Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving through Dublin on Sat Morning (Paddy's day)

Options
  • 12-03-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have to drive through Dublin City (From the ferry terminal heading towards Galway - Hence along the Quays) on Sat morning... what good timing, Paddys day!

Anyone know what time the parade starts at? I'll be driving through at around 7.30am, I presume i'll have no problem that early?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the parade starts at 12, not sure what time the traffic restrictions start at though, why not avoid the city centre just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You should be fine. I doubt anyone will be alive at 7:30 on saturday morning, never mind marching around the city centre. I thinnk it usually starts at around midday or so.

You could always pay €6 and go through the port tunnel,thus avoiding the city centre altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Might be an issue, alterantive option is the eastlink (E1.60...?) via ballsbridge and out the canal or South Circular to Kilmainham.

see www.aaireland.ie roadwatch for more details:

The following is a list of temporary road closures for the duration of the St Patrick's Day Festival - ---INITIAL CLOSURES FOR SKYFEST. *9am on Mon 12th to 6pm on Mon 20th March* Sir John Rogerson's Quay between Benson St and Britton Quay. ---FESTIVAL PARADE CLOSURES – SATURDAY 17TH MARCH. *5 am to 01.00 pm* - Western Way, Dominick Street Upper, Mountjoy Street, St. Mary’s Place North, Granby Row, Parnell Square North, Parnell Square East, O’Connell Street (west lane), O’Connell Bridge closed. *7 am to 2 pm* - Westmoreland Street, College Green, Dame Street, Lord Edward Street, Christchurch Place closed. *7 am to 2.30 pm* - Nicholas Street and Patrick Street. *10 am to 3:30 pm* - Clanbrassil Street Lower (Kevin Street to South Circular Road)closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I don't know dublin well at all, can I join the port tunnel at Dublin docklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JohnCleary wrote:
    I don't know dublin well at all, can I join the port tunnel at Dublin docklands?
    Yes, Port Tunnel will be much easier and better signed if you are unsure of way.

Straightforward all the way to Junction 7 of M50. Port Tunnel will cost you €6.

• Advertisement

Sweet thanks for that, definately a possible alternative!

Will it be signposted as soon as I leave the docklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Yes, Port Tunnel will be much easier and better signed if you are unsure of way.

Straightforward all the way to Junction 7 of M50. Port Tunnel will cost you €6.

And an extra E1.90 for the westlink on the M50. Take the next immediate exit after the M50 toll bridge for the N4/N6, easily missed....

And dont forget the E2.60 for the M4 as well...

It's all starting to add up..... (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think the traffic restrictions are from 7am this year

I'll have a twin axle trailer with me so the port tunnel is looking like a good idea.

Just wondering if the directions will be signposted as soon as I leave the docks? I know where the tunnel comes out, and where to join the M50, and also the easily missed turn off to get back to the west

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Really, you can't miss the entrance to the Port Tunnel in the docks - it's enormous.

There is a map here
    and a funny little animated java thing here

• Advertisement

Hey, yeah I did a search on the website earlier, thanks for the links. The animated one is gas. Should have no problems and it seems like a good alternative to the quays!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

spurious wrote:
    a funny little animated java thing here

that is pretty cool, they have really caught the athmosphere and frantic nature of driving in dublin! that deserves a thread of it's own over in motors..

Advertisement