haha never knew that myself. It explains a lot. I always wondered how a man like Delaney could rise to the top of an organisation. Well there was my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Whats so depressing to see is the potential team we could have fielded instead!

I think keane being out is a blessing in disguise. If stan sticks with a 5 man midfield against Slovakia, then i pray to god it'll be this

McGeady---Ireland--Carsley--Duff---Hunt
    Doyle

Hopefully Ireland will be fit for the next game anyway!

Hunt showed a lot of the other players up when he came on.
    That's a nice lineup + i would stick Finnan back at RB.

Was disgusted to see to two defensive mids playing - seemed utterly pointless. Much better to have Hunt playing - he adds a bit of Impetus to the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What a woeful match. Pure unimaginative crap on the pitch and no atmosphere. Whatever happened to The Best Fans In The World? :rolleyes:

Doyle should have started ahead of Keane.

Super finish for the goal.

Delaney seems to have a bigwig of his own. Nice "haircut". Also what's this rumour of Stan only getting the job cos his Dad caught Delaney carousing with a fancy woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pigman II wrote:
    Delaney seems to have a bigwig of his own. Nice "haircut". Also what's this rumour of Stan only getting the job cos his Dad caught Delaney carousing with a fancy woman?

Dunno about that, Stans parents urged him not to take the job when he was first offered it, if i recall correctly.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote:
    What a woeful match. Pure unimaginative crap on the pitch and no atmosphere. Whatever happened to The Best Fans In The World? :rolleyes:

Super finish for the goal.

You really expected the fans to be up for it after the first 10 minute of football they saw?:eek:

I was impressed the crowd didnt boo the team of the pitch at the end.. That would of taken sum balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane set up Ireland's goal.
    Douglas should not have played

He did absolutely nothing in the same.

The team should be, if you want the best performance,

Duff-Ireland-Carsley-Hunt
    Doyle-Keane

Any wackjob could see this (although maybe people might want McGeady), I don't see why Stan can't. Douglas, like what the ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there's not much to take from that match other than the three points really. I was at the game. Duff looked brighter than he typically has of late, so i think it could be a decent sign.

Douglas's passing was woeful and Kilbane went to sleep in the second half, and it looks like he's lost his fitness. It should really be the last time he starts for Ireland again, as Hunt looks much better on the left, and has as much energy as the rest of the team combined.

I actually think the loss of keane is a good thing. he was crap today, always out of position. Whenever the cross was on he was 30 yards in the wrong direction. Doyle looked much better when he came on, and him only after returning from injury. Hope he's good to start against Slovakia.

As for the atmosphere, pretty ****e alright. The game didn't do much to get people going, and the pitch itself looked really surreal. It's bad enough that the endlines were so far away, but it was off centre just making it even more odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm glad Keane isn't playing on wednesday as it'll give us a look at other striking options.

However, i think it should be brought a step further and for him to miss the following game by being dropped as then he might take his head out of his arse and start playing smarter and stop being so complacent about his place on the team. this would wake him up and give stan a look at other strikers.

And he is no captain. He should be let concentrate on his own game and the captaincy be given to someone else who is more of a leader (even though nobody stands out but there must be someone more inspiring than keane).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I actually think the loss of keane is a good thing. he was crap today, always out of position. Whenever the cross was on he was 30 yards in the wrong direction. Doyle looked much better when he came on, and him only after returning from injury. Hope he's good to start against Slovakia.

The thing is Keane is no longer an out and out striker which is a good thing as his finishing was never really top class. He is playing a lot deeper/wider these days and having IMO a greater effect on the game. This is a plus due to the lack of creative central midfield players we have to chose from. He set up the goal today and another similar ball to Duff should really of resulted in 2 assists. He now needs an striker up there with him so hopefully Doyle will do the job and they get a decent partnership going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Funny, Barry Horne on Sky Sports said that Robbie Keane was the difference between the two teams! I suppose he did make the goal and was alright in the first half, but I thought he was shíte in the second. I'm not worried about him missing for Wednesday. I'd say it'll be the same team bar Hunt in for the injured Ireland and Doyle for Keane.

I've been to many big games in Croke Park, and without a doubt that was the worst. What an appalling game. I've sold my tickets for the Slovak game - the telly will do me.

I thought Douglas did alright. I thought Kilbane was the worst player on the pitch, well worst Irish player anyway. Its hard to believe all those Welsh players actually get paid for playing soccer :eek:

What a difference Hunt made when he came on. "Mike" has to be a certain starter from now on.

