Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology (MH106)

• 13-03-2007 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am thinking of going back to college as a mature student in 2008. Can anyone tell me how this course is rated, compared to those offered by other universities? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know that Professor Barnes-Holmes is well respected internationally and he is the overall head of department but I know nothing of the other staff.

Just a slight word of warning, it is generally recommended that with any psychology course you complete a degree and at least one postgraduate qualification if you intend to make Psychology a career.
    the undergraduate degree represents only the first stage in a professional training that will require an additional two to six years of study or supervised experience.

This may be a higher Diploma, Masters or PhD initially follwed by training within the health or social services etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

r3nu4l wrote:
    Just a slight word of warning, it is generally recommended that with any psychology course you complete a degree and at least one postgraduate qualification if you intend to make Psychology a career.

Thanks for the response! I had assumed that I would be looking at spending 6-8 years in college all right, between degree, experience & postgrad.

Are you in Maynooth yourself?

nodger wrote:
    Are you in Maynooth yourself?

Not anymore, I spent 12 years in NUIM from 1992-2004 as undergrad, PhD student (NUIM/TCD Dental Hospital) and then post-doctoral research staff.

Loved it, NUIM is a very friendly Uni and good place to study, as with all Unis you have to work hard :)

Hi nodger,

Just thought I'd let you know (in case you don't already) that there is a Psychology board here. Some of the people there may know a bit more about the course. Don't relly on one reply, go with the majority :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The courseis just as good as any other university's course as they're all standardised to a certain degree by the Psychological Society of Ireland and the British Psychology Society (although standardised in quality, not the content of course). I've never been an undergrad there but my girlfriend was and she really enjoyed the course. Staff are really good in all their own areas. They've good funding and resources and the postgrads are all very attractive and exciting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement