Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAN L&GB Posters Who

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

MicraBoy wrote:
    Nobody ever, ever has a go at someone who declares they are bi/gay or questioning. Nobody ever derails the thread saying you didn't need to point that out.

Nobody really makes those kinds of posts. They are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

They are few and far between.

As are the straight people with the balls not mention their straightness when posting in an LGB forum.

MicraBoy wrote:
    As are the straight people with the balls not mention their straightness when posting in an LGB forum.

Exactly the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Thaedydal wrote:
    I am questioning the need to say it.

Wow people who are gay/bi don't all think the same.

I am not hetrophobic, I am stupid people phobic and stupid standards phobic
    and hurtful and restricting behaviourphobic.

Why do straight posters need the comfort blanket of making this statement ?

This is the nub of my OP, why are you are questioning straight posters' need to state their sexuality ? Its their call ! Whether it is someone who doubts their own sexually or feels more comfortable mentioning their sexuality, that that is their right not ours to question.

You say that you are not hetrophoblic but you come across as being that when you question their needs. Get over it,lady ! And please don't take my comments out of context, you are not fooling anyone who has read the original.

Vinnie69 wrote:
    This is the nub of my OP, why are you are questioning straight posters' need to state their sexuality ? Its their call ! Whether it is someone who doubts their own sexually or feels more comfortable mentioning their sexuality, that that is their right not ours to question.

Why not, after all their the ones that are bringing it up.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    Why not, after all their the ones that are bringing it up.

Because it is not important, their topic is the important part of the thread not their sexuality. Reread my original OP:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They clearly seem to think that it is, other wise why add the caveat ?

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Because it is not important, their topic is the important part of the thread not their sexuality. Reread my original OP:D

So they should be banned for going off topic when mentioning there sexuality?

They clearly seem to think that it is, other wise why add the caveat ?

You've been presented loads of reasons why. It isn't an excuse to hijack threads.

You know, if I posted "I'm Bi'Sexual" in even half of most posts on this site, it wouldn't be long before I ran into trouble.

• Advertisement

I don't see it as hijacking I see it as challenging the stupid oppressvie reasons why such a caveat would be needed.

Like I said if the mods make a rules on it and amend the charter.....
    if not then such caveats are part of the post and the whole post is up for debae and discussion.

No offence but you and Thaedydal point out your bisexuality on a regular basis.

I think you'll find I hard to local a post where I reference my sexuality outside this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i think you'll find it hard to locate the poster's you are objecting to ("I'm straight") posts having referenced their sexuality outside this forum too.

Btw i'm straight just in case anyone didn't catch it the last couple of times i've posted here. ;)

MicraBoy wrote:
    No offence but you and Thaedydal point out your bisexuality on a regular basis.

Yup at times I do, but it is in context to my posts and not out of the blue and as an aside.

Honestly I started doing it after some very ignorant remarks that assumed that as I had two children I was hetrosexual and a breeder.

Put I don't add a caveat to my posts everytime in the christainity forum when I post stating I am pagan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Have you ever done so, like on your first post maybe?

RuggieBear wrote:
    i think you'll find it hard to locate the poster's you are objecting to ("I'm straight") posts having referenced their sexuality outside this forum too.

That really is the point. I only post it when it's relavent, so why do these guys post it when it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

InFront wrote:
    I don't see what the fuss is about. If someone comes to the Chinese/ Islam/ Dublin City forum and says "I'm not Chinese/ or Muslim/ from Dublin city, but I have this question for you..." nobody says "ban him". Maybe the people who suggest so should ask themselves why.

I am not a homosexual, there's nothing wrong with saying that.

You know, my posts on the Dublin forum generally don't read like:

"What are people's recommendations for places to eat out in Dublin?

PS: I'm from Cork like!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Surely you'll have seen this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066135

Why's he saying he's from Donegal? What's he afrad of? Why's he dragging the post off topic? Ban?

I hadn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

@ in front

The difference is ..

You've brought up an example of a person who had to say they were never in Cork.
    Thats pertinent information as then the answers are geared with that in mind with extra info if necessary.

Straight people posting here don't have to worry about misconceptions unless they are insecure-not about their sexuality but about how other people see them.
    It's unnecessary unless it's necessary.
    Your own sexuality should only be brought into a disussion here imho if it's relevant.Most of the time believe it or not it isn't.

InFront wrote:
    Have you ever done so, like on your first post maybe?

Nope it wasn't relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The only person who cares is azezil. But you'll also need to specify your age to keep him happy.

That really is the point. I only post it when it's relavent, so why do these guys post it when it isn't

Sad but true = Straight people seem to think its relevant.

MicraBoy wrote:
    Sad but true = Straight people seem to think its relevant.

Well then should we not be doing our bit to explain it isn't ?
    Yes it is sad, but until it is pointed out most people won't know any better.

Boston wrote:
    So they should be banned for going off topic when mentioning there sexuality?
    You have not read the OP or else you cannot understand it (I am being kind here!)

For the last time, It is not the poster mentioning their sexuality as an add-on to their threadbut the people who are annoyed or who start wondering why the poster mention their sexuality should be banned !

I am being to wonder whether people who don't read the OP and join-in nilly-willy to a thread should be also banned !!! (I joke, of course !):D

Originally Posted by MicraBoy
    Sad but true = Straight people seem to think its relevant
    Thaedydal wrote:

No we haven't the right to point it out to them. I too, have thought from time to time that a poster may be testing the waters about their sexuality but the point is that we (L&G&B) should not confronting them.

After all, most of us have at some time in our life adopted a "straight" role as society nurtures us that way.

No we shouldn't because it causes the thread to get derailed. Simple as. It is better to have posters contributing and making minor faux pas, than it is to have threads killed off by side issues.

In my opinion the charter should say something like:

It is not neccessary to point out your sexuality when posting (str8/gay/bi/lesbian/queer/confused) unless relevant to the post. However you will not be banned for doing it. You will be banned for attacking a poster who has pointed out his sexuality unneccessarily.

Vinnie69 wrote:
    You have not read the OP or else you cannot understand it (I am being kind here!)
    I understand it perfectly,

For the last time, It is not the poster mentioning their sexuality as an add-on to their threadbut the people who are annoyed or who start wondering why the poster mention their sexuality should be banned !

Why should one type of "being off topic" earn a ban and not another. my suggests are a logical progression of your idea.

• Advertisement

MicraBoy wrote:
    No we shouldn't because it causes the thread to get derailed. Simple as. It is better to have posters contributing and making minor faux pas, than it is to have threads killed off by side issues.

In my opinion the charter should say something like:

It is not neccessary to point out your sexuality when posting (str8/gay/bi/lesbian/queer/confused) unless relevant to the post. However you will not be banned for doing it. You will be banned for attacking a poster who has pointed out his sexuality unneccessarily.

"Thats my Boy" MicraBoy :D Lets hope the Mods take this on board !

Boston I understand your logic but in this instance when a poster mentions their sexuality, it might be the real reason that they want to post but feel uncomfortable doing so, so we must allow them to do it. This is only forum I feel that this "off topic" should be allowed because of the sensitivity of the subject.

Advertisement