Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Pubs in Dublin

• 12-03-2007 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have just moved to the City Centre from Scotland and was wanting some suggestions of pubs which are friendly enough that I could go into on my own.

I have tried a couple of pubs in Temple Bar but felt a little awkward on my own. I'm mostly just looking for somewhere I can have a quiet pint and read a book. Is this going to be impossible?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'd say most pubs in dublin would be considered friendly enough, what times would you be going in at? In temple bar I like farringtons, or head across dame street up the little laneway to the stags head, there are loads of others, be more specific to narrow it down and I'm sure we will have loads of suggestions.

eg studenty/arty crowd, lively enough, touristy, sessions etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 debbie_animal

I would probably mostly be going mid-week in the afternoon/ early evening.

I want somewhere that is reasonably lively but that isn't too touristy, I want to see more of what Dubliners are like! I'm not really too keen on it being a "clubby" atmosphere, just somewhere nice really, preferably with some character.

Not asking for much am I?

I would probably mostly be going mid-week in the afternoon/ early evening.

I want somewhere that is reasonably lively but that isn't too touristy, I want to see more of what Dubliners are like! I'm not really too keen on it being a "clubby" atmosphere, just somewhere nice really, preferably with some character.

Not asking for much am I?

The Stags head is a perfect pub for you, lot of character, real Dublin pub, mixture of regulars, students from TCD/UCD, people who used to drink there in college and still go etc etc.

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/11/pt/0/spid/C0111A99-FA58-4CD3-92241E3B38F34F0E.htm

In general though most pubs around the city centre are very friendly, you should wander it and out of them and try a few out. You'll generally find that people will just leave you alone if you are reading though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 debbie_animal

I'll try the Stags Head out then!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You could also try Brogans on dame St or Grogans on South William st. They're pretty friendly and central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

McDaids on Harry Street (off Grafton Street) in nice for a quiet afternoon pint & leisurely read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Dohney and Nesbits on baggot street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You didn't want to go touristy and went to Temple Bar! More seriously though, all the suggestions above are good. Others would be Nearys on Chatham Street which is just off Grafton Street and Mulligans on Poolbeg Street which is near D'Olier/Westmoreland St

all quality suggestions above..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

You can't really go wrong with most of the pubs on Baggot Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

jdivision wrote:
    Others would be Nearys on Chatham Street which is just off Grafton Street and Mulligans on Poolbeg Street which is near D'Olier/Westmoreland St

Second these - love both of them.

The Dawson Lounge on Dawson St - (Not the big Ron Blacks - the wee one)
    is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

I'm surprised no one has suggested Messrs Maguire's on O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

There are many experts on this issue :D

Stags Head, Brogans, McDaids, Mulligans, The Dawson, Devitts, O'Donoghues, The Gingerman.....to name but a few.

Should keep you busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Daithí Locha

The Long Hall on South Great George's Street, The Stone Corner on Townsend Street, Mulligans on Poolbeg Street, Bowes of Fleet Street are a few haunts that I can think of that are good for a read and a quite pint (actually the Palace on Fleet Street is not too bad either)

Unfortunately they tend to fill up later in the evenings and at weekends, afternoons tend to be a good time though.

Oh, and Kennedy's of Tara Street. If you want to know any others give me a shout - I know them all well!!

Daith&#237 wrote: »
    The Stone Corner on Townsend Street,

Do you mean the long stone here or is there a new one I need to visit?

I'm surprised no one has suggested Messrs Maguire's on O'Connell Bridge.

I'm not, it is ok for a beer on a Friday or Saturday but it is hardly a genuine old school dublin pub. no blow ins, i say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

faceman wrote:
    You could also try Brogans on dame St or Grogans on South William st. They're pretty friendly and central.

Kehoes off Graftons Street is equally as nice as both of these. Upstairs is much less hectic than downstairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

The mezz is very friendly and often great craic.

For sitting and reading, I like the Irish Film Institute (opposite the mezz).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Daith&#237 wrote: »
    The Stone Corner on Townsend Street

I think you mean The Long Stone which is at the back of Pearse Street Gardia station. The Corner Stone is on the corner of Wexford Street & Lower Kevin Street.

Raekwon wrote:
    I think you mean The Long Stone which is at the back of Pearse Street Gardia station. The Corner Stone is on the corner of Wexford Street & Lower Kevin Street.

Yes, apologies, was typing in a hurry!!

I think there is a 'Stone Corner' pub in Lahinch?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I meant the Long Stone, apologies - my brain was working one way and my hands the other!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Brogans, Grogans, Keohoes but only during the week, I love the Long hall on georges. Lotts if you're going northside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

I can't believe no one said the International! this has got to be one of THE friendliest pubs in Dublin City Centre.. The barmen in there are really friendly and it is perfect for a pint on your own. It's on the corner of Wicklow Street and St Andrew Street. The Old Stand opposite it is nice too, but the International rocks! It's like a proper country pub in Dublin..

Oh and if you fancy venturing a little further afield, Walshes in Stoneybatter is such a gem, and the Gravediggers near Glasnevin Cemetary is fab too...

Also, these are all fantastic pubs for a pint of the black stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hot fuss wrote:
    I can't believe no one said the International!

friendly yeah, but u have to admit, its an awful kip!

Advertisement