Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was in the supermarket last week, and paid for my groceries using my Laser. When asked if I wanted cashback, I asked for 20 euro, entered my pin, and initialed the receipt when the cashier requested me to do so.

After packing the bags, the cashier handed me my card and receipt and what I assumed was my 20 euro (yes, i should have checked there and then!) - I wrapped the paper around the card, put it in my back packet, but on arriving home, the 20 was not there. I am pretty certain that I didn't receive it.

After a lot of too-ing and fro-ing, I got a call from one of the managers who insists that the till was not showing up 'over' for the day in question.

I know that I should have checked on leaving the till, and I accept that I am at fault here, but is there anything else I can do? Do I have a leg to stand on?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

sorry man...sounds like it fell out on the way into or out of your pocket....no real case for the shop to answer...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id give it up as lost if i were you. You might notice most shops get you to sign for the money now. Unusual that they didnt.
    Edit: doh. just noticed you did initial it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Exact same thing happened to me at my local Spar, I walked off without it like. I went back in the next night, ready with loads of points ie. check your cctv for the time and you'll see that the cashier didn't actually reach into the drawer and take a note out when I was at the till etc.

But the guy on the cashier just apologised and gave the 20 quid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Talk to the manager and the manager only. In a calm voice explain what happened and ask him to check the cameras. I am a shop manager and this has happened in my store. DO NOT GO IN SHOUTING AT HIM, he will only blank you. If he is able to, he will check and reimburse you. Apart from that, you dont have a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the till wasn't over 20 quid then it's highly unlikely that they didn't give it to you - unless the cashier, as doubtful as it sounds, pocketed it. Stores count their tills at the end of the day or in an event like this - if they hadn't given you the money, their till would clearly be 20 euro credited.

I'd say you just lost it to be honest, or misplaced it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,890 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HavoK wrote:
    If the till wasn't over 20 quid then it's highly unlikely that they didn't give it to you - unless the cashier, as doubtful as it sounds, pocketed it. Stores count their tills at the end of the day or in an event like this - if they hadn't given you the money, their till would clearly be 20 euro credited.

I'd say you just lost it to be honest, or misplaced it...
    that may not be the case, my GF worked in Centra for a while, and they had to do till checks at the end of every shift, some days some of the girls she worked with would have tills down by up to €40 (managers were not impressed when this was happening) so just becase the til is not up money, does not mean the €20 was given to the OP, it could just be down less then it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Here's an update!

I asked one of the managers to review the tapes so we could resolve this, I suggested that perhaps the money fell off the counter, and then we'd know either way. She said she would and would get back to me the next day. I didn't hear from her for 3 days, so I wrote a nice email to customer services saying I wasn't happy with the way they dealt with the complaint, since once again, nobody was getting back to me.

2 days later, i got a call from another manager saying they didn't have security cameras 'in that area' but feel free to call up anytime and collect my 20 euro!

Wonder why the change of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Glowing wrote:
    Here's an update!

I asked one of the managers to review the tapes so we could resolve this, I suggested that perhaps the money fell off the counter, and then we'd know either way. She said she would and would get back to me the next day. I didn't hear from her for 3 days, so I wrote a nice email to customer services saying I wasn't happy with the way they dealt with the complaint, since once again, nobody was getting back to me.

2 days later, i got a call from another manager saying they didn't have security cameras 'in that area' but feel free to call up anytime and collect my 20 euro!

Manager took it? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Glowing wrote:

probably more hassle than its worth to dispute €20 to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Might be slightly irrelevant-I work in a supermarket and the amount of people that dont keep their wits about them. They go to the self-scanners and walk away without their change, then come in later demanding it and dont understand that no, we are not just going to take your word for it when you say you are missing €50. If you walk away without your money esp on the self scanners its your fault. Or they drop it on the way out, we go back to the cameras and see the person behind them pocketed it but they still try and demand the money back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Glowing wrote:
    After packing the bags, the cashier handed me my card and receipt and what I assumed was my 20 euro

It is practice to ask the customer to circle and initial the cashback on the receipt. This ensures the money was handed over. If this wasn't done then it does go in your favour. I suspect the "turn around" was a good faith gesture, & the fact that you pursued the matter by email & in person.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No, its not practice. I am the manager of a store in West Dublin and never ask people to circle the cash back. If someone says they didnt get it, legally, they dont have a leg to stand on. However, I always check my cameras and also see if the till was over on that shift. If I have it, I will always give it to the customer.

There are no official guidelines about this whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm a cashier and i never get them to circle and initial it either- whats it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Most shops now ask you to circle the cashback, i was asked to do so by dunnes and marks and spencers to name but two in the last few days. In fact, I can't remember the last time I WASN'T asked to circle & initial the cashback.

The idea is that you initial the cashback amount as they hand you the money to confirm you got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

BC wrote:
    Most shops now ask you to circle the cashback, i was asked to do so by dunnes and marks and spencers to name but two in the last few days. In fact, I can't remember the last time I WASN'T asked to circle & initial the cashback.

The idea is that you initial the cashback amount as they hand you the money to confirm you got it.
    I don't see how this is going to stand up in court though in the unlikely event you'd want to go so far to dispute it?

Advertisement