Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new build <3 <3 <3

Options
  • 13-03-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Well....my parts arrived last night.....

Core 2 Quad :D Q6600 (this arrived before....got it cheap from a friend)
    Scythe Ninja cooler
    2GB PC6400
    650W BeQuiet PSU (<3 this...it really does keep the whole system quiet)
    XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard

Bits I had before:
    Antec 900 case
    74G Raptor
    3 other hdd's totaling 720G
    2 x dvd drives (1 burner)

=

OMG TEH DELICIOUSNESS!!!!

I took photos of the initial stages of the build. Thought it might help people out to see properly applied thermal paste, etc. Then I thought...Probably plenty of guides online. I also took a small vid of inserting the CPU into the socket. These two things are probably where most damage can be done. After that, it's more or less lego. Is anyone actually interested in seeing these bits?

I bumped the Q6600 up to 2.7GHz as an initial overclock and it's rock solid with normal voltages. I'll push it later today to see what it can hit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Go on sure ya might as well show us a few pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Flaunt your jamminess! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You were probably filthy rich before buying this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Stephen wrote:
    You were probably filthy rich before buying this ;)

Actually, with the knocked down processor, and selling my old kit (3800+ x2, 1G + SLI mobo) it only cost me around 750 euro extra.

*waits for abuse*

I'll stick up the pics later today. I'm a bit tired today after building and testing out the new lady last night. :)

How much is that quad 6600? Last I checked the cheapest 4 way cpu was the bones of a grand :eek:

• Advertisement

Not sure if I can say. It was staff discount cheap though. :)

*waits for abuse*

btw quad_red, I lol'd at "flaunt your jamminess" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea do post pictures and videos.. I would find them helpful im going to be you in a couple of weeks!!!!! :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That Core 2 Quad is very nice being dying to get one myself.

Great setup overall though :cool:

8T8 wrote:
    That Core 2 Quad is very nice being dying to get one myself.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I have to say, I feel like I'm sitting on a behemoth of a computer, but it's rarely making it over 25% CPU utilisation if I'm honest. I hit 88% with a threaded compile at one point, and 100% during stress testing, but in general, it does feel a bit wasteful for now.
    8T8 wrote:
    Great setup overall though :cool:

Cheers. I'm delighted with it. First time I've owned what I consider to be a relatively future proof machine (to the extent that such a thing exists). :)

I'll get those pics up over the next day or two...life's taking over atm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

by future proof you mean for the next 6 months !

• Advertisement

:P

I expect the quad core (which I'm hoping to clock at 3GHz or higher) to be a fast processor for at least the next 18 months given its 2 x e6600's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

What exactly is coming out in 6 months that's going to make that ridiculously overpowered behemoth outdated?!?!?

<Anti proffers his ground breaking program to predict the changing moods of women>

oh. ok.

Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Come on Khannie, post the pics !!!

PURE TECH PRON I BET !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

What a waste!, the G90 and DX10.1 with PS5.0 coming end of 07, Bearlke X38, DDR3 1066MHz and 45nm Qad cores with 12MB cache i'd say now is NOT the time to upgrade.

In 6 months your uber hardware will be worth half of what it is now.

Khannie wrote:
    :P

I expect the quad core (which I'm hoping to clock at 3GHz or higher) to be a fast processor for at least the next 18 months given its 2 x e6600's.

HAHA! :p 18 months...in 18 months there'll be a 45nm native Quad core with 12MB of L2 cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

In 6 months heres whats happening

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6484

What a waste!, the G90 and DX10.1 with PS5.0 coming end of 07, Bearlke X38, DDR3 1066MHz and 45nm Qad cores with 12MB cache i'd say now is NOT the time to upgrade.

In 6 months your uber hardware will be worth half of what it is now.

You taking the mick? End of 07? Who the feck wants to wait that long?

Sure that's always the way anyway.

Like I said....the whole upgrade cost me 750 in total. Cheap as chips. Got my processor up to 3GHz without any trouble last night. Anyway, February is bonus month and with a 7 week old child, the possibility of having the cash to upgrade in 6 months is a laughable concept. :)
    HAHA! 18 months...in 18 months there'll be a 45nm native Quad core with 12MB of L2 cache.

