Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -vs- Wales

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

Originally Posted by Sizzler
    Stan's masterful tactics exposed by Carsley:

Even more worrying was Lee Carsley’s post-game revelation.

The Everton midfielder, 33, revealed that, despite the strange team and formation Staunton picked, nobody was actually told what to do.

He revealed: “He just named the team really and didn’t go through any roles to be honest.”

But surely you knew what to expect from Wales?

Carsley confessed: “I had never watched any of their games before. I didn’t realise how much they passed it.”

What do they do all week?

Say no more.

that is absolutely ridiculous. what the hell. i know stan doesnt have a clue but come on, ffs. ya think one of the other lads in the back or bobby robson mite suggest somthing like this. maybe they were thinkin that they would consentrate on our own game and dont worry about the opposition!

hunt should definitely start next game. along with mcgeady. get duff and maybe doyle if fit or stokes up front. i think we should play with 3 at the back casue i dont think there is room for oshea back there with finnan, dunne and mcshane. who else could we put in the centre of midfield by the way. what other options do we have other than ireland, carsley, douglas, miller, oshea!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ireland have to play Slovakia and the Czech Republic away within four days of each other this September. On current form and recent performances, we will probably take 0 points from those two games and Staunton will be out. A draw or win on Wednesday simply delays the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't read the full thread so someone may have already done this, but here are the current standings with San Marino excluded (everyone will beat them twice, so the results of their matches are irrelevant):

Germany - 10
    Slovakia - 9
    Czechs - 7
    Cyprus - 4
    Ireland - 4
    Wales - 3

Ignore the spin - we are still in the sh*t and we will not qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Carsley came out today trying to say the opposite, but I think the horse has long bolted.

I wonder if they just have a booze up for the week, and stan keeps trying to get them to sit down and behave, while they ignore him, as a bad teacher would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

astrofool wrote:
    I wonder if they just have a booze up for the week, and stan keeps trying to get them to sit down and behave, while they ignore him, as a bad teacher would.
    Well they were at boxing last night in The Point, doubt if they were drinking shandys for the night ;)

Stan is off playing golf for the day....no doubt mulling over his "tactics" for Weds on the 19th hole :rolleyes:

Sizzler wrote:
    Well they were at boxing last night in The Point, doubt if they were drinking shandys for the night ;)

Stan is off playing golf for the day....no doubt mulling over his "tactics" for Weds on the 19th hole :rolleyes:

please tell me your joking. He only has the players for a week at a time. Theres a vital, and difficult match in 2 days. He can't possibly be playing golf, can he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

loyatemu wrote:
    please tell me your joking. He only has the players for a week at a time. Theres a vital, and difficult match in 2 days. He can't possibly be playing golf, can he?

I think your problem is that you are trying to assign reason to Stan's actions.

I think the playing of Finnan at LB and O Shea at RB has conclusively demonstrated that trying to find such logic this is a futile excersise.

The sooner we all accept this the happier and less confused we will all be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

loyatemu wrote:
    here are the current standings with San Marino excluded:

Germany - 10
    Slovakia - 9
    Czechs - 7
    Cyprus - 4
    Ireland - 4
    Wales - 3

Games played is missing ... but you are right, we are near the bottom.

(Overall, the problem with euro/wc qualifciation tables is that during the campaign they cannot be used as a an accurate barometer of progress, as each group is made up of a wide range of competences, from top-seeds to minnows. You have to look at the table AND the fixtures gone and those to come. A better view is a Matrix, does anyone volunteer to do one up?).

However, some factors stand to us as we aim for 3rd place (my target).

1. we have played the two big guns (CZ, DE) away. We may scrap some points from them that others wont.

2. Our main competitor is Slovakia, so a head-to-head 4 pts against them will see us climb the table dramatically.

3. By the time we play Germany, maybe they will have already secured the top qualification berth.

Some problem factors:
    CZ need points so wont take a draw when they play us
    Wales in Wales may be another banana skin

Its still all to play for (3rd that is ......) ...

