Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnostic software

Options
  • 12-03-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have layed my hands on a PA Soft scanner and software for BMWs. I cant get it working though, it connects to the serial port on the laptop and via the scanner inot the OBDII port under the wheel. After messing with port settings and lowering it to 600 it worked briefly and read some data from the car and then failed to respond. The error im getting says the "cant communicate with unit" Has anyone got experience of these things and can offer some tips on getting it working properly. It isnt the laptop as ive tried it on another with the same results. Ideas?

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

PA soft is a very powerful bit of software in the right hands but not much use unless you are into eeprom coding. It will read codes from all modules that it covers (depends on which version) but it does not give descriptions of the error codes.
    Also be very careful if you are playing with this as it can write to eeproms on a lot of modules so it is possible for you to do damage very easily.
    There are a few different cracked interfaces about and i would not be surprised if some of them do not work. With a proper interface the software is very easy to use and is easy to install. I have run it on various lappy.s and never had port issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Do you know of any tests that i could do on the scanner to prove it is or isnt working. It could be the cable or even the diag port in the car. It works intermittently.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have 2 laptops. My software/cable works fine with one of them & works very erratically on the other one. It was down to other software that was on the laptop, used the the Com port. It caused conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I have a copy of PA soft and tested it breifly with an interface i made, and it seems to work... it does look like it's mostly geared at people hacking around with EEPROMs...

Mr.Diagnostic is there any where one could look up the DTC numbers that PA soft throws out for each of the modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi Dilbert,

Yes and no, some are available, for the engine anyway.

BMW use dec format for codes, and I have a lst of hex to dec to eobd. This covers most engine codes from 2000 on. I am sure it would be possible to find further lists but i dont need them so have never looked.
    In most cases, as far as I know, the dealer info software does not contain descriptions, or at least full lists.

If you are interested in playing with some software PM me and let me know what car you have.

@ xabi. What version of PA have you. I think I have a bit of software somewhere that is supposed to test the interface. If I can find it you are welcome to it BUT..........unless you are into eeproms and have a very good idea what you are doing I would suggest you find something else to use. At best you will read a list of codes that will mean nothing to you and at worst you will end up with a non runner and a big bill.
    I dont mean to preach and I of course have no idea of your level of competance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Mr Diagnostic,

You have a PM

Advertisement