A lot of people saying its inevitable we don't qualify. I don't buy that at all. If we beat the Slovaks we're right back in the mix. People forget that Czech arent any good either. And when Germany come to Croker they'll hopefully be assured or virtually assured of qualification already. We've still a very good chance, but very important we beat the slovaks.

Funny, Barry Horne on Sky Sports said that Robbie Keane was the difference between the two teams! I suppose he did make the goal and was alright in the first half, but I thought he was shíte in the second. I'm not worried about him missing for Wednesday. I'd say it'll be the same team bar Hunt in for the injured Ireland and Doyle for Keane.

I've been to many big games in Croke Park, and without a doubt that was the worst. What an appalling game. I've sold my tickets for the Slovak game - the telly will do me.

I thought Douglas did alright. I thought Kilbane was the worst player on the pitch, well worst Irish player anyway. Its hard to believe all those Welsh players actually get paid for playing soccer :eek:

What a difference Hunt made when he came on. "Mike" has to be a certain starter from now on.

A lot of people saying its inevitable we don't qualify. I don't buy that at all. If we beat the Slovaks we're right back in the mix. People forget that Czech arent any good either. And when Germany come to Croker they'll hopefully be assured or virtually assured of qualification already. We've still a very good chance, but very important we beat the slovaks.

You honestly think we're in the mix!!!??

Even if we beat the Slovaks on Wednesday..

Do you think we stand a chance of beating the Czechs and Slovaks away from home?

Or turning over daz Germans in Dublin?

Not a chance... we will even struggle to beat the Welsh in Wales.

Do you think we stand a chance of beating the Czechs and Slovaks away from home?

The Welsh probably deserved a point and maybe all 3 when they played the Czechs before. With us beating them quite comfortably yesterday (although it was a horrible game) I can't see why we can't do the same over there. If we get 6 points from the Slovaks, which will be very difficult, I can see a point against the Czechs and a point against the Germans being enough to get 2nd place. As a team we are nowhere near playing as well as we can but I still think qualification is a very realistic target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

S.M.B. wrote:
    The Welsh probably deserved a point and maybe all 3 when they played the Czechs before. With us beating them quite comfortably yesterday (although it was a horrible game) I can't see why we can't do the same over there. If we get 6 points from the Slovaks, which will be very difficult, I can see a point against the Czechs and a point against the Germans being enough to get 2nd place. As a team we are nowhere near playing as well as we can but I still think qualification is a very realistic target.

We didn't really beat them that comfortably though, they were just even more crap than we were... If Giggs and Bellamy were actually up for the game it could have been different story at the end. That was easily Wales's worst performance they have put in so far, so just coz we beat them doesn't mean anything in grand scheme of things... we'll have to be far better to get anything out of the Slovaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If we beat the Slovaks at home, which will be a hard game, then yes I think we are right in the mix.

We won't need to win every other game to qualify, as all teams will drop points - hopefully the Germans will beat everyone.

Some people who dont have a great knowledge of soccer think the Czechs are still as good as they were 2 to 4 years ago. They are not.

Our defence is capable of making mistakes as Richie proved on Saturday, but if we can keep concentration we're also capable of keeping a lot of clean sheets.

We do need incisiveness up front. Duffer showed glimpses of a return to form, Hunt looked really exciting, Doyle looks like a proper footballer, the signs are good. There's a lot of pressure on Wednesday as we do need the win, and there's plenty of doubt in my mind as to whether we get it. If we do, I know we are well in the mix to grab second place.

I agree that the Czechs are no great shakes.

If we were half decent we'd be in with a shout but it can't be overstated how poor we've performed..

I suppose the only way is up... I hope:eek:

We didn't really beat them that comfortably though, they were just even more crap than we were... If Giggs and Bellamy were actually up for the game it could have been different story at the end. That was easily Wales's worst performance they have put in so far, so just coz we beat them doesn't mean anything in grand scheme of things... we'll have to be far better to get anything out of the Slovaks

It might not have been comfortable but we certainly didn't look like conceding. I thought the back 4 played very well apart from the 2 full backs going forward and Dunne's single mistake.

And this Giggs and Belamy not being up for the game ****e? They are professional soccer players? Why the hell weren't they up for the game? A combination of our back four playing well and Wales poor build up play resulted in them being completely out of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

was Stan just interviewed on the news - blaming 'the wind'?

or did I imagine it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yesterdays game was possibly THE worst game I have seen at a professional level in years :mad: It was like an end of season game where the two sides needed a draw to avoid relegation and didnt have the quality to try and go and win it ! It was that poor I was tempted to drive to croke park at half time and offer my services for the second half!

