Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant suitable for fussy parents in Dub city centre

• 12-03-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

My parents are coming up to visit me this weekend and I have the task of finding a suitable restaurant for them to eat at on the Saturday night (if this is even possible at such late notice in Dublin)

My parents are simple country folk (best description I could come up with) and aren't into fancy things especially in their food.
    Basically my father is a steak man which suits most places.
    My mother likes nothing even remotely foreign sounding and likes nothing more than plain food followed by even plainer food. A meat and three veg kind of person.

Does anyone know of a place that would suit my parents taste in Dublin city centre?

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This thread a few days ago discussed this very question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Maybe look at Darwins too if your dad's a steak man. I've heard some mixed reviews lately but steaks are apparently good. Review available below but can't find a website for it
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/03/20/story3153.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Gallaghers Boxty House in Temple Bar?

http://www.boxtyhouse.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would recommend Brasserie Sixty 6. They do a mean roast chicken with mash
    that any fussy Daddy would be pleased with. They have other things like bangers & mash, meatloaf, fish, rib-eye... all very Parent-friendly.
    I've brought so many people here with favourable results :)

http://www.brasseriesixty6.com/brasserie.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks everyone for yeer input I really appreciate it. Ye've definitely made my task easier :)

Brasserie sixty 6 looks to be a winner as it has something that both my parents could eat. Here's hoping i'll be able to make a booking.

Thanks again,
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,999 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

b3t4 wrote:
    likes nothing more than plain food followed by even plainer food.
    LOL :D Sounds like my oul lad!

Sure tell me how you get on - service can be a little hit and miss, but the food is so good, I couldn't care less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Roly's in Ballsbridge is just outside the city center and the food is nice and not too fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Why not look at the Talbot 101? Its a bit cheaper than the 66 and having gone there tons over the years its really reliable with great hearty food. It also has a great busy atmosphere about the place (so if they wanted somewhere very quiet you should keep this in mind) Its very popular for pre theatre dinners though, so booking would be in order. Your folks might also prefer to dine on the northside! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 delboy2

The Mermaid Cafe on Dame Street is a good bet while Roly's or newly refurbished Dobbins off Mount St serves up some fine fare. I'd give Sixty6 a miss if I were you.....overpriced grub with less than satisfactory service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I've booked a table in Sixty6 as the food is simple and so are the descriptons. :) As long as the service is adequate they won't mind that all that much.

I choose it over the rest because:
    Darwin's doesn't appear to have much on offer for my mother's taste.
    Gallaghers Boxty House is in temple bar and will most likely be crazy on Paddy's day.
    Roly's is a bit out of the way for us so didn't choose that.
    Talbot101's menu doesn't suit.
    The Mermaid Cafe menu doesn's suit.
    Dobbins I would have concidered had I not already booked a table at Sixty6

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be giving Dobbins another look in a while.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

delboy2 wrote:
    The Mermaid Cafe on Dame Street is a good bet while Roly's or newly refurbished Dobbins off Mount St serves up some fine fare. I'd give Sixty6 a miss if I were you.....overpriced grub with less than satisfactory service
    I have to agree about the service in this place.
    Woeful.

I think sixty 6 is very reasonably priced. Esp for the quality of the ingredients that is on your plate. I had an interesting conversation with the maitre d' regarding where they sourced their meat, and I was impressed that he knew so much about it. He even invited me to talk to the chef about it, and gave me his card.

The service isn't dreadful - I just can't really put my finger on it.
    It is satisfactory, and you are never left waiting for food. The bill can be a while though. I am just so delighted with the food that it kinda washes over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I found the food in Sixty6 to be really good, plus there's a good few blander options so your parents should enjoy it! As a couple of people have already mentioned though, the service can be pretty dodgy; we were waiting over half an hour for our starters to arrive. However it was around Christmas so it was pretty hectic anyway - hopefully it'll be sorted out by now!

Hope you have a lovely time on Saturday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

sorry, i suppose i should clarify and not just out-and-out say it was woeful.
    i, like stargal, was waiting half an hour between courses but it wasnt at christmas and they didnt have an excuse as it wasnt excessively busy.

re customer service, i have food allergies, i outlined them to the staff on ordering etc etc lets just say i went home and was violently ill. i either wasnt listened to, or they dont know whats in their food. either way, its unacceptable.
    but - i suppose that wont matter to anyone who doesnt have food allergies/intolerances. i just think it says a lot regarding their attitude.

The dubliner review book sums it up quite well:

"...dining room has a continental atmosphere that is sometimes let down by the blase European staff - a 'waiters required' sign hangs in the window."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

The winding stair. Food is REALLY, menu is generally what is in season. But you can get plain irish meals like bacon and cabbage. Really tasty. Hard to get a table sometimes.

Advertisement