Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAN L&GB Posters Who

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not start a thread and sticky it for all the posters who want to declare to the lgb forum and the rest of boards apprently thier 'straightness'.
    This would give them a space to do it and they woudl not have have an aside in a thread.
    The charter could point to it and says there you go, don't post about your sexual gender preference unless it is relevant to your post and give examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Alternatively people could just ignore such comments which would seem the more measured approach to take.
    It’s only an issue on the forum because people choose to make it one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Alternatively people could just ignore such comments which would seem the more measured approach to take.
    It’s only an issue on the forum because people choose to make it one

Exactly, making a great big nothing outta something
    Thaedydal wrote:
    The charter could point to it and says there you go, don't post about your sexual gender preference unless it is relevant to your post and give examples.

What makes you think you have the right to state if it's relevant to a person's post? Its their post, not yours. If someone feels its relevant, its their call.

And whats so bad about it that you cant just look the other way? You seem to be associating with something along the lines of "I rode 5 birds last night, and drunk 25 beers"

Theres always people saying this forum is quite quiet at times, and that you want more straight people in on your threads, but how can you expect it when every second thread is turned into a compaint about "Hey, I'm actually straight"

Its not a need, its a want

[imo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

unreggd wrote:
    What makes you think you have the right to state if it's relevant to a person's post? Its their post, not yours. If someone feels its relevant, its their call.

Look, it either is relavent or it isn't. If it is then people have a 'right' to comment on it, if it isn't then they have a right to point that out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Thaedydal wrote:
    Why not start a thread and sticky it for all the posters who want to declare to the lgb forum and the rest of boards apprently thier 'straightness'.
    This would give them a space to do it and they woudl not have have an aside in a thread.

Come on, come on, stop trying to flog a dead horse! When you see the "I'm Straight" just ignore it like the rest of us and after a while it won't bother you .

By the way, the mods swiss, ixoy, Stark and gandalf are conspicuous by their lack of comment on this thread!

• Advertisement

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Come on, come on, stop trying to flog a dead horse! When you see the "I'm Straight" just ignore it like the rest of us and after a while it won't bother you .

By the way, the mods swiss, ixoy, Stark and gandalf are conspicuous by their lack of comment on this thread!

Gandalf isn't a moderator here in that sense. He's more of a sub, stark is the only realyl active moderator here.

Boston wrote:
    You're not welcome, go away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Vinnie69 wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, I just ignore posters who feel the need to say "BTW I'm blah". It's a bit irritating, and it'd be great to be in a world where it wasn't too relavant, but for now I can't muster any real feeling for the matter.

As to the point of the thread, I'd be more inclined with the OP's point about those posts that attack posters who state their sexuality, one way or the other. It drags the threads off of topic and generally contributes nothing.

exactly, sure it happened right away in this thread

how ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

How is a moderator conspicious by not replying in a thread?

There seem to be two issues here, the first one being the question whether someone pointing out their sexuality in a particular thread is relevant or not. Or whether it matters if it's relevant or not. Maybe the poster thinks it's relevant. It therefore matters to him or her and is included as a matter of course. Whether other people agree or not is moot, and arguing the point usually drags whatever the thread is about off the topic. In other cases, the sexuality of the poster is decidedly relevant. If someone starts a thread asking for advice along the lines of "hey, I think my mate really fancies me, but I'm straight - what do I do?", then the sexuality of the poster informs the advice he or she recieves.

The second issue is whether people should be pulled up if they take the original poster to task for pointing out their sexuality. This is only really a question if it is very obvious that such an admission is completely irrelevant. Example: "I can't decide what I should wear to this event - I'm straight btw!!". Then it is off-topic, which is not necessarily a bannable offence, but not something that should be encouraged.

But the problem of course is that if someone (other than a moderator) points this out, then they are also off topic, poisoned by the same chalice, if I may use that metaphor (and hell, why not, I may). So how does a person voice disproval of the irrelevant practice of pointing out one's sexuality? Well, theres the facility to report a post to a moderator. In all likelihood, Stark, being the active one as Boston correctly pointed out *rar* will get to it first. My guess is he would ignore it, like I would. Because it usually really really isn't worth the hassle of pointing all this out.

If it persists however, then it could be something that we could do something about. Whether we would do something about it is another question, and probably something we would examine on a case by case basis. And by we, I guess I mean Stark as well, since I don't really visit with the regularity to make an informed decision.

Oh, and since we're talking about irrelevant details, I am from Waterford, and today is my birthday.

• Advertisement

Happy birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What is the point of an LGB board?

If the point is to get LGB people's view on things then I believe if a non-LGB poster wishes to comment stating their sexuality is essential.
    If the point is to discuss issues such as homophobia then I believe in many cases stating one's sexuality is necessary, as well as their background and experiences, as part of a normal anecdotal reference.
    If the point is to discuss in very formal terms the law relating to LGBs and anything non-anecdotal about LGBs then stating one's sexuality is not necessary.

I personally don't see how the "Ever Been Fooled" topic fits in the LGB forum in the first place.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What is the point of an LGB board?

If the point is to get LGB people's view on things then I believe if a non-LGB poster wishes to comment stating their sexuality is essential.
    If the point is to discuss issues such as homophobia then I believe in many cases stating one's sexuality is necessary, as well as their background and experiences, as part of a normal anecdotal reference.
    If the point is to discuss in very formal terms the law relating to LGBs and anything non-anecdotal about LGBs then stating one's sexuality is not necessary.

I personally don't see how the "Ever Been Fooled" topic fits in the LGB forum in the first place.

Your opinion has been noted. Have a Nice day

Boston wrote:
    Your opinion has been noted. Have a Nice day
    what the hell is your problem!?

All them posts make perfect sense and you just disregard them completely

You have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You have issues

No, he just has a finely tuned sense of sarcasm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

unreggd wrote:
    In that case lets ban irrelevant mentions of ones orientation in the interests of improving composition skills in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Huh? That's the correct spelling.

It looks like social services came and took his apostrophes away after reports of neglect though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Isn't this somebody who raises cattle or dogs ? ;)
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Honestly I started doing it after some very ignorant remarks that assumed that as I had two children I was hetrosexual and a breeder.

Foad

Advertisement