Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with NTL download limit & nasty letter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

Says in their user policy 'All monthly usage allowances refer to levels of downstream data transfer monthly'.

No mention of uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Says in their user policy 'All monthly usage allowances refer to levels of downstream data transfer monthly'.

No mention of uploading.

We all know that their various documents contradict each other. It won't stop them disconnecting you. It has happened not that long ago. They weren't willing to discuss, it was a simple disconnect.

At the time it looked like they had a definate agenda but this was all discussed in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Me has got about 3 letters since moving into my apartment approximately 1 year ago. Torrents are SO slow now....

If they cut me off they cut me off but if the BB goes then I'm not taking TV from them either so they have a lot to lose..... Time will tell I suppose!!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheDrunkenBrain

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm beginning to beleive NTL's letters Ironically have more to do with overuse of upload bandwidth than download. Firstly with people 'giving' a lot on the p2p networks it sucks up a lot of the upload on any contended line which could be resulting in ACKnowledgement problems for people surfing or any other TCP protocols that require ACK's and therefore an obvious degredation in most services regardless of download bandwidth.

Secondly, I believe NTL/UPC 'Ireland' must pay a good deal for their upload bandwidth (with the exception of traffic within their own European network which seems a lot more extensive than I had originally realised (according to their corporate website/spielsite)) since they are not a tier 1 provider and therefore must have multiple contracts with other isp's to pay for outgoing traffic, to make sure it gets where it's going. Whilst Download originates from other ISP's and the onis is on them to pay the traffics 'way' to your machine (unless of course their tier 1 Isp's (which have global 'no pay' agreements).

Anyone with knowledge of ISP's at this level want to weigh in on this and correct, corroborate or elaborate on this? I'd appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheDrunkenBrain

Am I talking complete crap here, anyone?
    HTTP pages not loading on 6mb connections points to insufficient/no upload bandwidth etc... doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I know a mate here at work that has 6MB and was not able to get into messenger and open pages if that is any indicator?

Cheers,
    Mark

madmoe wrote:
    I know a mate here at work that has 6MB and was not able to get into messenger and open pages if that is any indicator?

Cheers,
    Mark

I'm in Naas [Chorus but same thing] and since Friday I couldn't send EMail, loginto Messenger, post to borads.ie or other forums. Basically the upload speed was non existent. My download speed was 180Kbps [rather than 6Mbps] so there must be just enough upload to allow a tiny download.

It's a joke. It was sort of ok in my area until they came around on Friday to do maintanence. They fgooked it up and left for the long weekend. They eventually returned to their site at about 6pm last night to have a look.

Total joke of a company. As soon as I have a viable provider, I'll be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

You're lucky irishtlr, i was getting a dl speed of .24kB/s or .03kb/s with no recognisable upload, took me ages to get to a web page that i needed

rang them up last night, i'm in naas too.

took me 20 mins to get through, when i did the girl seemed rightly pissed off , i'd say she'd been getting an earful all last night. She wasn't very nice on the phone had to drag answers out of her. she said it would be fixed today, i told her it was pathetic customer service from them not even informing people on an outage that had been going on for a week.

I'm moving house in a month or so and it isn't really woth my while changing ,so i guess i'll stick with them for a bit.

Also a freind of mine with the same problem , who tried to cancel his contract yesterday was told by the one of the engineers that the problem could be solved but this would leave thurles with the same problem as us, as we all know its a routing problem, but cant they spread the load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

When I signed up to NTL it was 750kbps and no download cap. That was there top package. I get those letter's a couple of times a year but have never got a disconnect letter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Ok, my housemate just got off the phone and was told its a technical problem and wont be fixed *for a few days*, Lucan btw.
    I dont think we got a letter...house of three lads, we could have got anything in the post over the last few days and wouldn't know. ;)
    So we have no http, ping, tracert, nothing. I've loads of noise from our router using netstumbler so I've ruled out that as the issue.
    Our tv is working, but no broadband, I will assume its the same problem as everyone else has.

How widespread is this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Just got off the phone, they have a guy in naas from 2.30 so she said it should be sorted soon.

I also asked her to have my complaint escalated, which is what everyone here should do, it may not make a diference but here's to trying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Boards is loading really slowly for me . Is it NTL or boards again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

if other webpages are working welll then its boards if not best to start some DL tests and get on to NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It seems to be okish again.

Just got off the phone, they have a guy in naas from 2.30 so she said it should be sorted soon.

I also asked her to have my complaint escalated, which is what everyone here should do, it may not make a diference but here's to trying

Looks like I was back up to full speed by 3:30pm yesterday. I'm still not impressed with their company.

That Thurles post is good to know.

Advertisement