Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAN L&GB Posters Who

Options
  • 13-03-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

All posters (and you know who you are!) who immediately go off topic as soon as another poster says "I'm straight" or "I'm not gay" should be banned.

A good example of this, is the thread "Ever been fooled" .

Why are people so anal about others' need to describe themselves on this forum if they feel they want to, after all the thread is the important thing not the posters!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Certainly don't agree with this proposal.

Some people perhaps feel that stating their position provides a greater context for their post which in my view makes it a perfectly acceptable practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Oh, okay.

Make a list of all posters and I'll ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Some people perhaps feel that stating their position provides a greater context for their post which in my view makes it a perfectly acceptable practice.

Read my post again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Or you could try actually reading the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You are indeed dead right, I misread the post, apologies all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Well, why not ban the person who took it off-topic, viz. the person who pointed out their heterosexuality when it wasn't actually relevant?

Well, why not ban the person who took it off-topic, viz. the person who pointed out their heterosexuality when it wasn't actually relevant?

Probably because we'd end up banning every str8 person that ever posted in here.

Posters who point out their sexuality (PWPOTS) are at worst only mildly off topic. Its the reponses to PWPOTS that are wildly off topic.

If they are the OP can they even be off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Acrosss all forums people should need to add a suffix to there username
    vinnie69_gay, redblooded_straight, and so on

subscribers could have optional extras

John78_Straight (In case my brother is reading these posts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

MicraBoy wrote:
    Posters who point out their sexuality (PWPOTS) are at worst only mildly off topic. Its the reponses to PWPOTS that are wildly off topic.
    Look at the thread the OP here cited as an example, more than one third of the first post there dedicated to pointing out that they're straight.

So the topic set by the opening post is only mostly being convinced by trannies with the fact that the poster is straight being about 40% of the topic.

You can't say people commenting on that were off-topic if it was 40% of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I definitely find the derailing of the threads more annoying than the original pointless addition.

• Advertisement

Look at the thread the OP here cited as an example, more than one third of the first post there dedicated to pointing out that they're straight.

So the topic set by the opening post is only mostly being convinced by trannies with the fact that the poster is straight being about 40% of the topic.

You can't say people commenting on that were off-topic if it was 40% of the topic.

I think that is massaging the figures somewhat. He asked a very specific question and added some additional info. He didn't ask for comment on his sexuality, just understanding in case he was intruding on the forum (as far as I read it).

And if we want to be pedantic about it, I reckon he dedicated 6% of his post to pointing out his sexuality (2 words out of ~34). ;)

I'm with Crucifix on this. The thread ended up talking about something totally different to the question that was originally asked. The lack of genuine response was because it was posted in the wrong forum in the first place. He required answers from straight people not from gay people, which is why no one was able to contribute anything positive (myself included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ACtually the thread addresses both aspects of the op's post,
    about thier need to out themsleves and the topic of telling the gender of a person.

Now if you really think that the tread is such a mess why not suggest that it be split into two threads ?

Why not make a thread about how posting and outting your straightness is daft and that we all should be above such things as we strive for a better socitey ?
    Why not start that here ?

Thaedydal wrote:
    ACtually the thread addresses both aspects of the op's post,
    about thier need to out themsleves and the topic of telling the gender of a person.

Now if you really think that the tread is such a mess why not suggest that it be split into two threads ?

Why not make a thread about how posting and outting your straightness is daft and that we all should be above such things as we strive for a better socitey ?

Ah ! The chief offender has raise his head ! It was you who inspired me to start this thread with your first comment "hmmm I wonder should i'm straight and by the way i'm straight becum banning offenses." in the "Ever been fooled thread. This your bandwagon! Nearly every thread that I have read on this forum that someone posting has mentioned that they are straight or non-gay, You immediately start going off on your hobby-horse, I know that it annoys you but it is destructive in two ways (1) you go on topic (2) If a poster feels more comfortable defining their sexuality then that is their right.

I don't intend this to be a personal attack on Thedydal, so I will use the royal "One" from here on.
    When One starts "you don't have to say your straight on the forum" it immediately sends out a message to the poster either "yea yea we know that you are gay and hiding " or "you are straight! This a gay forum and only gays are welcome here"

Thedydal, if you feel offended by remarks, I am sorry. You are not the only offender, there many more here on this forum.

Thanks to everyone who partakes in this thread

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You know I read that other thread at the time, and I also felt his comment came across as "I'm afraid someone might think I'm gay so I'll just let everyone know right from the start, that I'm not"
    It deserved commenting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

You know I read that other thread at the time, and I also felt his comment came across as "I'm afraid someone might think I'm gay so I'll just let everyone know right from the start, that I'm not"

I read it that way too but why does it deserve commenting on?
    Who's business or concern is it if some one needs to make such a declaration, any more than those people who "need" declare their gayness.