Lets start with Wales....dare I say they were worse than us, and by jebus thats saying something under Stan !

Bellamy, brilliant on his day but wasnt arsed and strolled into a scoring position courtesy of Dunnes error and made a balls of it, cant imagine him doing the same for the pool.

Giggs, nothing really to say other than was doing his best but probably looked around and said "well the rest of them arent any use so I aint gonna burst me bollix here today".

Simon Davies, probably the hardest working welsh player and did well.

Gareth Bale (enter mr.joe soap) This lad was kak and recognising the lad is only 17 I really cant see what the fuss is about? He threw over a handful of crosses, big deal. Did fook all else and certainly would not be in the £1m bracket based on yesterdays performance, nevermind the £8m that has been touted. Doesnt say much for the Soton team iof this lad is THE standout player. Anyway, I digress.

To Ireland....where do I start :confused:

Team selection: DREADFUL.

Douglas: WTF? Plays for a team that are STRUGGLING in the c/ship and never should be near team selection. Did fook all.

Doyle: Stan comes out with another golden nugget by saying he aint match fit ! FFS ! He aint gonna get fit on the bench is he? Let the lad play till he gets tired and then make a change.

Ireland: The lad said himself he wasnt comfotable on the right. Say no more.Class goal but covered over an inept team performance.

The full backs, plays them arseways ! Finnan should have been at RB and O'Shea at LB...or dare I say even Harte could have been risked in view of the opposition.

Tactics: Was there any :o ****ing awful performance from every outfield player in terms of drive, focus and organisation. Confidence was obviously lacking BIG STYLE. Its amazing to think you can take lads out of premiership teams and embarass them to this degree by sending them into a euro qualifier without a clue of what they are supposed to be doing. Theres obviously a school of thought that you can blame the players but on yesterdays performance theres no way you could, these are in the main solid players for their respective teams in one of the best leagues in the world but yet Stan the muppet manages to make them look like clowns for 90 mins everytime they walk onto a pitch.

I have never wanted Ireland to lose a game but if it meant Stan got the boot then Id take the hit on the euros and use the rest of the games as a platform for the WC qualifiers (assuming they could actually get the FAI could get the managerial appointment right this time).

I wont be going to another Ireland game till they sack this CLOWN.
    Not sure what it was like at Croker yesterday but on TV there was large elements of the game where you could hear the players shout at each other ! Historic day indeed.

Stan, take the credit for your playing days but cop the fúck on NOW and realise you arent an International manager (maybe not even a sunday league manager) so please do us all a favour and pack it in. Its becoming truly embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I didnt read all this thread so no doubt some of this has been said.

Where to begin. The selection was bizarre, to say the least:

Given
    O'Shea - McShane - Dunne - Finnan
    S.Ireland - Douglas - Carsley - Kilbane
    Duff
    Keane

Finnan at left back(!), O'Shea at right back, go figure that one out. S.Ireland on the right, didnt have much capability, and lets be honest here, he is no Maradona even when played in the centre. Fair play to him for slotting that goal away though, it was the only spark in the game and a crucial goal.

Other weird selections: Doyle not playing. If unfit, that was okay in hindsight, but as Brady said, perhaps he should have said that. Carsley did okay, but along with Douglas there was no central midfield creativity. Douglas I felt was a bit out of his depth running around in various positions in the centre of the park.

Kilbane - his selection is an ongoing problem as far as I can see for Ireland and I've been calling it for years. With him in the team, we are alwasy going to stuggle.

Duffer did okay, but himself and Robbie were trying to get into space too much yet more often than not found themselves out very wide and together. They didnt play well together.

Overall, Wales were just a lot worse than Ireland, with very dodgy defending, and that helped for the goal. They played 3 central defenders who didnt have any pace. Ireland should have done more damage but didnt create much. People say it was a bad game, but this is usual fare from Ireland, for decades now. Was it the worse game ever? No, it wasnt.

What was right about Ireland?

Given had a good game, as usual. That Bellamy chance could have gone in but for him.

Dunne, reasonable (except for that chance).

McShane hod a good game safe and snuffed out a lot of what Bellamy and Giggs were threatening.

O'Shea was lazy for most of it. Does he realise he could be better (I could have been a player!) ?

Finnan doesnt have that great of a left foot.

Carsley was okay.

Kilbane .... never does it for me, loses the ball, helps moves to break down etc. Yes, he tries, yes, he can bet into the box every now and again, yes, he can run down dead end alleys towards the corner flag. We have seen it 10's of times now. But for me, a waste of a position.

