Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help finding a good cable modem/router with wireless

Options
  • 13-03-2007 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a modem as specified as above. i want to connect a laptop (wirelessly), a wii (wirelessly), and an xbox 360 (wired). in my old place we had DSL and I used a dlink which was really good, but tracking down a similar cable modem seems pretty tough. if anyone has one they could recommend one from experience, that'd be great, along with any other info i might need to know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I take it you are with NTL / Chorus?? They should supply you with a modem, then you just have to buy a router. As far as Im aware you cant just buy a cable modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

i'm actually going with a company in a new estate, they're called e-nvi. 3 meg for 35 euro. but no modem. found this though, looks the job.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1111307#spec

actually, no, that's just a router. it says mode+, thought it said modem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

deadduck wrote:
    i'm actually going with a company in a new estate, they're called e-nvi. 3 meg for 35 euro. but no modem. found this though, looks the job.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1111307#spec

actually, no, that's just a router. it says mode+, thought it said modem

Before parting with your money you should establish with the Cable company exactly what they will be supplying you with and if they are not supplying you with anything what equipment you should purchase. Dont be jumping the gun put the onus on them to give you clear information.

Sorry to dissappoint you but Im fairly shure that has no modem in it.

YOu usually get the cable modem off of your ISP. With NTL at least the give it to you , thats the only one you can use, and you cant change any of the settings in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

you're right chris, just read their FAQ properly. they supply a modem alright, and then i can add a wireless router onto that. thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Yep thats how its normally done. Your welcome man no problem at all.:)

Advertisement