Such petty things engage the minds of people here - luckily there are no more significance things to be concerned about - legal rights, partnership entitlements, being allowed to donate blood etc. etc.

I am past been surprised at a forum contributed by people who advocate their right to better treratment (by society et al) yet continue the same old traits themselves.

Unnecessary criticism of people when they post can only put them off posting further - not sure of the need for a forum that discourages contributions.

Beruthiel wrote:

It doesn't! If a poster wants to describe themselves as a "tree" it doesn't matter ! Its what they want to talk about is the thread! For example, if I post on Boards.ie on the Gardening forum as "Angry Southsider Vinnie69" and my thread is about growing turnips, I do expect other posters to give me advise about turnips but not discuss if I am really angry or if I am from the south side.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Actually the thread addresses both aspects of the op's post,

The original post didn't have two aspects! It was one simple question. You are simply forcing a second aspect out of someones insecurity.
    Thaedydal wrote:

That's commendable but since it's your agenda I think you should look after it.
    Beruthiel wrote:

The fact is that it is not acceptable to repeatedly raise this issue when one knows full well it has been beaten to death on other threads (hijacked threads).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Well, i'm straight and i think...uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ban them, and ban users that make vague lude and off topic references to sex in threads also, aye Vinnie?

I don't find it annoying, I find it slightly miss guided. I mean if people think your gay for posting here, then there probably to stupid to pay any attention to what you say regarding your sexuality.

Boston the Bi-Sexual.

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Ah ! The chief offender has raise his head !

Her head actually.
    Now should I have to state that ever time I post to make sure no one mistakes me for a male ?

The thing is, is my gender or my sexual gender preference relevant ?
    In the thread that was started about being fooled, was the gender or the sexual gender preference of the Op relevant ?
    I don't think it was at all.
    Vinnie69 wrote:
    It was you who inspired me to start this thread with your first comment "hmmm I wonder should i'm straight and by the way i'm straight becum banning offenses." in the "Ever been fooled thread. This your bandwagon! Nearly every thread that I have read on this forum that someone posting has mentioned that they are straight or non-gay, You immediately start going off on your hobby-horse, I know that it annoys you but it is destructive in two ways (1) you go on topic (2) If a poster feels more comfortable defining their sexuality then that is their right.

I think it is a dumb thing to do and I pity anyone who feels oppressed enough by the country and times and society we live in to have to make such a declaration.

The declaration was not made so much for the users of this forum but for other users if they should happen to find a post by them in this forum.

We see the same thing again and again, people wanting to have a discussion but do to such oppression covering thier asses if anyone from elsewhere on boards were to see a post by them here.

Which I think is sad and it also sets up the precedent that if you do not post
    I am straight then therefore you must be gay.

Vinnie69 wrote:
    I don't intend this to be a personal attack on Thedydal, so I will use the royal "One" from here on

I don't see you raising this topic as an attack and clearly you don't know me well enough to try make it personal.
    Vinnie69 wrote:
    When One starts "you don't have to say your straight on the forum" it immediately sends out a message to the poster either "yea yea we know that you are gay and hiding " or "you are straight! This a gay forum and only gays are welcome here"

Nope, maybe to your mind. What a posters' sexual gender preferene is is not my concern unless it is relevant to the topic and they mention it.
    I would never assume what anyones what thier sexual gender preference is even after meeting them never mind tell them what thier sexual gender preferences is or should be that would be presumptious, rude and callous.
    Some people know, some people it takes them years to find and figure it out.

I certainly don't think that this forum should be seculded away from the rest of the community on boards. I think that at times there seems to be the idea that it is and that someone coming to post here must out themselves in order to post here. By having an not outing policy we would be more inclusive.

As for it being off topic or not I will get the mods of this forum make that call.
    And if they wish to warn, censor me or make a ruling on this issue I will abide by it.
    I read it that way too but why does it deserve commenting on?
    Who's business or concern is it if some one needs to make such a declaration, any more than those people who "need" declare their gayness.

I commented on it because such labeling is harmful to my mind.
    Such petty things engage the minds of people here - luckily there are no more significance things to be concerned about - legal rights, partnership entitlements, being allowed to donate blood etc. etc.

I am active in a number of ways, just because you don't see or hear about it does not mean I don't do my share of lobbying as I have always done from the time I was WRO in college and helped set up the lgb soc.
    I am past been surprised at a forum contributed by people who advocate their right to better treratment (by society et al) yet continue the same old traits themselves.

