Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving in problems

Options
  • 12-03-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

tricky one that could do with bit of advise

have an apartment and rent out 2 of the 3 rooms me been in the other one!
    im in the box room and to be honest no one with a half a brain would pay rent for my room but i just take it to help get more money for the two double rooms to help pay the mortgage.

thing is the two other rooms are been rented by people. one there for over year other about 6 months..

thing is i want the girlfriend to move in , well we both want it, but kinda stuck as is how to do it..

can i really ask the girl there 6 months to pack up and leave or what..

i'm really stuck and to be honest we have talked bout it load and really want o move intogether.. but what do i do

have thought about renting somewhere just for ourselves but that doesnt make sense.. i didnt buy the house not o live in it and also could not afford to rent and pay mortgage.. please can someone give me advise or something!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I understand that you need advice on this, but it's probably better suited to the Accomodation/Property forum.

dudara

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Strictly speaking, as you are an owner occuppier, and are sub-letting two of your rooms, would I be correct in guessing you are making use of the rent-a-room scheme?
    If so, your two rooms are occuppied by lodgers, rather than tenants, and they do not have the same rights as tenants would have. It would only be fair to give your lodger notice though (even if this is not a legal requirement).

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you and your gf should get somewhere else to live. Your house is paying for itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

biko wrote:
    I think you and your gf should get somewhere else to live. Your house is paying for itself.

Two words to this- "Tax Implications......."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why not give one of your tenants two months notice?

Also, if form some reason they can't find a place by then, they could stay in the box room for a while at a reduced rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I like your signature smccarrick... took a minute to work out how I knew it without singing it! Off topic I know!

I agree with giving the lodger plenty of notice and explain the difficult, but exciting and important situation that you are personally in, any fair minded person would understand and you can even give them the option of moving into the box room at a cheaper rate, which might even appeal to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

smccarrick wrote:
    Two words to this- "Tax Implications......."

Aye, a very bad move imo. Could be liable to the stamp duty clawback if it was new place bought in the last 5 years, also can't take advantage of the rent a room scheme if his rental income is under the €7,620 threshold.

I presume you lose your Interest Relief as well if you change it to an investment property? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

smccarrick wrote:
    Strictly speaking, as you are an owner occuppier, and are sub-letting two of your rooms, would I be correct in guessing you are making use of the rent-a-room scheme?

It sounds like the OP is availing of the rent-a-room scheme to me as well and therefore would not be restricted by the standard Landlord-Tenant regulations.

As an aside, I wonder if the OP knows that they must declare the income they recieve by renting those rooms? They won't have to pay tax if they receive less than 7,620 euro in a single year, but it still needs to be declared. I can imagine Revenue cashing in on this in the years to come (with penalties and interest) if it's not in order.

Afuera wrote:
    As an aside, I wonder if the OP knows that they must declare the income they recieve by renting those rooms? They won't have to pay tax if they receive less than 7,620 euro in a single year, but it still needs to be declared. I can imagine Revenue cashing in on this in the years to come (with penalties and interest) if it's not in order.

I know several people who have gone back and claimed rent relief who paid rent at home and all they did was update their parents' income tax return. Simple as. The revenue however are trying to clamp down on it stating that your parents may get audited if you do this but if everything is in order there won't be a problem.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I know several people who have gone back and claimed rent relief who paid rent at home and all they did was update their parents' income tax return. Simple as. The revenue however are trying to clamp down on it stating that your parents may get audited if you do this but if everything is in order there won't be a problem.
    It does sound a bit dodge doesn't it? It would be a lot of work for revenue to investigate these cases fully I'd imagine. There's always the possibility that they could request bank receipts to prove the payment of rent though. I thought that there were some measures introduced in the last budget to prevent this, but I'm not too sure of the exact details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

movingin07 wrote:
    Hi

tricky one that could do with bit of advise

have an apartment and rent out 2 of the 3 rooms me been in the other one!
    im in the box room and to be honest no one with a half a brain would pay rent for my room but i just take it to help get more money for the two double rooms to help pay the mortgage.

thing is the two other rooms are been rented by people. one there for over year other about 6 months..

thing is i want the girlfriend to move in , well we both want it, but kinda stuck as is how to do it..

can i really ask the girl there 6 months to pack up and leave or what..

i'm really stuck and to be honest we have talked bout it load and really want o move intogether.. but what do i do

have thought about renting somewhere just for ourselves but that doesnt make sense.. i didnt buy the house not o live in it and also could not afford to rent and pay mortgage.. please can someone give me advise or something!

Just serve them both notice , if you and the GF can afford to pay the Mortgage then move your relationship along with this step.

Let me guess you brought the place so you could live there with a girl someday. Well its Someday give reasonable notice and be helpfull in there arrangements.

Best of luck

Afuera wrote:
    It does sound a bit dodge doesn't it? It would be a lot of work for revenue to investigate these cases fully I'd imagine. There's always the possibility that they could request bank receipts to prove the payment of rent though. I thought that there were some measures introduced in the last budget to prevent this, but I'm not too sure of the exact details.

There's no law that states it has to be paid into your bank account so unfortunately there's going to be a lot of people chancing their arm and getting away with it......by just stating it was paid in cash and using some random receipt book.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    There's no law that states it has to be paid into your bank account so unfortunately there's going to be a lot of people chancing their arm and getting away with it......by just stating it was paid in cash and using some random receipt book.
    I think that they could request the tenant to prove the source of the money they were supposedly paying rent with though. I'd say it would be easy to identify the pattern of paying monthly rent by looking through past bank statements (whether it was being payed directly as a standing order or as cash). As I said before, it would be quite costly for revenue to investigate all of these suspect cases fully though. I'd say people will only get pulled up on it as part of a general audit and won't necessarily have an audit initiated because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, if you want to post anonymously, do so on PI and I can move it here.

Why not just straight out explain the situation to the lodgers? Who knows, one of them might be thinking of moving out anyway or can't afford the rent and might want the smaller room.

Advertisement