Take it easy. I didn't say it'll be cutting edge, I said it'll still be fast. Jesus, you're a real wet rag at the party...or jealous. :P
    WillieDH wrote:
    Come on Khannie, post the pics !!!

PURE TECH PRON I BET !!!

HAHAHA. I lol'd. I'll post them tonight. Got the PC back to "normal" status last night (long story) and managed to get a nice overclock. Happy!

It is always the case, as soon as you buy any hardware it becomes obsolete and out of date in no time. But you would need to be extreemly wealthy to keep up.

What he has will last him 2 years no problem at all. Might need a gpu update if dx11 is brough out or something.

Now show us the damn pics you monkey !

Anti wrote:
    Now show us the damn pics you monkey !

lol.gif

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote:
    Take it easy. I didn't say it'll be cutting edge, I said it'll still be fast. Jesus, you're a real wet rag at the party...or jealous.

JEALOUS?...LOL!, check my specs:

Gigabyte DQ6 - rev 2.0, F10a bios | Conroe E6600 Week 28 - 426x8, Vcore 1.4125V | OCZ ProXStream 1000W PSU | Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic | WD Raptors ADFD 16MB cache firmware 00NLR1 - 2 drive RAID 0 64k stripe | XFX 7900GS 256MB RAM | G.SKILL HZ 2GB kit 0627 | Scythe Ninja Plus Rev. B + Scythe 120mm fan | Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22" | Plextor 716SA 0308 with firmware 1.10 | Logitech MX3100 wireless keyboard/mouse | Netgear RangeMax DG834PN 108mbps + USB dongle | Digital Doc 5+ | 7 CoolerMaster 80mm blue LED fans | Aopen H700A tower case | Vista Home Premium - 32bit

And i plan to buy one of these when they drop, and it'll work with my current mobo:

E6850 3.00 GHz 4MB 1333 MHz $266

Then i'll buy the new G90 nVidia card based on 65nm with Direct X 10.1...my PC will TROUNCE YOURS! :D

Then i'll buy the new G90 nVidia card based on 65nm with Direct X 10.1...my PC will TROUNCE YOURS! :D

...and then....in Q4 '12 I'll buy this DX 19 card, and and and a R89098890 and my PC will TROUNCE YOURS! :rolleyes:

or....even better.....I'll be able to tell you what a waste it was....that you should have waited another 9 months. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Would you be so kind as to let me stroke your e-peen Richard? Please, let me wallow in your almightiness. :rolleyes:

Lovely system Khannie, I think it has more than a few months legs :rolleyes:.

{Edit} hey, look at that, we have made a quasi-rolleye-curve. Everyone know that once the quasi-rolleye curve spreads over the distance of one post, it is legally binding that the person in question is a douche. Fact. ;)

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Great machine Khannie, really must update my own machine one of these days.
    Hmnn I suspect Richard Dower is taking the whole e-penis thing too literally.

I have to say so what if your computer isn't the most all powerful uber machine ever. As long as it does what you need it to do, then it's the best thing ever. Righto Richard?!

JEALOUS?...LOL!, check my specs:

:rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic!! (with a bit of e-penis thrown in), point is you'll never be on top as there is always something new coming out, but the time of price drops on Intel chips is rapidly approaching.

Wait until the Summer and you'll build an even better PC for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

yeah, then wait 6 months after that and youll build an even better one again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wait until the Summer and you'll build an even better PC for the same money.

Ah you always want to wait until xxx Richard. We can't always be waiting and waiting and not building! You'd never get anything done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Ah jesus Khannie, are you going to post the pics or do we all have to come over to your gaff with out digital cameras and take our own ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

PC hardware only becomes outdated when the software catches up if you get the case ,psu and drives right you can change the cpu and mobo every two years.Buying the latest gpu at a premium price before the games come out to support it is just for show.(guilty)

Does anybody know where i could source a Cool-it Freezone cooler.

http://www.coolitsystems.com/

Advertisement