The Future
    I have not been clamouring for Staunton to go, as every manager deserves a chance, but with this match I think that Staunton has now started a countdown, and one that only can be stopped if something changes significantly.

There is a lot of negativity around. Some of it is deserved, but some of it not. One complaint that is deserved is that we need to do more with the resources that we have and use them effectively. eg: Finnan at right back where he can get in better crosses. We had a new left back a while ago who's name esscapes me for now.

But the team are not world beaters. It will always have faults. As long as we can play the best players that we have available, in the best formation and they all try their best, there isnt much else we can ask for.

Our target should be 3rd in this group, as Czech Republic and Germany are good (their game was excellent as well, very open), and that is still possible.

Staunton needs a wins and a draw against Slovakia ...

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sizzler wrote:
    Gareth Bale (enter mr.joe soap) This lad was kak and recognising the lad is only 17 I really cant see what the fuss is about? He threw over a handful of crosses, big deal. Did fook all else and certainly would not be in the £1m bracket based on yesterdays performance, nevermind the £8m that has been touted. Doesnt say much for the Soton team iof this lad is THE standout player.

Ah so based on the one game you've seen the lad play then he's sh*t? In future I suggest you watch players over a period of time before judging them. Bale has been excellent all year and certainly justifies all the hype. At 17 he is one of the best prospects around and a mediocre game for a poor Welsh team against a poor Ireland team isn't going to change that.
    Sizzler wrote:
    Team selection: DREADFUL.
    Douglas: WTF? Plays for a team that are STRUGGLING in the c/ship and never should be near team selection. Did fook all.

Then:
    Sizzler wrote:
    or dare I say even Harte could have been risked in view of the opposition.

So you slate him for playing an inferior player like Douglas then suggest he should play another in Harte? Slight contradiction....

Sizzler wrote:
    Doyle: Stan comes out with another golden nugget by saying he aint match fit ! FFS ! He aint gonna get fit on the bench is he? Let the lad play till he gets tired and then make a change.

If Doyle had of started and been terrible due to lack of match fitness then I'm pretty sure you would have been on here saying what an awful decision it was to start him. There's no pleasing some people.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Ah so based on the one game you've seen the lad play then he's sh*t? In future I suggest you watch players over a period of time before judging them. Bale has been excellent all year and certainly justifies all the hype. At 17 he is one of the best prospects around and a mediocre game for a poor Welsh team against a poor Ireland team isn't going to change that.

Then:

So you slate him for playing an inferior player like Douglas then suggest he should play another in Harte? Slight contradiction....

If Doyle had of started and been terrible due to lack of match fitness then I'm pretty sure you would have been on here saying what an awful decision it was to start him. There's no pleasing some people.

Bale, usually when a player of such class is touted its evident when you see them in a game that they stand out from the rest, I think thats fair comment. Bale did NOT stand out from any of his Welsh colleagues and they were pi55 poor.

Harte, not a fan but has attacking qualities and given the "threat" of the Welsh we could have risked him WORST case scenario.

NO. I wouldnt have said that about Doyle, let him play a half at least and see how he got on. Stop trying to predict peoples opinions.

Stan's masterful tactics exposed by Carsley:

Even more worrying was Lee Carsley’s post-game revelation.

The Everton midfielder, 33, revealed that, despite the strange team and formation Staunton picked, nobody was actually told what to do.

He revealed: “He just named the team really and didn’t go through any roles to be honest.”

But surely you knew what to expect from Wales?

Carsley confessed: “I had never watched any of their games before. I didn’t realise how much they passed it.”

What do they do all week?

Say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

it boils me how stan wouldnt start doyle because of a question of fitness yet he still only plays ONE up front?? robbie keane has proved time and time again he cant play upfront alone, too much aimless running and shooting from distance which dosnt cut it in international football and in the first half he took a corner and TWO throw-ins in threatening areas, sorry am i being barmby for suggesting that our lone striker in a team bereft of goalscoring options should be trying to get in a good postion in or around the box, if only to distract oppostion defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Sizzler wrote:
    Stan's masterful tactics exposed by Carsley:

Even more worrying was Lee Carsley’s post-game revelation.

The Everton midfielder, 33, revealed that, despite the strange team and formation Staunton picked, nobody was actually told what to do.

He revealed: “He just named the team really and didn’t go through any roles to be honest.”

But surely you knew what to expect from Wales?

Carsley confessed: “I had never watched any of their games before. I didn’t realise how much they passed it.”

What do they do all week?

Say no more.

Thats quite worrying

• Advertisement
Advertisement