Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are some dealers like?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

The wife's car is officially unsafe to drive. It's 11 years old, there's only 5 months left on the NCT and it needs over a grand's worth of work plus 3 new tyres.

So going down the option of getting a s/h car. Thought I would try some dealers as they must be awash with s/h cars these days. Tried a garage near work. Had a 6 year old car, and not a fashionable one at that, priced at just under €5k. I said €4k. He said €4,800 (for cash!). I said no thanks, I'm not going to be taken for a mug.

Went out Saturday. Looking around a few lots. I asked about a few cars. An 8 year old Corsa - €5k. Huh? This is the cash price. List price was €5,500.

They had a Hyundai Accent. 2000. I have a Hyundai Accent which I bought new in 2000. Admittedly mine is a 3 door as opposed to the 5 door on display. Mine has a FSH, is alarmed (don't ask), got the spotlights at cost in lieu of frustration at recurring initial problem. I think I would be blessed if I had to sell it and could get €2.5 to €3k (and I don't want to, it gives me no trouble and I simply want a car that goes from A to B). The list price on the one on display was €6,250. I'm sure there was a bit of haggle in that price. But are we really to pay a premium of somewhere like 50-75 % for a few months warranty?

Has the world gone mad or have the dealers just made so much money that the greed has gone to their heads?

I appreciate that I just went to a handful of dealers and it is not a representative sample, and I don't meant to offend any dealers out there, but I found this to be a thoroughly negative experience. I was so shocked that I was walking around hoping the sales people wouldn't approach us. I genuinely felt they were trying to intimidate us some times by reacting as if we would be lucky to get anything even remotely road worthy for €4-€5k

I now intend to go down the route of buying privately. I intend to look for a small car with a fsh and then get the AA to give it a thorough looking over.

Anyone else feel the same about some of the motor dealers? And what sort of discount should I get for paying cash. Some of the list prices seemed ridiculous.

Brian

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

some things are a bit overpriced all right but a few dealers on the way to the airport have good prices though in saying that they offered me €3,000 for my €6,500 car so I just laughed and walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

badbrian wrote:
    I intend to look for a small car with a fsh
    In Dublin, small cars with a FSH and low mileage, are generally very expensive as there is a demand for them. A large car, with higher mileage and all the goodies, will probably be the same price.
    badbrian wrote:
    And what sort of discount should I get for paying cash.
    Paying by cash is no longer what it used to be. Many dealers look down their noses at cash customers and the hassle it gives them. A straight deal (i.e. no trade in) will probably get a better price.
    badbrian wrote:
    got the spotlights at cost
    They are fog lights for use in fog only, not spotlights. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Paying by cash is no longer what it used to be. Many dealers look down their noses at cash customers and the hassle it gives them. A straight deal (i.e. no trade in) will probably get a better price.

What I meant by a cash deal was no trade-in. Apologies for the confusion. It was clear to the guys I was dealing with as I said we wouldn't be trading in.

I would expect that the trade in value of the old car would only be equivalent to the discount, so best to see if anyone wants to pay a couple of hundred euro for the car separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Most dealers will pass on cars worth less than 5k to smaller dealers, there just not interested because Mr & Mrs SSIA are coming in buying brand new cars from them. The thing is the S/H prices should be coming down at the moment as dealers s/h stock increases due to new car SSIA buying.
    But it doesn't seem to be happening at present.
    If your looking for a small engined, small mileage, small car, i'd buy privately over a dealer, especially if your not trading in.

If your buying for cash (no trade in)from a dealer, the discount depends on the car TBH , i.e you'll get more off a high mileage big car with a high price,
    than a small car worth 5K, i'd go in 1000K less then asking price for a 5K car from a dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Hey Brian,

Just bought a car last week from a small garage. Was a toss between a Golf and an Astra he had and went with the Golf. Astra was really nice car though, only reason I didn't go with it was it was a saloon and was too big for me.

Only reason I'm posting is I spent ages looking for a decent car at a decent price so understand your frustration. I have no connection with the dealer other than his phone number which I can pass on if you want to PM me.

May not be what you are looking for but I was so long looking for decent car last time, I would have loved to have been given a heads-up on any cars out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Try going down to the auction at Wilsons on the Naas Road on Tuesdays, good prices if you're prepared to deal on a sold as seen basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Darragh29 wrote:
    Try going down to the auction at Wilsons on the Naas Road on Tuesdays, good prices if you're prepared to deal on a sold as seen basis.

And you can see some of these in dealers with signicantly lower milage the following week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

badbrian wrote:
    The wife's car is officially unsafe to drive. It's 11 years old, there's only 5 months left on the NCT and it needs over a grand's worth of work plus 3 new tyres.

11 year old car unsafe to drive, Jasus, driven into the ground eh?

Advertisement