Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencers

Options
  • 13-03-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

hi lads
    while puttin a deposit on a brno at the weekend i was told
    that a permit was needed if i wanted a silencer and was shown the paper work from the gardai verifing this ...
    does that mean if someone has one on their rifle already
    that they also need a permit ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

does that mean if someone has one on their rifle already
    that they also need a permit ....
    If it's a seperate part, yes. If it's integral, I think it's included in the description of the rifle and thus is covered by your normal cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

thanks civdef straight to the point ....
    a mate bought his gun a few years ago with silencer and didnt know about this rule .when did it come into effect ... and what does he have to do now ????

thanks sparks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You have always needed an authorization letter from the Super for it, alot of dealers will sell them and let the indvidule worry about authorization though.

• Advertisement

hi rew
    id say thats what happened in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As a slight aside, in the same way that we Irish shooters have 'guns' or 'firearms' as opposed to 'weapons', it's generally perceived to be good practice to refer to these devices as 'suppressors' or 'moderators' instead of 'silencers'.

I know it's a small point and we shooters know and understand the intent and use of these devices in sport shooting, but in the great ongoing PR campaign to differentiate sport shooting from the criminal use of guns, it costs us nothing to avoid using terms that blur that differentiation in the minds of the general public/media/politicians.

point taken rovi
    i was and should have put moderator..
    but even though i put silencer everyone knew what i was talking about ??? so no harm done ???

My post wasn't intended as a dig at you, hunter, and I apologise if it appeared as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

fully agree with Rovi

I rang the local Sergeant yesterday and asked how do I get a permit for a moderator and he said "a what?"

So I had to say a silencer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Should have asked him Veg ,do I need a permit for a moderator or a silencer or a suppressor and whats the difference between them?.Sit back then and listen to the sound of brain exploding on the other end of the phone.:D
    Actually on a point of rovis.Has anyone ever heard of a silencer being used in a criminal act here in Ireland?Would really like to know has the silencer a major bad rap like the switchblade more from Hollywood or from actual criminal useage?

Has anyone ever heard of a silencer being used in a criminal act here in Ireland?
    Of course not, that's the whole point of a silencer.

:p
    :D

The wording comes from the Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990, where the word "silencer" is used. This was tidied up in the Criminal Justice Act 2006, where the term was finally defined.

There's no point any more trying to split hairs between moderator/suppressor/silencer etc, they're all covered now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Should have asked him Veg ,do I need a permit for a moderator or a silencer or a suppressor and whats the difference between them?.Sit back then and listen to the sound of brain exploding on the other end of the phone.:D

I like it, good sport for a rainy day :D My local Garda told me I'm gone gun mad :o

Actually on a point of rovis.Has anyone ever heard of a silencer being used in a criminal act here in Ireland?Would really like to know has the silencer a major bad rap like the switchblade more from Hollywood or from actual criminal useage?

Yeah, the HK MP5 recoved in Clondalkin a few months back there was a silencer recovered with it. Also the plumber who was in the wrong place at the wrong time was reported to have been shot with a silenced pistol. There the 2 that stick out in my head.

Rovi wrote:
    My post wasn't intended as a dig at you, hunter, and I apologise if it appeared as such.
    hi rovi
    no need to apologise i didnt take it like that ...

so back to original question
    what do you need when applying for a permit for a
    supressor/moderator/silencer...????

A good reason to have one would be the main thing you'd need TH.

will i have to get the landowners that signed my forms to sign again ???

the hunter wrote:

Get them to write a letter requesting the use of a moderator so as not to disturbe livestock or neighbours.

• Advertisement

the hunter wrote:
    They'd be fine, but you'd need to get them to sign a note/letter asking you use a 'silencer' (:D) in order to reduce noise disturbance to livestock/neighbours/whatever or somesuch.

The Gardai will (hopefully) be giving you 'permission' to possess the thing, but it'll be up to you to produce a 'need'.
    Your landowners giving you 'permission' to use one won't cut any ice, but them 'requiring' you to use one 'in the interests of health and safety' is what you're looking for.

From the Firearms & Offensive Weapions Act 1990.
    7.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence if he has in his possession or sells or transfers to another person a silencer unless the possession, sale or transfer is authorised in writing by the superintendent of the district in which the first-mentioned person resides.

(2) A superintendent shall not grant an authorisation under this section unless he is satisfied that the person who is to have possession of the silencer or to whom it is to be sold or transferred is the holder of a firearm certificate for a firearm to which the silencer can be fitted and that—

( a ) having regard to all the circumstances, the possession, sale or transfer concerned will not endanger the public safety or the peace, and
    ( b ) the person has a special need that is, in the opinion of the superintendent, sufficient to justify the granting of the authorisation for the silencer.

thaks rovi ..

Sparks wrote:
    Of course not, that's the whole point of a silencer.

:p
    :D

Ah!that brings up the old question,do you need a silencer to shoot a mime artist????:D
    Always wonderd on Rews point how can you tell the difference was anyone shot with a silenced weapon???There are no significant differences to the bullet or casing than from an unsilenced gun.Unless they recoverd a subsonic shell casing,so marked.

Lack of lound bang noises is always a good indicator. I suspect powder-burn patterns might be a bit different too, at close range.

In a noisy urban enviroment these days??Reckon you could fire a FA uzi and most folks wouldnt know it as a firearm discharge:) .Belive it or not most non shooting people dont actually know what a gun shot sounds like.

Powder burns,hmmm must look into that one.;) Or maybe there was a simple old pillow with two holes in it at the crime scene,or the best silencer according to "pros "point blank into the central torso mass.:eek:

Needs suggestions for a silencer.

Noise pollution reduction under the Health and Saftey acts to the general enviroment. Eu directive somthing or other...:rolleyes:
    Reduction of alarming and disconnerting livestock and dwellers in the countryside by gunshot.
    Necessary for multi shots on herds of deer for a cull.
    Use around semi urban areas for culls of pests or game.
    Err just coz I want one??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

As a matter of interst what calibre brno was it? how many notes?

bigkev49 wrote:
    As a matter of interst what calibre brno was it? how many notes?
    .22 e370

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Hi,
    You definately need a seperate permit for a silencer whether its on the gun already or you purchased it at a later date after you purchased your rifle. You also need a reason to posess one!! I applied for mine to the local station here in Dundalk I don't know if it's because of where I live but I had a very hard time getting the permit. I ended up having to get a letter from my doctor to say I had hearing damage and needed the silencer to prevent it from getting any worse (and no I was not in the PDF :-) lol ). All in all you're better having it, if you are caught in possesion of a rifle with a supressor fitted say goodbye to your licence!.

Mez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

In a noisy urban enviroment these days??Reckon you could fire a FA uzi and most folks wouldnt know it as a firearm discharge:) .Belive it or not most non shooting people dont actually know what a gun shot sounds like.

Thats very true!

Nothing i've ever fired has ever sounded like what they simulate in the movies. That being the non shooters only real frame of reference. Hollywood has alot to answer for.

Advertisement