Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL in the Park

Options
  • 13-03-2007 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Anybody elses NTL gone in the Park, mine has been gone since last night. Is it possible that these muppets would have disconnected us and not let us know, I paid the bill over a week ago, but as we all know we are dealing with NTL.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There's been a few theads on this topic before. General convention is to switch off your box, unplug it for a moment then try it again. Failing that, make sure that your card is clean.

If that still doesn't work try these guys: www.sky.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

We didn't really mind the odd picture freeze up the first few months. Big deal.

Now, NTL crashes several times a day and is always frozen the first time you turn on the box each day.

I rang tech support and the guy agreed that no, it's not normal to have to go to the "Help" menu and press the "Reset" button several times per day and is sending someone out to check our aerial. I pointed out that we have no individual aerial and that there's (apparently) one big aerial serving the estate. He asked if neighbours were having problems and I said yes.

So, while I've booked a visit to have our telly checked out, the guy is pre-warned that it might be a bigger problem with the local delivery.

Question: anyone have NTL come out to check your crap reception? What'd they do exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

I know my post goes against the grain but... have had NTL digital in the grove for almost 1 yr now. Tv is on almost evening evening from 7 onwards. It freezes about once a fortnight and the problem is always solved by resetting the unit. Apart from this occasional inconvenience (and their brutal customer service) I have had no problems with the NTL product. I know my immediate neighbours have no major probs with their reception either.

Again, just to let you know that some of us have only mild NTL problems. Rather than the transmission, perhaps its a cabling or bandwidth issue for some sectors of Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aye - we've had relatively few problems with ours too. Compared to Chorus in the rest of greystones, the picture quality and reliablilty of the NTL service is vastly superior.

My main problem with it is that you can't watch one thing and record another (though the same restriction applies to Sky unless you have Sky+)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Im in the Grove and have always had intermittant problems with NTL but have definately noticed in the last couple of weeks that I'm having to reboot the box every time I turn on the tv.

Not ringing NTL though - my sanity wouldnt be able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

loyatemu wrote:
    aye - we've had relatively few problems with ours too. Compared to Chorus in the rest of greystones, the picture quality and reliablilty of the NTL service is vastly superior.

My main problem with it is that you can't watch one thing and record another (though the same restriction applies to Sky unless you have Sky+)

I think NTL are currently trialing their version of Sky+, and hope to release it soon enough. I would hope that people on MMDS can receive it, and that the firmware is better than the buggy crap on the current boxes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Have just had NTL out this morning after over 2 weeks without any signal.............. and the reason being........... an NTL engineer had disconnected us in Charelesland!!!!

The guy today said that our number was on the wrong cable and that one of our neighbours must not be with NTL so they pulled their cable, ie our cable!! He also said there was no point in them even pulling any cables cos unless you have the digital box you can't get it anyway!!

They are a total shambles. Had to take a day off work cos they couldn't give me any specific time that they could come out, and the nearest available weekend appointment was the 27th April :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I had no signal since I posted the original message, thankfully they fixed it on Sat last finally after we asked them to disconnect us.

Its sounds like they did a similar thing to us originally as well

Beauts

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I really think all people with NTL complaints should write to the management co. and explain and hopefully we can get rid of the ban on SKy dishes in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

dubsgirl wrote:
    I really think all people with NTL complaints should write to the management co. and explain and hopefully we can get rid of the ban on SKy dishes in the area.

I reckon if you have a satellite dish at the back of your house without wires hanging all over the place that you shouldn't have a problem. Some people even put them on their sheds, which IMO looks fine. There's a row of houses in the Wood though where they all have dishes on the front and on chimneys etc. which makes the place look like Divis Flats in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Have to admit

When I first saw the headline I thought, "Ah sh!te, not another comms company bandwaggoning on the summer festival buzz, trying to make an easy buck out of kids....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

dubsgirl wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree!
    I abide by the ban, but I really don't get it. As I've stated before, I don't understand why people have a distaste for satellite dishes, especially now that they've grown a hell of a lot smaller in size, and won't obstruct anything. And to be honest with you, I don't even think they look that bad, certainly not as bad as SUV's parked all over the estate. :) (j/k) It's just some people's subjective viewpoint on an aesthetic matter enforced on everyone due to historical reasons, and I for one am for lifting the ban: I think it's worth it if it helps everybody get rid of the NTL!

