Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cigarette Smuggling

• 12-03-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, dunno if this is the right forum but does anyone know what the punishments are for cigarette smuggling

It seems to be so widespread but yet I have never heard of anyone being convicted for it.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Customs law is very old, and I think the penalty fines are up to 3 times the duty-paid value of the goods (i.e. what they would be worth at full duty in Ireland). In addition to this, I think a separate summons can be issued which can carry imprisonment too.

The problem with this fine is that for a large amount of cigarettes the duty could be quite high, but there is a limit to what the district court can actually fine you (something like the euro equivalent of £2500 per offence).

This appears on revenue's website for 1998 source:

"A lorry driver pleaded guilty to a charge of carrying 1.28 million cigarettes on which Excise duty chargeable at importation had not been paid. A statutory fine of £555,360, three times the duty-paid value of the cigarettes, was imposed at Wexford Circuit Court together wieh a 2-year prison sentence which was suspended."

This is probably the height of it.

I should also mention that there are very generous limits for what you can import from within the EU for personal use (more than you could comfortably carry anyways), and of course there are duty free allowances from most other countries.

Advertisement