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

padser wrote:

I think the playing of Finnan at LB and O Shea at RB has conclusively demonstrated that trying to find such logic this is a futile excersise.
    The logic was obviously to put O'Shea on Giggs, presumably because O'Shea fancied his chances given he plays against Giggs in training every day.

However, I thought it was very funny when Giggs started on the right!
    (albeit he did drift around for most of the game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Good idea re the table

Germany 4-10
    Slovakia 5-9
    Czechs 4-7
    Ireland 4-4
    Cyprus 5-4
    Wales 4-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just watched the youtube link to the slovaks v wales game in cardiff! some serious good goals in there for the slovaks! the thing that always has me a bit nervy is the long shots against ireland. maybe it stems from packie bonner against the dutch in 94 or israel last time around or whatever, but even with Given in goal, i always feel some f**ker is gonna blast one from 30 yds into the net. That youtube link showed around 3 long range goals and thats what has me worried about wednesday.

i admittedly havent a clue about them so cant say if they're good or relatively good (against wales) but im hopin they dont fancy their chances against Given. if they do tend to score a lot of long range goals, then i'd be happier if they believe they wony score so opt for the move inside the box, which would be harder for them, thus hopefully stoppign them from scoring, but to be honest, i'd say after that Welsh game, they'll be smacking them in any chance they get!

with regards this match, from what i could see, the only good points were Duff in the 2nd half and Hunt, both of which lasted bout 25 mins tops. Actually I thought McShane made some good challenges. (tho even O'Shea stopped Giggs in his tracks)

IF Duff can start off like he finished the game and Hunt isnt just an impact sub (ie can maintain that for the whole 90), surely we can make a few goals on Wednesday. Doyle is almost 100% to start and he simply seems fresher and less pressured than Keane so will hopefully bag at least one on Wednesday.

loyatemu wrote:

I wish I was joking :(

Staunton = FEAR GRINN

Look it up

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/dictionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The_B_Man wrote:
    from what i could see, the only good points were Duff in the 2nd half and Hunt, both of which lasted bout 25 mins tops. Actually I thought McShane made some good challenges. (tho even O'Shea stopped Giggs in his tracks)

IF Duff can start off like he finished the game and Hunt isnt just an impact sub (ie can maintain that for the whole 90), surely we can make a few goals on Wednesday. Doyle is almost 100% to start and he simply seems fresher and less pressured than Keane so will hopefully bag at least one on Wednesday.
    Er, Hunt was only on for eleven minutes (14 if you include injury time)

Even if he can't sustain the 90, surely it's better to have your best players on at the start, then replace them if they need it.

If Doyle doesn't start on Wednesday....I just don't want to think about that.

seansouth wrote:
    If Doyle doesn't start on Wednesday....I just don't want to think about that.

But the manager said post match " Doyle was not match fit....sure anybody who knows anything about football knows you cant play if not match fit....ya hoor"

Is there such a thing as not being match fit....as a manager :D

Good idea re the table

Germany 4-10
    Slovakia 5-9
    Czechs 4-7
    Ireland 4-4
    Cyprus 5-4
    Wales 4-3

Cyprus would be above us as they beat us in the one match we've played against them so far.

Also we haven't played the Czechs away, that match was at Lansdowne, a draw for them, 2 points dropped for us. I also can't see us winning any of our remaining away games.

seansouth wrote:
    Even if he can't sustain the 90, surely it's better to have your best players on at the start, then replace them if they need it.

ye but who knows if he'll be good from the start. ya get these players that play stormers only if they're brought on for the last half hour or so, but dont do anything if they start! think of all the players coming thru that have made sub appearances and looked great, but then when they started, they played crap and faded away into obvlivion!

Any player would be a welcome change from the insipid shíte we have been subjected to this past while.

suppose. i jsut dont get how the last 3 managers we've had have always picked at least 2 bogey players in every squad tho! there must be something we dont know if they can pick the likes of Douglas over some of the other players.

The_B_Man wrote:
    suppose. i jsut dont get how the last 3 managers we've had have always picked at least 2 bogey players in every squad tho! there must be something we dont know if they can pick the likes of Douglas over some of the other players.

