Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost car keys - dealer or locksmith?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

I lost my car keys for a 97 Toyota corolla which is just an ordinary key with no chip or remote. I've one door left open. Where can replacement keys be gotten from? Would a locksmith able to cut a key for the ignition just based on having access to the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A good locksmith should be able to cut a key from a lock. Try Crothers in Walkinstown. www.crothers.ie - it's worth asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

A 97 Irish Corolla does have an immobiliser and i am pretty sure an import would too. Even if it is the very last of the old shape I think it does. If it is the first of the new shape it certainly has. The model changed in 97. The chip is built into the head of the key.

A dealer can supply a key number which will allow a locksmith to cut a key which will work in the locks as long as they are origional. If you do not have an immob then you are sorted. A locksmith cannot supply a working transponder key. The dealer cannot either. The dealer will try and sell you a new ECU, keys etc. approx cost €1300. There are a number of options. The immob can be bypassed so the car will start with the key cut from the locksmith or you can source a second hand set of keys, ECU etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can buy plenty of transponder keys for Toyotas on Ebay, They can be coded yourself , usually it takes a combination of turning the ignition on and off a number of times and then opening and closing the drivers door.
    However some models are different and need another sequence to code the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

CJhaughey wrote:
    You can buy plenty of transponder keys for Toyotas on Ebay, They can be coded yourself , usually it takes a combination of turning the ignition on and off a number of times and then opening and closing the drivers door.
    However some models are different and need another sequence to code the key.

Thats worrying... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Thanks for replies.
    In the end I rang a main dealer with reg. no. of car. They said they had no blank keys left so they just gave me 5 digit model number and told me to go to a key cutter who was able to make it for me. It cost €10 as it didn't include a chip because car doesn't have an immobiliser. It made me realise that I could have just been in a car park, spotted an old corolla, rang up with the reg. no. for the model number of the key, gone to a nearby keysmith and driven off with the car all within 10 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It made me realise that I could have just been in a car park, spotted an old corolla, rang up with the reg. no. for the model number of the key, gone to a nearby keysmith and driven off with the car all within 10 minutes!

Then the owner would have been in the market for another Toyota! :D Please don't mention the name of the dealer who helped you. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dealer will usually ask for proof of ownership

Advertisement