Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen Cover on Insurance

Options
  • 13-03-2007 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

I have FC Insurance with Quinn Direct & Windscreen cover on it, now I got a new car 2 weeks ago and transferred the policy onto it permanently from my old car. I had to get a new windscreen last Thursday (thanks to road works) and went ahead to get it on the insurance, got it done and now today the windscreen centre got a call from Quinns saying that they won't pay out as the policy has been transferred :confused: .

Am I missing something or are they trying to pull a fast one :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Quinns are notorious for not paying out. Check your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Don't be surprised if they say this affects you NCB with them as well..........I have heard some stories were they take ages to payout any money for claims

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If the windscreen was on the old car they are within their rights not to pay.

If it is the new car you got the windscreen for, then they don't have much of an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    If the windscreen was on the old car they are within their rights not to pay.

If it is the new car you got the windscreen for, then they don't have much of an excuse.
    I think they may have a rule whereby you are not allowed to claim for a new windscreen for the first 30 days.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think they may have a rule whereby you are not allowed to claim for a new windscreen for the first 30 days.

Possibly true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anan1 wrote:

if thats true then thats a joke, sure when u go for insurance your asked if you want windscreen cover or not and you pay for it on your policy, not as if it's costing them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

hellboy99 wrote:
    if thats true then thats a joke, sure when u go for insurance your asked if you want windscreen cover or not and you pay for it on your policy, not as if it's costing them money.

I'm with quinn too and I also changed my car during the policy, I rang them and they said I was not covered for break down assistance, but never said anything about the windscreen cover.

Well they may pay up and honor what they have printed on my policy. I'll not be going back to them when my insurance is up.

I'm on my 3rd year with them now, just because I'm only 25 and there hundreds cheaper than anyone else..

They may be cheaper but they're no good to you if they won't pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hellboy99 wrote:
    Have a good read through the terms of your policy, that should tell you exactly where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm on my 3rd year with them now, just because I'm only 25 and there hundreds cheaper than anyone else..

And you can see why they are. They usually only give the basic of cover. Always read the small print of the policy. A fully comprehensive policy with Quinn Direct usually can mean the opposite. They are the Ryan Air of insurance companies imo.

When shopping around for car and home insurance I always compare the different policies not just the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A lot of young drivers only have an insurance policy to satisfy the legal requirement for one. For them, the cheaper the better. I use Quinn because every other company gives me ridiculous quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

hellboy99 wrote:

Agreed, they are cheap but a disaster to deal with when you need them. Car was broken into lately and it took nearky 5 days for an assesor to look at it, needed a new door, got so fed up i cancelled the claim, drove back to cork minus a window and fixed it myself.

I'm 24. Quinn were €508 for standard fully comp. Axa were €575 fully comp, with all the bells and whistles including breakdown cover. I went with Axa.

im paying 1260 for fully comp and the nearest other quote i got was in in the 1600's ..

Advertisement