Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Administration Building?

• 13-03-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Was walking past there on the way in and the windows are being knocked out and there are smoke stains up the walls. Fire brigade all around. Anyone know what's happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Which part of the building? Did it look like there was much damage done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

humbert wrote:
    Was walking past there on the way in and the windows are being knocked out and there are smoke stains up the walls. Fire brigade all around. Anyone know what's happened?

I saw this on my way in too... don't know what happened though... I was hoping someone on boards migh have more info about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Upstairs toward the back(I.e. near the extension which doesn't look to be affected). Damage doesn't looks too extensive but I don't know where most of the records are kept or how far back from the windows the damage goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

There was a message on my office phone saying that the personnel office is closed until further notice, so i would reckon thats at least one of the offices affected.

It might not look like much from the outside, but could require a lot of work to put safe

I'm sure it will be handled quickly and efficiently with the minimum disruption. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Apparently there was an electrical fault. There was a big plume of smoke coming coming out of personnel this morning (7.30).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

More electrical faults hmmm?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It only got it's electrics re-done over the summer. Bad move college!

Anyone got a photo of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

200px-479px-Atomic_blast.jpg

3%2021%20QF-4S+%20155749%20VX-30%20crash%20explosion%20l.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

apparently it got so hot the windows in a different part of the building cracked

• Advertisement

yea, when I was walking bye the firemen were knocking out the remains of the windows. It wasn't a trivial fire, I'd say it could be a while before the building is fully(well for admin) operational again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Apparently some electrical equipment overheated. Two floors of the building are said to be seriously damaged. Also, it seems that the misplaced staff are to use the basement of the restaurant while things get fixed up.

If I hear anything more I'll post it here. I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of conspiracy theories coming out of the woodwork though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

humbert wrote:
    Upstairs toward the back(I.e. near the extension which doesn't look to be affected). Damage doesn't looks too extensive but I don't know where most of the records are kept or how far back from the windows the damage goes.
    You mean where the presidents and registrars office is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

gubbie wrote:
    conspiracy theories... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

At least with a damaged building they'll have a bit of an excuse for not being able to do their jobs.

Sorry... I know I'm bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They obviously told the wrong person that their resuts would not come through in time for the next millenium.

gubbie wrote:

I don't really know where those offices are but it's the upstairs bit far behind the desks you go to for "help".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Library, Admin...

spate of arson in UCD?

Funny, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I saw the damage it looks very extensive.I'll say it'll take time for the college to get it back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Personnel is closed until further notice. Also, as far as I know, Accounts is in that area of the building. I hope nobody was hurt, some people come in around 7.30 to get their work done. Fingers crossed, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of conspiracy theories coming out of the woodwork though.

Anyone else think it was Hugh Brady . . . . . .????? ¬_¬

note that it was in fact NOT Hugh Brady, to the best of my knowledge, and that I have no money so I'm not worth suing for libel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Personell was completely burned out, and a source informs me that most of the computers (read records) were destroyed completely.

I sincerely hope for the sake of the staff they have off-site backups. Otherwise... well... that's bad.

A pic for those who haven't seen. Sorry about the quality!

firecu7.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Your very presence, Aristotle, is more noteworthy than the picture ;)

The guy in your picture also seems to be hailing the building, or perhaps calling down further wrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It would be the height of amatuer hour if it turned out that was their only records for whatever was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

But this is UCD we're talking about. Would you actually be surprised?

To be honest I would be surprised. If you've only one copy of anything on a computer it's only a matter of time until it's lost. If that was their only copy I'd say disaster would have struck long before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Usually if any data is lost, its not the IT peoples fault (in this case Comp. Services). They always have a backup policy, the problem usually comes from individual users who don't stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i havent got a clue wats going on when i see :
    all labs of Tierney Building became Office of the Registrar Staff only.:o

glad there is no body hurt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pyromania ftw.

Any bets on what/where the culprit will strike next?

Advertisement