I do find the turn arround in certain gay circles to hetro bashing to be sickening as I do when anyone tries to belittle some one using gender slurs sexual or otherwise.

Hopefully as we move forward and I can certainly see it in generations younger then myself being gay/straight/bisexual/undecided is not worth mentioning or a something that is given any consideration unless you are trying to make a move on someone cos you fancy them.
    Vinnie69 wrote:
    It doesn't! If a poster wants to describe themselves as a "tree" it doesn't matter ! Its what they want to talk about is the thread! For example, if I post on Boards.ie on the Gardening forum as "Angry Southsider Vinnie69" and my thread is about growing turnips, I do expect other posters to give me advise about turnips but not discuss if I am really angry or if I am from the south side.

But your nick is not "Angry Southsider Vinnie69" and the op's was not Hetrodave. The reference to thier sexual gender preference was in the body of the post. If it was off topic then that is where the thread went off topic and if the mods wanted to call it from there and take action then fair enough.

Thaedydal,
    (the bisexual dyslexic pagan Mammy with two kids, a cat :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Oh shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up..

#

We try to take it slow
    But we're still losin control
    And we try to make it work
    But it still isn't the worst
    And I'm craaazzzy
    For tryin to be your laaadddy
    I think I'm goin crazy

Girl, me and you were just fine (you know)
    We wine and dine
    Did them things that couples do when in love (you know)
    Walks on the beach and stuff (you know)
    Things that lovers say and do
    I love you boo, I love you too
    I miss you a lot, I miss you even more
    That's why I flew you out
    When we was on tour
    But then something got out of hand
    You start yellin when I'm with my friends
    Even though I had legitimate reasons #

Shut up
    Just shut up
    Shut up [3x]
    Shut it up, just shut up
    Shut up
    Just shut up
    Shut up [3x]
    Shut it up, just shut up

Tristrame - the don't give a damn sexual

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tristrame - the don't give a damn sexual

Tsk, shouldn't you point out your masculinity when you come in the door ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

FFS, its just for clarity! If anyone wants to say it, why shouldnt they? If it annoys you, dont read the post!

Any time I ever stated it was because, when i first started posting here, I thought it was only LGB's that posted here, and that they would all have a diff point of view to me.

Theres more harm in moaning about someone sayin they're straight than saying it!

Its like the #1 thing to make non-LGB's feel unwelcome here, a sort of Heterophobia

unreggd wrote:
    FFS, its just for clarity! If anyone wants to say it, why shouldnt they? If it annoys you, dont read the post!

Any time I ever stated it was because, when i first started posting here, I thought it was only LGB's that posted here, and that they would all have a diff point of view to me.

Theres more harm in moaning about someone sayin they're straight than saying it!

Its like the #1 thing to make non-LGB's feel unwelcome here, a sort of Heterophobia

You're not welcome, go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I don't see what the fuss is about. If someone comes to the Chinese/ Islam/ Dublin City forum and says "I'm not Chinese/ or Muslim/ from Dublin city, but I have this question for you..." nobody says "ban him". Maybe the people who suggest so should ask themselves why.

I am not a homosexual, there's nothing wrong with saying that.

unreggd wrote:

I am questioning the need to say it.

unreggd wrote:

Wow people who are gay/bi don't all think the same.
    unreggd wrote:

I am not hetrophobic, I am stupid people phobic and stupid standards phobic
    and hurtful and restricting behaviourphobic.

Why do straight posters need the comfort blanket of making this statement ?

Right bottom line

By posting what your sexuality is you guys are creating a standard whereby people feel they should/have to post what there sexual preferences are. All of you admit you post it because you perceive some need to do so. If it wasn't pretty much standard practice to post "I'm straight" nobody would feel pressurised into doing so. Democrat himself made the point that in the absence of a declaration of sexuality gay may be implied. That is exactly the type of thing that should be avoided here, the pressure to label, to pick a side and stick with it. Please don't pretend there isn't pressure on others to follow suite.

This also makes this forum a difficult place for someone who is questioning or uncertain.
    If they don't know yet how the hell are they to premise thier posts.

• Advertisement

This is hilarious. Now this thread is hijacked by arguing whether it is right or wrong to post what your sexuality is.

We don't need any more disucssion on it! We already know. We understand. Hell we even agree! The point is that you don't have the right to hijack threads because someone mentions they are str8/gay/bi/lesbian/questioning/donkey-loving.

It's just chaff. Blow it away, and grind the wheat.
    This also makes this forum a difficult place for someone who is questioning or uncertain.
    If they don't know yet how the hell are they to premise thier posts.

Nobody ever, ever has a go at someone who declares they are bi/gay or questioning. Nobody ever derails the thread saying you didn't need to point that out.

Advertisement