Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using Vodafone HSDPA on a PDA or Phone?

• 12-03-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am using a Palm Treo 750v with the HSDPA hack from treocentral, which seems to work flawlessly, but not for me. I have even changed the apn from office.vodafone.ie to hs.vodafone.ie, to no avail. Vodafone say that the line is set up to work with hsdpa.

I wonder if anyone else has had any luck with a hsdpa phone or pda on Vodafone, and what settings they used.

Ro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

what exactly is happening on your treo when you try to connect using the hs APN?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

what exactly is happening on your treo when you try to connect using the hs APN?
    It connects just fine to the hs.vodafone.ie apn, showing the proper U icon, but I only ever get dl speeds in the 100-300kbps range, despite trying it out in different locations with good signal strength.

I called vodafone to see if anything needed to be enabled on my line, but they said that everything was fine.

maybe you are just in a 3G coverage area rather than 3G Broadband/HSDPA coverage

maybe you are just in a 3G coverage area rather than 3G Broadband/HSDPA coverage
    I tried in in middle of Ranelagh village in Dublin 6 which I'm pretty sure is in HSDPA coverage.

Is a standard 3G sim sufficient? Could that be the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Some areas of Dublin actually don't have 3G Broadband coverage yet, just 3G, which will limit your average speed to less than half a megabit.

I recommend checking out the online coverage map on vodafone.ie, which is very useful and lets you zoom in to see exactly where you are.

• Advertisement

here ya go:

http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/domestic/network/index.jsp

just make sure that you tick the box for 3G Broadband

here ya go:

http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/domestic/network/index.jsp

just make sure that you tick the box for 3G Broadband
    I am in coverage. I just don't know why it won't work. Maybe I'll talk to vaodafone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

voda suck, i had a usb modem, hsdpa speeds my a**, more like sub dial up speeds.

got a 3 data card, using the sim with that data card on a v3xx i got 'blazing fast' hsdpa speeds. until i got rid of the v3xx, just waiting for a hsdpa router now and get my own hot spot here.

vodafone can shove their rubbish where the sun doesnt shine as far im concerned.

legs11, as far as I remember you live somewhere where Vodafone only have GPRS coverage? Which would explain the speeds you were having. :D

ya, but so. does that mean that im less entitled to receive hsdpa coverage than bob who lives 5 miles away, hardly.
    voda got plenty $$$$ if they wanted to upgrade their coverage, anyway i heard that their hsdpa coverage is saturated with far too many people logging onto cells which is providing a patchy service.

anyway, i took my laptop to killarney one weekend, and hooked up the voda modem,

hello hello, was still getting s*** speeds. so my point still stands. VODA CAN SUCK MY...
    ok, get my point anyways:D

• Advertisement

Vodafone have better 3G coverage than 3 in my area. For example, Ballyhaunis has had Vodafone 3G coverage for well over 2 years now, whereas 3 will only be getting around to covering this area later this year.

And by the way, I'm getting average speeds exceeding 1 Mbps on their network (and average upload speeds of over 300kbps), with latency of just over 110 milliseconds most of the time.

ah well, im happy with 3 anyway, also getting 300k speeds ish for downloading, sometimes faster!
    but still lagging behind the 3Mbit/sec speeds i can get in ucc............

how do institutions like ucc get such fast speeds? blimey......

3Mbit/sec isn't that fast really. Whenever I'm in Germany I use a 20Mbit/sec connection there, and even my grandmother has a 4Mbit/sec connection (she was stingy and didn't want to pay more than €29 a month for 2 phone lines, 6 phone numbers, broadband and free calling). :D

I finally got it working!

I needed to run a second program to enable the HSDPA. I now get 750-1000 kbps on dslreports.com speedtest!

The details are here

Advertisement