2 words
    Kevin Kilbane

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

loyatemu wrote:
    we haven't played the Czechs away, that match was at Lansdowne, a draw for them, 2 points dropped for us.

Mea culpa - I need that matrix view as much as anyone!

v DE CZ SK IE CY WS SM
    DE -
    CZ
    SK
    IE
    CY
    WS
    SM

Whether it could be considered 2 pts dropped though is open to discussion. I think for us to get 2 pts in total against CZ would be acceptable, so that would two draws which we are still on target for. The same against DE.

4 pts against SK would be ideal, and of course 6 pts each v Wales, CY and SM.

> 2 words
    Kevin Kilbane
    > Am I missing something?

No, you are not!

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Hardly the best match ever, but Ive seen alot worse. Cant understand the flak Duff is getting, its the most in- form I can remember him in at least a year. Personally think Robbie being out for Slovakia could be a blessing in disguise, he was panting and looking tired after 15 minutes.

As for the selections I was reading more in depth re Roy Keanes comments, and he appeared to be suggesting Given was over used and that no other keepers got games. We are over reliant on him certainly, but over used? Id hope what Keane meant was we wont have Given forever and its time we tried to find the replacement. Because if hes suggesting playing the likes of Fat Pat (ok enough for club, Ireland is death for him) in qualifiers hes lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Was a disgrace of a performance - I wonder what the GAA officals thought about the spectacle?

Really the selection of Douglas, a player not setting the world alight in a relegation bound Championship team and Kilbane who is a rotation player a team on the cusp of the premiership relegation zone (with one of the poorest forms in the leage) beggars belief.

Once again, Ireland seemed to not have a clue what was going on in the final third of the pitch. Keane spent most of the time dropping deep so he could initiate link up play with our main striker. Unfortunately, seeing as Keane was also our main striker it meant that we were toothless up front. Duff did well with what he had, but my god, we have one of the best premiership strikers this season on our bench - why didn't he start?

Carsely let the cat out of the bag after the game and I don't care what PR damage control they've come out with since, the demeanour and comments by Ireland emphasise that Carsley meant exactly what he implied.

Slovakia could yet give us a hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

psi wrote:
    Was a disgrace of a performance - I wonder what the GAA officals thought about the spectacle?

Probably wondering what it would take to get Delaney installed as the head of the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

psi wrote:
    Slovakia could yet give us a hiding.
    Wales and the Czechs haven't really threatened us at home. We might find it hard to break Slovakia down without Reid but I doubt we're in for a hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

On the plus side, Stan does listen to the press, so hopefully all the criticism of the team will result in a proper formation.

• Advertisement

He certainly doesn't talk to them.

psi wrote:
    Once again, Ireland seemed to not have a clue what was going on in the final third of the pitch. Keane spent most of the time dropping deep so he could initiate link up play with our main striker. Unfortunately, seeing as Keane was also our main striker it meant that we were toothless up front.

ROFL

I think you may have just uncovered a minor flaw in Stan's 'tactics'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

psi wrote:
    Once again, Ireland seemed to not have a clue what was going on in the final third of the pitch. Keane spent most of the time dropping deep so he could initiate link up play with our main striker other main attacking options.

Keane's dropping deep did lead to our goal, and our second best chance when Duff was one-on-one with the keeper. Good call! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sizzler wrote:
    Gareth Bale (enter mr.joe soap) This lad was kak and recognising the lad is only 17 I really cant see what the fuss is about? He threw over a handful of crosses, big deal. Did fook all else and certainly would not be in the £1m bracket based on yesterdays performance, nevermind the £8m that has been touted. Doesnt say much for the Soton team iof this lad is THE standout player. Anyway, I digress.

Good to see you can judge a player on one game, I didn't see the Ireland game but I have seen quite a large number of Southampton games this season, and its no surprise he'll be voted our player of the season. He was also voted the best young player in the Championship this season, but hey, he didn't play well against Ireland, so he must be crap.

Got a great goal last night mind you...

Advertisement