Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which xbox 360

• 12-03-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

hey everyone ive being thinking of buying an xbox 360 whats the best one to go for?
    i wont be needing online dont play online games and ive a pc for the internet obviously.
    whats the difference between the consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

One has a 20 GB hardrive and a wireless which the other doesnt. I also think there is a years live membership in the expensive pack??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

One has a 20 GB hardrive and a wireless which the other doesnt. I also think there is a years live membership in the expensive pack??

No wireless on either and 1 month free live trial in both.
    Expensive one(premium) has 20 GB hard drive, dvd remote(not sure if this was just in the first few), ethernet cable, headset and HD cable, which the cheap one (core) doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

is the hard drive essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

mcgovern wrote:
    Expensive one(premium) has 20 GB hard drive, dvd remote(not sure if this was just in the first few), ethernet cable, headset and HD cable, which the cheap one (core) doesn't.

Didn't the premium have a wireless controller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

there are heavy rumours of another version being released at the same time as the ps3

maybe hang onto then as the prices might vary a lot after that

• Advertisement

in no rush to buy one so thats not a problem si i guess the premium one is the one to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Stokolan wrote:
    Didn't the premium have a wireless controller?
    Yeah it does but not the wireless network adaptor.

No remote either unless they've just recently added it.

Premium
    1 x Console
    1 x 20GB Hdd
    1 x Wireless Controller (+ 2 AA batteries)
    1 x Wired Headset
    1 x Ethernet Cable
    1 x Component Cable
    1 x Scart adaptor yoke for plugging in the composite and audio connections
    1 x XBox Live 1 Month Gold Trial

Edit - I never realised how long the supplied ethernet cable was. It's actually long enough to reach my router, excellent xbox live here I come. I feel a bit stupid now for never taking it out and checking the length.

can i get the console without the internet stuff as it wont be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The only internet related thing is the ethernet cable and the trial membership. I'd say they come with both the core and premium packs. Having a CAT5/6 (whichever it is) this length is handy to have whether you'll use it with the xbox or not.

I think the main differences between the core and premium are that the core has no HDD (which means you'll need to buy a memory card to save your games) and that the supplied control pad is wired not wireless. I don't know the cost or size of the memory cards but the HDD costs €100 on it's own so it may work out better value to buy the premium.

cheers for that any problems with the wireless controllers are they responsive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

cheers for that any problems with the wireless controllers are they responsive?

Yeah they're very very good.

If I was you i'd be going for the premium bundle.
    I would have my 360 hooked up to live even if you aren't playing online.
    Main reasons are:
    1. Console Updates
    2. Game Updates (for game bugs etc.)
    3. Xbox Live Arcade (even with silver membership I think you can get the games...I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
    4. Demo's of new games (Even silver members get to access some of these. Its brilliant when yuor'e not sure whether to buy a certain game or not)
    5. Wireless controller in the box. (Once you go wireless you'll never go back)

And another thing if you play on your PC too, wou can buy the wireless device thingy that lets you use your 360 peripherals with your PC :)

Hope this helps!

i guess theres a montly charge for the membership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

i guess theres a montly charge for the membership?

For Gold yes, but not for silver.
    If you're not going to play online then you don't need gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

3 month subscription is E20
    12 month subscription is 60

so wheres the best deal to pick one up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smushbush

well if you have an xbox and 4 games, you caan trade that in and get a premium for 200!! (i think)

the only console i would trade is an old ps1 with 17 games and about 7 ps2 games what would u reckon about that

mcgovern wrote:

Sorry I ment wireless controller not networking.

Also stephen they wont take a ps1, and I dont think they will take an original xbox either.

And yes i would suggest getting the premium version, its better value in the long run. Some games require the HDD, I know FFXI does,even though thats an online game you never know, there may be games in the future that need the HDD that you will want to play.

Also those rumours about the new 360 coming out to rival the PS3 launch. The PS3 is launching on the 23rd of march ( i think ) so there would have been an announcement already to do with the new system. If something of that ilk were to happen id say the absolute earliest we'd see it is sep/oct/nov.

so where would the best place to buy one be?

I dont know man, there are a few threads here asking the same question as far as i know , or at least there were with in the last month, look back over a few pages. During christmas there Xtra vision(or gamestop I cant remember) were doing a bundle that had the premium package + 4 games for a decent price. see if they are still doing that.

• Advertisement

cheers for the info will let yas know if i buy and what price.
    will look at the weekend.

Yeah no problem man , only too happy to help however I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 streetryder

i would get premium has everything you need, most places are doing deals on them too for cheap so

well picked up a premium xbox toady with gears of war and saints row and a charge pack and a €15 voucher in gamestop newbridge for €350.
    have it all hooked up xbox live well happy with it.

Advertisement