Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrickfinn Airport/Aerfort Dhun na nGall

Options
  • 13-03-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

A chairde,

Just wondering have many of you used Carrickfinn Airport (CFN)?
    Would you look at it as an alternative to bussing it up the road from Dublin?

I personally would use City of Derry Airport as it is closer to home,(but fares with Loganair can be quite pricey!), but for those of you on the Atlantic Seaboard or South Donegal, would you consider using Aer Arann's service from Dublin? I note that Aer Arann also fly between CFN and Prestwick and that frequency will be increased on this route for the peak Summer season so that's a positive sign.

We have all seen how other regional airports, especially Knock have been attracting more and more carriers and thus steadily developing new routes. What scope has Carrickfinn for such development?

Would like to hear you thoughts.

Is mise le meas,
    Mike The Man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm with you on this Mike. I would use Derry as it is much closer. Why did they put an airport at the bottom of Errigal and not somewhere more central? Also, the Irish Government provides funds to Carrickfinn and Derry. The last time I was in Derry airport, the majority of the cars were Donegal registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I used the airport quite regularly when i was in uni as it was only another 5 mins home then. Fantastic service, 40 minutes and im home, instead of nearly 6 hrs on a bus. Price isnt bad either, used to get single fares for 30e if booked early enough, whereas a single bus ticket would be nearly 20e or so

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

For us going to Donegal Town, CFN is too far away and there is no direct bus service. It would seem handier to try and fly to Sligo or Derry as either is about a 45 minute drive on better roads.

It could be interesting if CFN offered a shuttle bus to Letterkenny bus station or somewhere with a connecting bus service.

For me coming from Boston, Derry is the best option as the Sligo flight leaves Dublin at about the same time as the Boston plane get's in, and I couldn't imagine trying to drive the road from Carrickfinn to Donegal Town safely with a sleep-deprived, jetlagged addled brain. ;)

And for anyone interested in flying to/from the States some English charter airline is going to be doing flights via Knock, the only issue with that can be going through US immigration in the US, where the lines can be much longer than at US immigration in Shannon or Dublin.

>Why did they put an airport at the bottom of Errigal and not somewhere more central?
    Don't know, but for those folk who used to have to do the 6 hour bus trip from Dublin I'd say that airport is a godsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JosephQ

I,ve used CFN a few times as well as Derry. If I use CFN then I home in half hour after touch down and Derry a hour and a quarter. But Derry has a better flight times and frequencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

I have used both CFN and LDY ariports for Dublin flights, they are so handy. I was quite central in Letterkenny, but now in Milford CFN is a little closer.

Wish it was in Manor / Big Isle though :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Wish it was in Manor / Big Isle though :-)
    there was a renewed push for this again not so long ago...think the proximity to derry halted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Takes longer to get from Carrickfinn to Letterkenny than from Dublin to Carrickfinn. No politician has the gumption to close it and built one where it would be of use. Its a great facility, well run and I have used it but it doesn't even have a proper bus connection although been tried.

Donegal Co Council and the Irish Govt heavily subsidise Derry when they should have had the bottle years ago to build an airport where it should have been.

Platitudes will be paid but that remains the fact, and now economic arguements support not building one..... who's pulling the woll over who?

Advertisement