Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane Coupe -- Questions

Options
  • 12-03-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey!

So I bought a souped up 96 Coupe just today, some questions tho:

When heads are on normal setting one bulb doesnt come on -- but it does for full lights -- how much would this bulb cost to get fitted (and how much for the bulb?)

Windows are kinda shuddery, would this fail the NCT?

Key doesnt seem strongest when pressed to open car -- need a new battery?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

silverwex wrote:
    Hey!

So I bought a souped up 96 Coupe just today, some questions tho:

When heads are on normal setting one bulb doesnt come on -- but it does for full lights -- how much would this bulb cost to get fitted (and how much for the bulb?)

Windows are kinda shuddery, would this fail the NCT?

Key doesnt seem strongest when pressed to open car -- need a new battery?

Thanks!
    You can fit the bulb easily yourself....it would cost you around 5 euros in a motor factors or about 10 euros in a car accessory shop.
    It won't fail the N.C.T. test, just spray some WD40 or silicone spray on the runners for the glass and it will help the electric motors too.
    Get a new battery but make sure you change it in the car and quickly or you could lose the code in the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

"souped" up cars generally have basic maintenance ignored in lieu of spending money on sticking on shiny bits and bright blue lights to go with ridiculously oversized wheels, bodykits, turbo seatbelts and High Torque flux capacitors.

Get a bulb in any motor factors, spend aroud €15. Have a go at fitting it yourself, usually straightforward enough, dont touch the glass of the bulb.

the dimmed and full headlights are two separate bulbs.
    Shuddery windows?? are the motors f****d or are the runners just sticking?

Be careful about replacing batteries in key fobs, I know on my car that if the battery is out for more than 3 minutes without being replaced it needs an expensive recoding at a main dealers.

Top Tip: Dont buy "souped up" cars without NCT.

^Beat me to it junkyard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Top tip no. 2: don't buy a Renault.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In the NCT, only the driver's window is tested, so concentrate your efforts on that one initially. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Wow thanks all!

Its NCt'd til May.

The runners just seem to be sticking on the windows -- glass seems a small bit shakey but motor in it seems to be fine.

Just found out that the passenger window control on passenger side doesnt work, but the drivers controls can put this down -- problem?

How do I fit the bulb -- do I lift up the bonnet and work from there? Dont have much expericnec with cars at all! Also, do I look for specific Renault Megane Coupe bulbs or will any do?

PS - Its not actually souped up, just 17" alloys, small skirts and a modified exhaust that doesnt make much noise at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You need to know the make, model,year of the car and whether its a dipped or full beam bulb. They should have a reference book telling you what bulb you need.

Some motor factors will fit the bulb for you. You should open the bonnet and see if you can manage it yourself though, it it basic car maintenance.

Identify where the bulb is blown, there might be an access to that particular bulb or you might have to take a larger cover off. TBH im not all that familiar with Renaults. You cant do that much damage poking around there though, knocking off the focus of the beams is about the worst you could do.

Thanks Kev.

The problem is when the light is dimmed (normal mode) -- with full heads its fine.

Is it the same type of bulb for heads and dipped?

Also, where do I buy batteries for my key? How much? And how do you fit it as there doesnt seem to be a screw on the key.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

silverwex wrote:
    Thanks Kev.

The problem is when the light is dimmed (normal mode) -- with full heads its fine.

Also, where do I buy batteries for my key? How much? And how do you fit it as there doesnt seem to be a screw on the key.

Thanks

My father went to Halfords for a bulb for his car the other day, he could not find in the car manual what type of bulb it was so he told the chap in there the make and year of the car, the chap came out to the car park and fitted the bulb for him.

Regarding the battery for the key fob, it is usually a battery similar to that of a watch so most jewelers will stock these batteries. Not familiar with the Renault key fob but it might be clipped together rather than a screw.

P.S. when changing the battery in the key fob make sure you are next to the car as the fob may have to be resynce with the infra red sensor inside the car after a few minutes if the battery is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

silverwex wrote:
    Thanks Kev.

Thanks

Headlight is likelt a 'H4' bulb with two elements, one for brights, one for dims. There is bulb access cover at the back of the headlight.

For car key see:

http://www.coupe-club.co.uk/viewtech.php?id=37

Thanks for the replies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How did your insurer react to the fact that the car is "souped up"?

Bad choice of words on my part -- it's not souped up per se. Just has 17" alloys and a slightly bigger exhaust.

Anyway, Im getting insured online so they won't have to react to anything! :D

Advertisement