Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry

Options
  • 12-03-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to start a thread on the lead up to the ring Of kerry this year as always im looking forward to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Here is the info got today on this years cycle

RING OF KERRY INFORMATION SHEET

24th Ring of Kerry Cycle takes place on Saturday 7th July leaving International Hotel Killarney at 8am. Cyclists must register before cycle begins. Registration takes place outside Hotel on morning of cycle.

It is expected that 1000 cyclists will take part.

It’s a cycle and not a race. Cyclists of all abilities take part.

No minimum fundraising target required & no registration fee. However it is expected that all cyclists will raise money for one of the 4 nominated charities. Cyclists should not bring any sponsorship money with them on the day but rather send to one of this years nominated charities.

Route is 112 miles and takes in Killarney, Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Cahersiveen, Waterville, Sneem, Kenmare through Molls Gap and back to Killarney.

Most people finish between 4 – 8pm.

Cyclists have two official stops, one in Cahersiveen and the other in Kenmare. The cyclists receive complimentary tea and sandwiches at these breaks. There are lots of other unofficial stops along the route.

Cyclists must bring an official sponsorship card with them on the cycle. This will enable them to register and will also gain them access to Cahersiveen and Kenmare breaks.

The event has raised in excess of 1.75 million to date. Last year 230000 was raised.

Very well organised. Cycle repair people at hand, St Johns Ambulance and a variety of other groups are used to help cyclists.

Cyclists must wear a helmet on the day, bicycles must be in good working order and a level of fitness appropriate with the event is required.

Should you have any queries please contact sean at 087 760 9768 or e-mail sscally@enableireland.ie.

Just thought this might be a helpfull thread for anyone thinking of doing this
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068509

The Route

384280_RingofKerryRoute.bmp.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

What is the terrain like on this route? I guess there must be quite a lot of hills...but how "bad" is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

only 2 real hills to speak of really. Coomnacista after Waterville is definitly the hardest, than you have to tackle Molls Gap at the end before decending most of the way home to Killarney. I find the trickiest bit after coomnacista to be between glenbeigh and Caherciveen. its a long streatch along ther coast with the wind always in your face. It rises into a hill to just beyond Kells. Once ypu pass over Coomnacista u generally should have the wind at your back and is quiet plesent into Kenmare

• Advertisement

All and all its a good day on the bike and its up to you how quick you want to do it just go at your own pace a mix all diffrent types between the flat the hills. Well worth it you feel so god when you finish it

It looks like no one is doing it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am, ( well gonna try it anyway ).
    In a drunken haze at xmas my friends and I decided we'd do this.
    I have done way too little training so far but once the charity gets some money and we at least give it a go - no one really loses.

crashoveroid - hope to see you there !

RobAMerc wrote:
    I am, ( well gonna try it anyway ).
    In a drunken haze at xmas my friends and I decided we'd do this.
    I have done way too little training so far but once the charity gets some money and we at least give it a go - no one really loses.

crashoveroid - hope to see you there !

Thats great and its a good event and lets not forget the charity does well out of it which is great

The Route that you can see

• Advertisement

Talk about a low turnout on the boards for this event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

im thinking about doing it, does anyone do it on a fixed wheel bike? where can i get a sponsoship card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The official page (with less info than quoted earlier) is on EnableIreland.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

The offical site is http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net however the site has not been updated with the 2007 details yet.

Four charties are involved:
    Enable Ireland (as above)
    http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/

Don't know the other 2, but will post if I find out.

From what I can tell, if you register with one of the charties directly, they will get all monies collected, if you get a "generic" sponsorship card, the money you collect will be divided equally between the charties (which I think is the best way)

rash wrote:
    The offical site is http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net however the site has not been updated with the 2007 details yet.

Four charties are involved:
    Enable Ireland (as above)
    http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/

Don't know the other 2, but will post if I find out.

From what I can tell, if you register with one of the charties directly, they will get all monies collected, if you get a "generic" sponsorship card, the money you collect will be divided equally between the charties (which I think is the best way)

Email Sean Scally at sscally@enableireland.ie. he has the sponsorship cards

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

Do many people do it on a mountain bike beacuse thats what I have.

S

Yeah alot of people do the only one thing i would say is get a set of road tyres for your bike and dont go on a standard set of tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

webiste has been updated with charities , http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net/

Cheers for the update on the site

Advertisement