Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant lawn

Options
  • 13-03-2007 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

im moving into my new house soon and am thinking about getting the grass done, now I really dont know what is involved as its a new house but I know that the back garden will have to be levelled and seeded, and the rocks taken out, but with two kids, wouldn't it be easier to just get that instant grass that comes in rolls, and just roll it out, anyone get this done before. My dad says its very expensive and could be thousands.. its only an average sized garden in a three bed semi d. Even if I got half it done for the kids i'd be happy.

Any recommendations (apart from saving divots from the golf club)

:)

0488figc.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

50 sq m 120.94 euro
    http://www.onlineturf.com/
    never usedc them but its the first that came up on google just to get a rough price ring round i did t a couple of times in england never found it that expnsive

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I did my lawn last year. I got the sod from http://www.summerhilllawns.ie/. I had a trailer so I went and collected it myself which made it a little cheaper. The price was €3.30 per metre sq. which isn't too bad. I've two kids under 4 and they went playing on it straight away. It took a few weeks of watering but then the grass just took off. Looks great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you end up slightly short, B&Q sell rolls for about €5(?) each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I did my lawn last year. I got the sod from http://www.summerhilllawns.ie/. I had a trailer so I went and collected it myself which made it a little cheaper. The price was €3.30 per metre sq. which isn't too bad. I've two kids under 4 and they went playing on it straight away. It took a few weeks of watering but then the grass just took off. Looks great now.

I would second summerhill lawns.I used them 2 years ago and still no weeds.You're not suppossed to walk on lawn until the lawn knits together and starts rooting.Important to keep it well watered but not over watered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

That sounds the biz i'll give them a ring. thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Morning all,

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm a landscaper and us these guys. http://www.emeraldlawns.ie/

Top top class roll out grass, and at an affordable price.

They are up in the north but will deliver down here. Usually Wednesdays or Thursdays.

They supply Lansdowne Road, Dublin; K Club, Co. Kildare and other golf clubs. So have a very good reputation.

Best of luck.

Pip

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Got my roll down from Summerhill Lawns which cost €240, which you have to put down yourself.

This is when it first went down last May:
    107wi1.jpg

And this is how it looked a couple of weeks later:
    dscf24988dy.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

mmm nice job delly has a plush carpet look about it...

I think 240euros is expensive though for such a small area....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

what prep work would you have to do before laying the lawn?

I have a garden that looks terrible .. just the grass seed and weeds thrown down by the developer nearly 2 years ago?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Depending on how bad it is you may have to rotavate the soil going down about 6 inchs, take out all the big stones etc. and then rack it smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

delly wrote:
    Depending on how bad it is you may have to rotavate the soil going down about 6 inchs, take out all the big stones etc. and then rack it smooth.

While I appreciate the convenience of the rolls, if time is not a major concern, then you'd work out far cheaper setting grass seed and the proparatory work is exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

delly wrote:
    Got my roll down from Summerhill Lawns which cost €240, which you have to put down yourself.

This is when it first went down last May:
    107wi1.jpg

And this is how it looked a couple of weeks later:
    dscf24988dy.jpg

only that the garden hose is visible the corner of the shed looks as if u have a great dane:)

Advertisement