Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike helmet lifespan?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Guys, I have a Giro helmet which, as far as I recall, was bought about 10 years ago. It was an expensive one, £120 at the time, so still looks good and it has been well looked after, never crashed or dropped and had only minor use.

My question is this: Do helmets have a limited lifespan after which they should be replaced regardless of condition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The FAQ on Giro's website says:
    Giro FAQ wrote:
    How often should a helmet be replaced?
    Giro has a general recommendation of replacing your helmet every three (3) years.If you are unsure of the condition of your helmet, or whether it should be replaced, call us at (800) 456-2355 or email feedback@giro.com for information on a free inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Thanks for that. 3 years is relatively short, but not unsurprising. I wonder what proportion of cyclists change their skid lid every 36 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

el tel wrote:
    3 years is relatively short, but not unsurprising.
    Yeah not surprising that a company selling helmets says you should buy as many as they can sell without sounding too greedy.

I would love to get a brand new one and send it back for a "free inspection" telling them it was 5 years old, would probably tell me it was useless ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Older helmets used to suffer from sunlight exposure issues as far as I can recall. So it might be a good idea to have it checked. Also I've no problem replacing a helmet every 3 years, as I use one 5/6 days a week it makes sense to if not sooner

Older helmets used to suffer from sunlight exposure issues as far as I can recall. So it might be a good idea to have it checked. Also I've no problem replacing a helmet every 3 years, as I use one 5/6 days a week it makes sense to if not sooner

yeah, I've heard that UV light can have a cumulative damaging effect on helmets however what this damage is, and to what extent, is something I'd like to find out about. Seems like a new one is on the cards for me...dilemma is which one to chose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I replace my helmet everytime it takes a knock. That unfortunately is a lot more often than once every 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I change mine every year just to be safe as i have had helmets split on me before

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm coming up on 5 years now and thinking of getting a new one in the next few months.

Checked insidemy old Giro Helios and discovered it's 10 years old this month so decided its time for a new one. Had a look at some helmets at the weekend and was surprised at what I found. The one I wanted most, Met Stradavarius II in limited edition red-white-blue, couldn't be found in my size in the shop (chainreactioncyles) and the others, including one top-end Bell item had what felt like a spike in the inside just wouldn't do. In the end I went for a Spiuk Nexion in the Caisse D'Epargne/Illes Balears Pro team colours like this:

Dauphine06-s5-008.jpg

Am very pleased with it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Thats a nice helmet. I have a met and find it very comfortable. It cost €120 so Ill probably hold on to it for more than 3 years!

• Advertisement
Advertisement