Also if there was more of a sense of community, up to 4 houses could share a single dish (with a quad LNB). They'd still have to have separate sky subscriptions and digiboxes, only the dish is shared. That'll certainly won't look that bad at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Anyone interested in putting together a general letter of complaint for NTL with general problems with the service for each of the subscribers to send in?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Would be interested if we were sending it to the management co.
    Not so interested if it is going into NTL, you could march through their office listing your complaints with a hundred people marching behind you and they'd still tell you a supervisor will get back to you - there's no-one here right now.

Aaarrgghh hate them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Has anyone actually spoken to either the residents' committee or the management company about allowing dishes?

At the AGM for the Grove and Park, the rep from the company really didn't give the impression that it was out of the question to allow dishes.

In fact, she agreed that the standard rule was a throwback to when the dishes looked like something in the control tower in Dublin Airport. Now they are much smaller, and as MuffinsDa has said, you don't even need one per house if the neighbours can organise sharing it.

Anyhow, the following site is blocked at work, but I read in the papers that there is some kind of petition on to get rid of the exclusive access to estates that some companies enjoy. I can't get through to the site, so don't know if it's geared more towards the broadband side of things, rather than TV, but may be worth a look.

http://neighbours.ie/

On the topic of Residents' Committees, is it not possible for the representatives to PM myself or Mike, and we can post a contact email address in one of the sticky threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Last time someone from the Wood's Committee posted officially, it was to say they had nothing to do with Boards!

My PM box is open to them nonetheless.

I tried that neighbours.ie site but theres only 2 posts from charlesland :(

http://www.neighbours.ie/wicklow/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Heres the link to the cabling monopoly petition - seems theres a lot of people in our situation......

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/cablemonopoly/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the problem isn't with NTL having a monopoly on the cable - this is the same everywhere (in the rest of Greystones its Chorus, but they're the same company now).

The problem is the ban on satellite dishes and aerials so people have no alternative to cable, but this is just a condition of the management contract and can be changed.

I wrote to the Park Management comm. CPM listing the reasons why I had to stop paying NTL for brutal service and explanation for putting a very small dish up in an unobtrusive area. They wrote back saying they had passed my comments on the the Directors of CPM. Haven't heard anything since?
    This was about 3 months ago....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tanith

I would absolutely love to get rid of the ban on satellite dishes so let me know if something is going in. we have had no sky sports for 2 months and of course not only are not only charging us for it but also they over charging us (I'd got NTL in DEC and have a bill for more than 300 for less than 4 months & it's supposed to be 45 a month!):confused:
    I made an app for them to come out, I needed a sat so i had to wait 3 wks,they called on a thurs to confirm, we stayed in all day on the sat and then they never showed up!! :mad: I called last wk to give out and the next app was 27th apr so I said forget it and please cancel the service. they told me that had to go through to their cancellation service :eek: which was open mon-fri 9-5 and this was fri night. I was told someone would call me on monday to put the cancellation through which i laughed at. and now it's wed and still no call, they are the worst ever, i deplore bad service!!! I really want to go to sky even if they are more expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Now, NTL crashes several times a day and is always frozen the first time you turn on the box each day.

I rang tech support and the guy agreed that no, it's not normal to have to go to the "Help" menu and press the "Reset" button several times per day and is sending someone out to check our aerial. I pointed out that we have no individual aerial and that there's (apparently) one big aerial serving the estate. He asked if neighbours were having problems and I said yes.

So, while I've booked a visit to have our telly checked out, the guy is pre-warned that it might be a bigger problem with the local delivery.

Question: anyone have NTL come out to check your crap reception? What'd they do exactly?

In fairness, he came out and said the box was faulty, not receiving the signals correctly. He replaced it and now service is back to the old level of just the occasional blip, which we have built up a tolerance for.

Advertisement